U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 07:07 AM

33 posts, read 55,059 times

Advertisements

We must have had a cold front come through Austin yesterday it was only 104! lol! Anyways any of yall live in Palmer or Wasilla area? Was wondering about that area, it has beautiful homes, near the medical centers, was wondering about crime? I know that its everywhere however, is it more frequent in the valley? I promise last question for awhile.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 09:03 AM

947 posts, read 3,175,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texheat00 View Post
We must have had a cold front come through Austin yesterday it was only 104! lol! Anyways any of yall live in Palmer or Wasilla area? Was wondering about that area, it has beautiful homes, near the medical centers, was wondering about crime? I know that its everywhere however, is it more frequent in the valley? I promise last question for awhile.
I once applied for a job in Dillingham and got offered the job (guess you guess where I applied? It has something to do with my name, lol!).. but had to turn it down when the organization wouldn't ay any of my relocation.. which I estimated to be about $3000, which would include airline flights for me and my dog, packing and shippig my stuff, and deposits for a place to live, utiltiy service and a few essentials once I got to town.

Alaska is beautiful and can be whatever you make it to be. If you plan, prepare and educate yourself, you'll do fine.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:47 PM

47 posts, read 248,598 times
Quote:

Both Palmer and Wasilla have new homes near the Hospital. Although the Hospital states it is in Palmer it is actually just about the same distance (driving) from both. Neighborhoods have been springing up all around both communities, and have no problem finding a house close to the hospital.

A thing to note is that the closer you live to Anchorage the higher the chance the neighborhood will have military families living in it. There are advantages and disadvantages to this. For example: Positive- Most kids from military families are very well behaved and aren't causing trouble. Negative- They rarely stick around long enough to build solid friendships.

The thing that I notice about the people in the Mat-Su Valley is that it is easy to make connections/friends and reach out to the community. It is most likely an urban/rural difference but I believe when you arent living on top of each other it is easier to be friendly and make acquaintances. You most likely could say the same thing about all rural communities across the U.S. though.

Crime: It's here in just about any form you would find in Texas, but most likely not as rampant. Gang activity is just about non-existent though, and if there are gang problems they tend to start in Anchorage and somehow make it to the Valley (but briefly).

My wife and I teach in the Palmer area and see many of the domestic issues through the kids. I can't really speak for Wasilla/Houston/Big Lake/Willow kids, but the Palmer area kids are generally good kids. The problems that they face the community face as well. Drug abuse, domestic violence, and vandalism/theft seem to be the most prevalent problems. Unfortunately they are more prevalent in the lower socio-economic areas but affect the whole community in many different ways.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:19 AM

I appreciate all the information provided, some real good information. My wife and I are both medical professionals so finding a job is not all that difficult however, finding a community for my 3 yr old to grow up in is. I Also have a 9 yr old and (2) 18 yr olds( 1, is adopted) whom I have to worry about as well. So its not a difeerent way of life I'm seeking, its a better quality of life that lures me to Alaska. My older boys are super excited, both graduate 2010, one wants to be a trooper the other a pilot, and why not. The people of Alaska( for the most part) seem to be friendly and willing to teach people thier unique way of life, to those who are willing to accept that it is a unique and new way. I feel that me and my family have alot to offer Alaska, not only with good southern values but we can be a positive impact to any community we decide to move to. I just hope everyone understands that choosing the community is solely up to me and my wife, and the well being of our family depends upon it, and thats a responsiblity we take very seriously! So to all who have given us advice, we greatly appreciate it and hope that we will the opportunity to one day meet you face to face and thank you in person, where a sincere handshake is warranted.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:41 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,606,133 times
Quote:
I appreciate all the information provided, some real good information. My wife and I are both medical professionals so finding a job is not all that difficult however, finding a community for my 3 yr old to grow up in is. I Also have a 9 yr old and (2) 18 yr olds( 1, is adopted) whom I have to worry about as well. So its not a difeerent way of life I'm seeking, its a better quality of life that lures me to Alaska. My older boys are super excited, both graduate 2010, one wants to be a trooper the other a pilot, and why not. The people of Alaska( for the most part) seem to be friendly and willing to teach people thier unique way of life, to those who are willing to accept that it is a unique and new way. I feel that me and my family have alot to offer Alaska, not only with good southern values but we can be a positive impact to any community we decide to move to. I just hope everyone understands that choosing the community is solely up to me and my wife, and the well being of our family depends upon it, and thats a responsiblity we take very seriously! So to all who have given us advice, we greatly appreciate it and hope that we will the opportunity to one day meet you face to face and thank you in person, where a sincere handshake is warranted.
I think you will do just fine in Alaska. Your biggest challenge will be your first winter in Alaska, particularly coming from Texas. Seriously consider a winter driving course if you have little or no experience driving on ice and snow.

