U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 07:10 PM

6,932 posts, read 11,725,391 times

Advertisements

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/documents/fares/summer_09/S09_SETariffs.pdf (broken link)

The passanger fare on the ferry from Bellingham to Ketchikan is only $239.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 07:25 PM

10 posts, read 16,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
neither you are a free spirit. yes i know its interesting --- the problem with being on the run is its habit forming & ages you fast.
moving plants don't root and therefore get no real nourishment.
plant yourself and be still do some growing.
Soo tell me in all your wisdom and growing experience in life. what is it i am running from and if i am even running at all.

Also i did some research and it is not illegal to hitchhike in canada except on the 400 series and the same logic applies in canada as it does in the states basicly be safe and for the most part use the on ramp.

Btw i did not get an answer to the question i asked which is what kind of culture change if any will i be looking at?

Old 07-12-2009, 07:31 PM

11,457 posts, read 12,370,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Check with the fish processors in Ketchikan. The two large ones maybe be hiring and they both have bunkhouses.

Alaska General Seafoods

E. C. Phillips and Son Inc. - Producers of quality seafood products
Those sound like some tough jobs, lol.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Those sound like some tough jobs, lol.
There not really tough but you do have to put in a lot of long hours. Probably start on the slime line and then move to something else.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon2626 View Post
Btw i did not get an answer to the question i asked which is what kind of culture change if any will i be looking at?
If your going to one of the bigger places like Anchorage, Ketchikan, Fairbanks, Juneau, etc. there isn't really any culture change. Just a bit smaller in places.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:14 PM

16,458 posts, read 21,513,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
No, as of June 1st the Passport was required.
From some stuff I've read and heard second hand here...people can get back into the U.S. without a passport, but it'll take a long delay, lots of grilling from the security nazis to "verify" you are a citizen (funny how until June 1 a birth cert. and ID card was enough to do that, I hate this crap)...I'd sooner go through that hassle than have the tracking/beast chip passport though. Better option is the ferry as Met suggested...

Old 07-12-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
There not really tough but you do have to put in a lot of long hours. Probably start on the slime line and then move to something else.
The long hours would make them tough for a lot of people. Not the right job for a lazy couch potato type obviously...

Old 07-12-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon2626 View Post
Hello all just wondering a couple of things.

1.The name is brandon.
2 I currently live in grand forks nd currently homeless.
3 I have about 6 hundred dollars to my name.
4 I have have traveled all over the southern usa via hitchhiking.
5 I heard the fishing boats up there pay nice money.

With that all said and done would i be insane or crazy to move to alaska? and as to the fishing boats do they really pay good cash or is that just all talk? also how are the women in alaska?

Thanks in advance to all people that respond as i am looking for a new start on life.
What are you looking for in such a move?

A greenhorn won't be making big money on a fishing boat...

Old 07-13-2009, 02:24 AM

218 posts, read 441,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
He wouldn't have to get down to the "fishing cities" if he took the ferry. Not everyone flies to Anchorage to get here. If he has a job lined up that provides housing before he arrives, what he is wanting to do is entirely possible.

There are fishing season jobs available; there always are. Maybe not as seen on television but anyone who wants to work usually can.

The silvers haven't even come in yet; it really isn't a bad time to be looking.

How long have you lived here, Quake? Are you living in Wasilla now?
Sorry, guess it wasn't clear in my post that the ONLY way to even try to make it here with $600 was to get to Washington and take the ferry up. If you fly you're probably going to run out of money somewhere over Canada and I'd hate to see some guy get tossed out of the plane without a parachute for only buying 9/10th's of a ticket.

Yeah I'm here now in Wasilla. There are jobs available but like there are in any industry but there's always a good time to get a job and a bad time. Good time is at the beginning of the season when there are likely many openings needing filled, now there are less most likely due to a couple guys not being able to hack it etc. Hopefully the silver run will be better than the kings eh?

From the sounds of it though he didn't have anything lined up and was thinking he could make it here on $600. Possible yes, odds of it actually working out without considerable hardship 1:1000. If it were me I would tough it out another 6-8 months while in ND and make the trip next April. Just giving my opinion and this fellow can sift through all that have been given and choose what fits best for him.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:28 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,601,554 times
Insanely brave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska