Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 03:16 PM

10 posts, read 19,452 times

Advertisements

Hello all just wondering a couple of things.

1.The name is brandon.
2 I currently live in grand forks nd currently homeless.
3 I have about 6 hundred dollars to my name.
4 I have have traveled all over the southern usa via hitchhiking.
5 I heard the fishing boats up there pay nice money.

With that all said and done would i be insane or crazy to move to alaska? and as to the fishing boats do they really pay good cash or is that just all talk? also how are the women in alaska?

Thanks in advance to all people that respond as i am looking for a new start on life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 03:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
You are currently homeless...forget fishing for the year; it's tough to get on and I know that around here there are more than a couple of guys hanging around wanting to get on boats.

If you want to come to Alaska, you need to get a job that provides housing. I can think of a couple of places and because I have a son younger than you and it would break my heart if he were homeless, I will do what I can to help you.

Forget girls; you will be coming up to work.

Later on I will send you a couple of linkies so watch your DMs.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:45 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,809,216 times
You wouldn't be the first to brave the elements of Alaska with little or no money stepping off a plane. Some have made it...some have not. Don't expect to step off and into a high paying job. Fishing, oilfield, timber, construction...many of the good jobs are either taken or at a standstill right now.

Good luck to ya...

Old 07-11-2009, 03:57 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,681,771 times
Check with the fish processors in Ketchikan. The two large ones maybe be hiring and they both have bunkhouses.

Alaska General Seafoods

E. C. Phillips and Son Inc. - Producers of quality seafood products

Old 07-11-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You are currently homeless...forget fishing for the year; it's tough to get on and I know that around here there are more than a couple of guys hanging around wanting to get on boats.

If you want to come to Alaska, you need to get a job that provides housing. I can think of a couple of places and because I have a son younger than you and it would break my heart if he were homeless, I will do what I can to help you.

Forget girls; you will be coming up to work.

Later on I will send you a couple of linkies so watch your DMs.
Not sure what dms is but thanks. like i stated before i am looking to start a new life kinda tired of the southern states. how is the general labor field in alaska? and about how much would it cost me to get up to alaska?

Old 07-11-2009, 06:02 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,937,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon2626 View Post
Not sure what dms is but thanks. like i stated before i am looking to start a new life kinda tired of the southern states. how is the general labor field in alaska? and about how much would it cost me to get up to alaska?
DM = Direct Message

I paid $550 for round trip airfare to ANC from NC. But I bought my tickets 3 months out too.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:17 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,428,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon2626 View Post
Hello all just wondering a couple of things.

1.The name is brandon.
2 I currently live in grand forks nd currently homeless.
3 I have about 6 hundred dollars to my name.
4 I have have traveled all over the southern usa via hitchhiking.
5 I heard the fishing boats up there pay nice money.

With that all said and done would i be insane or crazy to move to alaska? and as to the fishing boats do they really pay good cash or is that just all talk? also how are the women in alaska?

Thanks in advance to all people that respond as i am looking for a new start on life.
How old are you, I'm going to assume over 21? Also, do you have any kind of experience or trade?

Old 07-11-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
How old are you, I'm going to assume over 21? Also, do you have any kind of experience or trade?
29 years old not many skills other then general labor and some construction.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:09 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,809,216 times
If your looking for construction...probably the best bet would be Anchorage. Otherwise the links posted earlier might be usefull. Slope work is nil right now.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:37 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,428,189 times
You say you have $600. Hmmm, not gonna be cheap to get up here unless you hitch-hike which I really dont advise. However, be aware if you enter through Canada riding with someone you now MUST have your Passport to get into Canada and also for leaving Canada coming into Alaska. I honestly am not sure how to advise you on this. Is there any work at all where you are at to get you by until you somehow have more money saved up. What do the rest of you think?? Where are you staying now in SD (shelter?), and obviously you were able to earn some money if you have $600 ? I take it you are using a computer at a library or internet cafe?

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 07-11-2009 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska