U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:36 PM

20,423 posts, read 26,550,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Yeah I'm here now in Wasilla. There are jobs available but like there are in any industry but there's always a good time to get a job and a bad time. Good time is at the beginning of the season when there are likely many openings needing filled, now there are less most likely due to a couple guys not being able to hack it etc. Hopefully the silver run will be better than the kings eh
Depends on the facility and the location in Alaska. This is the beginning of the season for most of the processors here on the island; I'd say anyone who wants to work can probably get a job at either one of them right now.

Kinda pissed off right now because a couple of seasonal fish workers jumped my assistant for no reason at all; they're from Russia. They'll be going back a little sooner than they planned on if anything like that happens again.

Kings were all right and the silvers are coming in pretty good now.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-13-2009 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 12:08 AM

218 posts, read 441,402 times
Good info, thanks Met. Hopefully this guy can land a job before making the trek up there.

Good to hear the kings down there were good, up here it was pitiful and I'm glad I didn't get here any sooner cause I would have bought a king stamp. Thankfully I got wind that the run up here was bunk this year and just got the non-res fishing license and didn't waste the hundred bucks on the king stamp Here's hoping for a great silver run up here.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:05 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,944,970 times
Coming to Alaska on a shoestring budget, to say the least, a rough road to travel. There have been some that got off the ship with less than a dollar in their pocket, and made millions... then some that died in a bus, a cold cabin or on the streets.

Then there are those in the middle of the road that get by just fine.

Had you said you were 18 and broke, then that is expected of someone who is starting out, but at 29 you should have some kind of a marketable skill, or maybe go back to school, there are all sorts of programs for helping you.

Travel by hitching rides is a romantic way to travel for some, but not a stable way to travel.

I wish you luck in your quest, but there is a lot of people on the same road ahead of you.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:11 AM

947 posts, read 3,174,391 times
I'd tell Brandon to wait and save up some more money and THEN DO IT.

Is he insane? No... Brave? Yes, but brave is a good thing, I think you learn things about yourself and life by being brave and taking chances!

I'm 25 byears old and have moved halfway across the country for jobs before and have a little expierience. Trust me when I say, things, events, expenses will come up that you don't expect or didn't plan for.. or things cost more then you figured.

When I move, someones driven me or I've taken some mode of public transportation.

If you REALLY want to come up to Alaska, I'd tell you to sell off EVERYTHING you absolutely dont need, pack a duffel bag with 1 to 2 weeks worth of clothing, bathroom/toiletry items, a laptop and a few othert hings.

Save up like $2500, enough to stay in some fleabag motel for a month while you look for work and save up some money or to put down first/last month on an apartment and pay deposit on utilities.

People thing they can cut out alot or deal without alot for a few days or weeks while they save up or get settled in, trust me... you can't, you'd go crazy without certain amenities, even if they are very basic.

Plan, save and pack a bit better.. then I'd say move. If you wanna do it, go for it.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:17 AM

32 posts, read 64,746 times
I say insaine but then Ive had a job since 15, been stable, and my nickname is the planner.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:09 AM

6,907 posts, read 11,694,838 times
Since the OP hasn't posted back I'd assume he's on his way.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:26 PM

6,992 posts, read 10,383,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Since the OP hasn't posted back I'd assume he's on his way.
hope he finds a way to communicate back with us and let us know how things work out....will be a very interesting read to follow!!

Old 07-17-2009, 05:18 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,700,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon2626 View Post
Hello all just wondering a couple of things.

1.The name is brandon.
2 I currently live in grand forks nd currently homeless.
3 I have about 6 hundred dollars to my name.
4 I have have traveled all over the southern usa via hitchhiking.
5 I heard the fishing boats up there pay nice money.

would i be insane or crazy to move to alaska?
No offence, but..... I suspect there may be more than just those two answers to the question. Actually those two are similar enought to be considered as the same thing, there are others that come more readily to mind.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:04 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,495,654 times
Or could have been a troll possibly?

Old 07-17-2009, 06:28 PM

19,016 posts, read 8,697,385 times
Internet disconnected?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska