U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:55 PM

3,539 posts, read 6,423,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Barrow has less of a temperature range due to the wind and proximity to the ocean right? Winds are usually from the west or east as I understand it?
Barrow has ocean on three sides, so weather is indeed greatly moderated by that proximity.
Quote:
Winds are usually from the west or east as I understand it?
Historically prevailing winds have been easterly. This winter was interesting though...

We have a lot of "snow fences" built around Barrow (and at other North Slope villages too), to reduce the amount of snow that drifts into town or across specific roads or runways. Because the prevailing winds are from the east these snow fences all run basically north to south, and by spring time there will be a huge snow drift built up on the west side of each fence. As spring weather melts the snow, those deep drifts to the west of each fence are the last places where snow exists.

Except this year the winds were just about equal for east and west, and the snow drifts on each side of the fences showed the effects, by also being just about equal. (I don't know how common that is, but it was the first time I'd ever noticed it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 10:02 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,299,028 times
Quote:
I doubt El Nino will be ready this year. It's too late for it to form with any staying power. Maybe 2010-2011 will have one but I think it's unlikely we have an El Nino or even a La Nina this year. None of the pro's know either so we'll just have to wait and see. My guess is neutral ENSO conditions.

Interesting little paper from 2006 I think:
http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/papers/El_Nino_Anchorage.doc
Cool, thanks for that paper, I was actually looking for something just like that the other day when they were talking about the possibility of an ENSO on the local news. Best I could find was this:

National Weather Service, Anchorage Forecast Office The Weather Classroom -- El Nino, La Nina and Alaska

Quote:
Yep, I found a place.
Nice! First thing when you get moved in is to set up your weather station (well, maybe not THE first thing ). Just be carefull, my neighbor fell off his roof late last year trying to put his up and shattered his ankle. He was in a cast for almost six months.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:38 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,605,707 times
Quote:
- move map view to wherever you want
- zoom in
- click on the yellow or pink dots which indicate where the station is/was located. Clicking on a dot is supposed to select that station.

- then look to the right at period of record requested and select the range
- and then check whatever boxes you want under climate data fields. I usually just check min/max temp, precip, snow fall, and snow depth.
- then you should be ready to click submit and download the CSV file which opens in Excel.
Clicking on the pink dots I could only go from April 09 to April 09. I tried some of the yellow (inactive stations) and could go back further...but not up to current. I'm looking for an archive of temps from as far back as possible to current date.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:31 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,634,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Clicking on the pink dots I could only go from April 09 to April 09. I tried some of the yellow (inactive stations) and could go back further...but not up to current. I'm looking for an archive of temps from as far back as possible to current date.
Sounds like you are preparing for next years Nenana Ice Classic lottery.

While it may be of limited use, they have the time and date of every break-up of the Nenana River since the Ice Classic lottery began in 1917.

http://www.nenanaakiceclassic.com/2009%20Brochure.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-11-2009, 11:49 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,605,707 times
Actually the wife wants to look at the temp data over the years for some reason. She has this thing for Alaska that just won't stop!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:25 PM

6,307 posts, read 4,187,472 times
What I have found interesting is the extreme difference in temperature gradients within relatively short distances. For instance, we live outside of Wasilla by Baldy Mountain. One morning the wife came through the hay flats and the temperature was -39. Here at the house it was -21. That is a huge swing in temperature for such a short distance with a relatively short difference in altitude. I have seen some huge temperature swings while riding snowmachine. Last winter will riding in Caribou Hills on the Kenai it was -23. When we left the house in Soldotna is was +1.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:28 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,096,684 times
Bethel got pretty cold the winter/spring I was there of 05/06. I think our coldest was -35 sustained, then with wind chill it was about -65, maybe -70. I remember it being so cold that I went outside for a cigarette (in shelter from the wind) and the cigarette went out half way while I was smoking it. I was also having problems breathing because the air was so dry and cold, which made smoking that much dumber.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:04 PM

6,992 posts, read 10,400,176 times
Quote:
Actually the wife wants to look at the temp data over the years for some reason. She has this thing for Alaska that just won't stop!
aahhh me think it has to do with hubby living in AK hence she is going to be living here too!!! Good for Sweden she wants to know what she's getting into.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:20 PM

3,539 posts, read 6,423,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
What I have found interesting is the extreme difference in temperature gradients within relatively short distances. For instance, we live outside of Wasilla by Baldy Mountain. One morning the wife came through the hay flats and the temperature was -39. Here at the house it was -21. That is a huge swing in temperature for such a short distance with a relatively short difference in altitude. I have seen some huge temperature swings while riding snowmachine. Last winter will riding in Caribou Hills on the Kenai it was -23. When we left the house in Soldotna is was +1.
The area around Fairbanks is a place where that can really be seen. It gets -65F down in the low areas, but on the 2-3000 foot hilltops they never see -30F. So people who live up on Ester Dome or Murphy Dome or Pedro Dome, on cold days, can look down at the ice fog in the valley... and a short drive that drops 2000 feet in elevation might have a 30 or 40 degree temperture gradient.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:25 PM

3,293 posts, read 4,266,930 times
Quote:
I attached a data file from Kenai from 1899-2009.

9999 means the data is missing. Check out January 1947. I think that is the coldest January on record in Kenai.
Attached Files
File Type: zip USUClimateData KENAI 1899-2009.zip (191.7 KB, 29 views)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or