There has been a lot of development in the Mat-Su Valley in recent years, and it is becoming more and more difficult to distinguish where Wasilla ends and Palmer begins, and visa versa. As Trouthunter pointed out, the new Regional hospital in the Valley is technically in Palmer, but downtown Palmer is still another 10 mile drive from the hospital, and so is downtown Wasilla.

Most people who drive through Wasilla don't bother to get off the Parks Highway, so from their perspective Wasilla looks like one big strip-mall, with all the businesses lining the highway. Reality, however, is quite different. Wasilla has a Main Street, and a downtown with a City Hall, just like any other stereotypical American town. You just need to get off the highway in order to see it.

Like Crossfire600, the one thing I don't particularly care for are all the big box stores that have popped up in Wasilla recently, from Sears, Walmart, and Target, to Lowes and Home Builders. They might make things more convenient for other people, but I would have preferred those stores stayed in Anchorage or Fairbanks. I prefer to shop in Alaskan owned stores, even if I have to pay a little more.

I think it would be a good idea if you picked a community that offers the same services you are used to receiving in Texas, at least initially. Once you have your foot in the door, so to speak, you can find a place that is more to your liking.

Weather should also be a consideration. Alaska is a very big state, with a lot of different weather patterns. The Alaskan Panhandle is a great deal warmer in the winter than elsewhere in Alaska, but it is also a great deal wetter. Southeast Alaska is a temperate rain forest.

Interior Alaska is where you will find all the extreme temperature ranges. It can be 100F in the summer and -60F in the winter. Summers in the interior also tend to be more humid, and the vast majority of the thunderstorms occur in the interior.

South central Alaska is kind of half way between southeast and interior Alaska. It does not rain as much as southeast Alaska, and it is not as hot or cold as interior Alaska. If you are familiar with winters around Omaha, Nebraska, that is what most winters are like around Anchorage and south central Alaska.

So if you are like me and prefer to be cold and dry, rather than wet and warm, south central or the interior would be a better choice than the Alaskan panhandle. But if you really like rain, and don't mind if there are only one or two sunny days per month, then southeast Alaska may be just what you are looking for.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:24 AM

what is palvi?

Old 07-18-2009, 09:16 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,570,857 times
Palvi is toast...

Old 07-18-2009, 03:50 PM

32 posts, read 61,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
For me, the wild feel has four options.

#1. You live in the city and drive 30 minutes to the wild (Anchorage)
#2. You live outside the city and walk to the wild (Palmer, Wasilla)
#3. You live in the wild (North: Talkeetna, Trapper Creek South: Soldotna, Seward, Homer)
#4. You live in the bush (Enough said)
Crossfire... Fairbanks didn't even make it into the top 4?! And we're definitely not "the bush" -- don't count us out yet! Originally from Michigan, driven corner to corner and coast to coast, spent 3yrs in Europe w/ the USAF... I first visited Fairbanks as a junior in HS in '85... left because there was 'nothing to do', but spent 14yrs trying to get back here! I even did my time in Anchorage to give the other side of AK equal consideration... but I still ended up here in the Banks. Fairbanks / North Pole - we're worth a look at least on a scouting trip!

Old 07-18-2009, 06:20 PM

32 posts, read 61,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
...snipped...
Interior Alaska is where you will find all the extreme temperature ranges. It can be 100F in the summer and -60F in the winter. Summers in the interior also tend to be more humid, and the vast majority of the thunderstorms occur in the interior.
...snipped...
So if you are like me and prefer to be cold and dry, rather than wet and warm, south central or the interior would be a better choice than the Alaskan panhandle. ..snipped...
Ask me now (July) and I can brag all day and night about the Interior!! The weather this summer has been outstanding - the last 3-4 weeks has been high 70s to high 80s minus a day or two and the humidity rarely gets about 60% and that seems to be the high end!!! Smoke from a million acres on fire that the Lower48ers will never hear about, can lock you inside for an indeterminate amount of time - but that's not an annual thing.

Ask me in Jan when it's -60 like this last Jan, and I may not have anything nice to say about it at all... the damned cold usually doesn't last more than a week or so.. but this last winter it felt like it would never leave... it was a tuff one this pas winter. Seeing the moose in your yard, or the Auroras dancing above, or hearing the great hornd owl hooting in a nearby tree all seem to make it worth it somehow.

But something keeps me here! I'm not stuck. I'm on my own - nobody brough me here; nobody makes me stay here - I could leave if I wanted... but something about this place just got under my skin... and here I stay! I will admit I long to leave a couple weeks a yr to someplace warmer... and sometimes do but I alwas come back. First at mother's house, then in a dry cabin for 6yrs, and now in my humble little home... born a Michigander, I'll die an Alaskan.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:17 PM

anyone ever hear of "moving solutions", moving company? Trying to get quotes for our move, this company popped up on my search, sounds good but that usually makes me suspicious. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska