U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 04:15 PM

33 posts, read 55,040 times

Advertisements

My family and I are seriously thinking of moving to Alaska. To start off we are not searching for anything except a safer place to raise our children. We have 3 boys 18, 9 and 4. We are all Texans born and raised. However our lovely state is starting to loose its appeal for many reasons. So after atleast 2 years of debating we finally decided that Alaska would be the best place to finish raising our family and spend our remaining years together . I have done sooo much research and everything comes back the same, what I mean is everything looks so good its hard to make a decision. I'm looking for a place thats near a hospital ( i am a S.T and my wife is a Sonographer) for work ,but I still want that "wild" feel about home. Lots of trees and wildlife. And probobly most important a healthy and strong community and schools for my sons. I still think it is important for them to get as much interaction with children thier age as possible. I know I'm asking for alot, but I owe it too my family too find exactly what we need. Does anyone have any sugestions on where we should start?We are planning a vacation trip next Spring and would like it to be a vacation/scouting trip. Any help would be so greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 04:28 PM

5,352 posts, read 15,855,060 times
I suggest you look at Juneau. There is a regional hospital here. Schools are so-so, but if you work at it, you can get a good education for your children. As for trees and wildlife, although I haven't seen a bear in the backyard this year, there have been a couple that wander through in years past. Bears have been seen at the glacier on a regular basis though. Anchorage and Fairbanks are other cities with major hospitals to consider.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:41 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,556,906 times
And I'll recommend the Kenai Peninsula.

City of Soldotna Online

Kenai Alaska City Government Home Page

Homer Chamber of Commerce

Seward.Com - Alaska Starts Here!

Kenai Peninsula Borough

Old 07-10-2009, 05:03 PM

145 posts, read 487,565 times
I'll chime in with the Valley. Palmer has Providence...so you could even live in Sutton, Chickaloon, Willow, or anywhere close enough to work...and live where you'd have that 'wild' feeling.

Sutton...my absolute dream location. Sigh...were that I were 10 years younger...sigh...

Myself, I live about 20 min from Wasilla and consider this move to be one of the very best decisions I have ever made. Walk outside every morning and see NOTHING except nature...and am actively happy all over again.

Good luck...and savor the endless possibilities

Deb

Old 07-10-2009, 07:11 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,872,902 times
I just sold a house to a couple from Texas. they have a 10 year old daughter. They were only planning to stay in it for the summers but are now so excited they are planning to quit there job in Texas and move here full time.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:16 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,285,298 times
Plenty of Texans up here in the oil business so you should feel quite at home! You didn't say where in Texas you're from, or what size city you would be comfortable in. You can honestly find all the things you mention you are looking for even in Anchorage.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:36 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,495,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Deb View Post
I'll chime in with the Valley. Palmer has Providence...so you could even live in Sutton, Chickaloon, Willow, or anywhere close enough to work...and live where you'd have that 'wild' feeling.

Sutton...my absolute dream location. Sigh...were that I were 10 years younger...sigh...

Myself, I live about 20 min from Wasilla and consider this move to be one of the very best decisions I have ever made. Walk outside every morning and see NOTHING except nature...and am actively happy all over again.

Good luck...and savor the endless possibilities

Deb
Deb, if that's your dream (Sutton), why would it have to be "if you were 10 years younger?" Sorry, not being nosey but just curious why it's holding you back from something you really want.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:37 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,495,654 times
I have an acquaintance who lived in Houston and just recently moved to Juneau to work at the hospital there. So far she loves it.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:28 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,089,174 times
Kodiak is the best, everyone else has just never been here.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:39 PM

33 posts, read 55,040 times
I'm from Austin, Tx, and me and my family are all excited about the idea of living without 106 degree heat! Ireally like the old fashion style about Alaska, its almost is as if time forgot yall. Its those kind of values I want to surround my family with. Our first trip will be spring 2010, destination yet to be determined. Maybe moving as soon as summer 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska