U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:42 PM

33 posts, read 55,053 times

Advertisements

Oh and thank you so much for all the responses. Yall have been very helpfull, and very informative. I really can't thank you guys enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 10:35 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,288,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texheat00 View Post
its almost is as if time forgot yall.
It had, until McCain went and put our Gov in the spotlight. Now we can't get off of the front page of the tabloids!

Old 07-11-2009, 11:50 AM

6,306 posts, read 4,178,481 times
Quote:
My family and I are seriously thinking of moving to Alaska. To start off we are not searching for anything except a safer place to raise our children. We have 3 boys 18, 9 and 4. We are all Texans born and raised. However our lovely state is starting to loose its appeal for many reasons. So after atleast 2 years of debating we finally decided that Alaska would be the best place to finish raising our family and spend our remaining years together . I have done sooo much research and everything comes back the same, what I mean is everything looks so good its hard to make a decision. I'm looking for a place thats near a hospital ( i am a S.T and my wife is a Sonographer) for work ,but I still want that "wild" feel about home. Lots of trees and wildlife. And probobly most important a healthy and strong community and schools for my sons. I still think it is important for them to get as much interaction with children thier age as possible. I know I'm asking for alot, but I owe it too my family too find exactly what we need. Does anyone have any sugestions on where we should start?We are planning a vacation trip next Spring and would like it to be a vacation/scouting trip. Any help would be so greatly appreciated!
We considered Juneau very seriously and we decided against it due to being land locked. It looks like a wonderful town and very beautiful but we like to explore and you can't do that in Juneau nearly to the extent you can in the South Central. If you do consider Juneau get ahold of Bartlett hospital. They offered us a contract and moving re-reimbursement although it was a poor offer in relation to what Providence in Anchorage offered.

We ended up landing in the Valley and we really enjoy the location. We can go north, south, east and well kinda west on a walk about. Colony seems to be a solid school and they have a strong sports program with high participation. Our kiddo's have been on their own for a while now so I can't give you first hand info on the schools. The Colony info was just observation only.

For me, the wild feel has four options.

#1. You live in the city and drive 30 minutes to the wild (Anchorage)
#2. You live outside the city and walk to the wild (Palmer, Wasilla)
#3. You live in the wild (North: Talkeetna, Trapper Creek South: Soldotna, Seward, Homer)
#4. You live in the bush (Enough said)

Remember, you are moving to a state that is nothing like Texas. You are moving to the place "Where The Wild Things Are" (I loved that book). Anyway, You may want to consider an area that you can walk or drive to the wild until you have a couple of seasons under your belt. Alaska is different there is no doubt about it. It takes some getting used to and this may sound silly in this day in age but making a mistake up here can have some really bad consequences and you don't have to be that far from home.

As far as the vacation goes, We don't have a lot of roads. It's one way in and one way out. I would stick to the South Central and the Kenai. Maybe flying into Fairbanks and driving down the Parks to Anchorage then onto Homer or Seward on the Kenai would be a good trip. You would get to see the interior (Fairbanks) the Susitna valley (Denali, Trapper Creek, Talkeetna) the Mat-su Valley (Palmer, Wasilla) obviously the city (Anchorage) then the Kenai (Seward, Homer, Soldotna) You could drive back up to Anchorage and fly out of there.

Last edited by Crossfire600; 07-11-2009 at 12:01 PM..

Old 07-11-2009, 02:13 PM

3,539 posts, read 6,415,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
We considered Juneau very seriously and we decided against it due to being land locked. It looks like a wonderful town and very beautiful but we like to explore and you can't do that in Juneau nearly to the extent you can in the South Central.
If you really want to explore, avoid South Central. To many roads, too many people, and too conventional.

Go someplace like Juneau (or Bethel, Kotzebue, Barrow and other parts of Alaska) where you can truly explore. You'll need to adapt your mindset though, because boats, airplanes, snowmachines and 4w ATV's are the way to explore, not roads and cars. Just be careful how you do it because it takes a bit of education that you probably have never had (and can't get in Texas). Find local folks that will teach whatever is needed (boating, for example, if you go to Juneau).

Old 07-12-2009, 03:06 PM

I've recieved some outdoor training ( was airborne infantry and went through Ranger school in 2000 with the army) however I don't think I know enough about the "wilds of Alaska" to do any real exploring just yet. I'll probobly try and learn as much as possible from the locals who are willing to take the time and educate me, before I go tramppling around the wilderness to awful much! All the onfo everyone here has been most informative, and me and my family do very much appreciate it all!

Old 07-12-2009, 04:49 PM

639 posts, read 1,650,295 times
I really like Fairbanks, you can live just outside of the main town area and seem to be remote yet be right back in town in a few miles. There is the hospital there and various other medical places. I have heard some really good stuff about the schools here as well.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:20 PM

6,306 posts, read 4,178,481 times
Quote:
I've recieved some outdoor training ( was airborne infantry and went through Ranger school in 2000 with the army) however I don't think I know enough about the "wilds of Alaska" to do any real exploring just yet. I'll probobly try and learn as much as possible from the locals who are willing to take the time and educate me, before I go tramppling around the wilderness to awful much! All the onfo everyone here has been most informative, and me and my family do very much appreciate it all!
That is very sound thinking Don't be put off if the "locals" don't warm up right away when it comes to exploring with you. Based on the things I enjoy I found that people want to know you have your head on straight and are dependable along with other "issues" before they open up. The last thing I would want to do is to take someone snowmaching that was irresponsible and have to call their family to tell them they were killed in an avy because they wouldn't listen and took off on their own. It's another one of those shalls we say "Alaskan" things..

Old 07-13-2009, 09:44 PM

There have been alot of mixed responses here, some say its awesome, some its hell! I guess the only way for me to find out is to go on vacation.We are booking a trip real soon, I don't quite know where I'm leaning more twords the Kenai area, but we'll see( my wife is in love with Nome from pics), I'm looking at the BIG picture. I guess I'll see you guys next spring.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:15 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,173,402 times
Kenai area is nice, more secluded and smaller towns than Anchorage...If you can work and stay down here, well worth your while...day to day amenities are more than what is necessary, and temps are more moderate in comparison...

Old 07-13-2009, 11:29 PM

243 posts, read 411,169 times
Quote:
Remember, you are moving to a state that is nothing like Texas. You are moving to the place "Where The Wild Things Are" (I loved that book). Anyway, You may want to consider an area that you can walk or drive to the wild until you have a couple of seasons under your belt. Alaska is different there is no doubt about it. It takes some getting used to and this may sound silly in this day in age but making a mistake up here can have some really bad consequences and you don't have to be that far from home.
That was my favorite book when i was a wee lad! Okay back to the topic now i just had to voice my opinion for Max and the wild things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska