U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 01:47 AM

21,358 posts, read 32,315,988 times

Advertisements

Ahhh, the return of the Lone Traveler!

Don't forget your can of crops!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 02:09 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,558,798 times
Uhhgg I don't live in AK but come on man.... Mountain Man your not.Mountain Men are a group of people who have a code of life. Your talking about bumming - living off the land without giving, leaving after you used it up! And in the spring come on!!! and the question of being a mountain man is probable how often you shower. Which again I take as an insult you would put your self into the same group of people I assocaite with..

Mountain Men and woman live with the land - can, freeze, hunt, prepare for the winter not live day to day for the take. Kinda pisses me off you assume you are great enough to take from the land what you want. Like it is your right...

There is a reason for reg's and such. So people like you don't take and take and take. Normal hunters fisherman that have a true respect from the land understand the rythem of life continues only if you allow it to continue. You can take after it is already given to move on. You are talking about a life style of only take not give back. Whenever you want!

AFter being in Hawaii and seeing the amazing differnce from people taking all the time - wheither it is a shell to a bird to fish - it is amazing if you put in a small area of land how much of an impact we all make. And how quickly things change.

Now don't get me wrong -- I hunt I fish I fill my freezer I share with others when freezer full but just to take and bumm around stating it is your right. I love to get a great rack or huge fish! But there is a reason for regs.... not for someone to pull off down the road from me and kill a 8 point double eye gaurd rack for the pleasure that they have in May!!!

Your freedom your looking for is full above the grasp of you getting it or understanding it - just because you have no job freedom to camp until someone asks you to leave their property doesn't give you the right to disrespect people or land.

Hope that came out right off the soap box now.....but that attitude really makes me mad.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:36 AM

5,963 posts, read 10,498,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
i mean i may get found but other than tresspassing what crime will i be commiting? taking in scenery? sleeping under a governors spruce tree? LOL come on a guy just looking for peace and that is tired of bearucracy and ppl i want only want i need, i have no plans to destroy the natural i respect it and treasure it. I have done some living in the san juans and lived close to nature for a month in may2008 and i came across 2 or 3 people none of which tried to bust me for being a mtn man.
Is this going to be another "bus" story?

Old 07-25-2009, 07:37 AM

20,428 posts, read 26,560,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Is this going to be another "bus" story?
Probably so.

I don't believe this is LT; just an LT imitator.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:39 AM

5,963 posts, read 10,498,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Probably so.

Danged trolls....

Old 07-25-2009, 08:28 AM

16,455 posts, read 21,480,134 times
Quote:
i mean i may get found but other than tresspassing what crime will i be commiting? taking in scenery? sleeping under a governors spruce tree? LOL come on a guy just looking for peace and that is tired of bearucracy and ppl i want only want i need, i have no plans to destroy the natural i respect it and treasure it. I have done some living in the san juans and lived close to nature for a month in may2008 and i came across 2 or 3 people none of which tried to bust me for being a mtn man.
A real mountain man is a trapper, a person who lives off the land, etc. I've been jokingly called a mountain man by friends because I've done precisely that in the mountains here in Vermont...but guess what? I followed (and still follow) all the laws and seasons for hunting and trapping...they exist for a reason, to protect the wildlife and give everyone a fair chance at it. Up in Alaska, where a lot more people rely on the fish and game to survive, when you poach, you're literally stealing from them and potentially putting their wellbeing at risk. What you're describing is not being a mountain man at all, but a poacher and a trespasser.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:30 AM

16,455 posts, read 21,480,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Probably so.

You give him too much credit. He's just a fool.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:39 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,602,107 times
Quote:
its simple 1 guy me, in a land area size wise that goes from montana to florida only in a much more rugged harsh enviorment, if its that easy to get caught, i mean if the odds are that high i think i may play the lottery in alaska and see if i can come up with the powerball!!!
The lucky ones are caught by law enforcement. Alaska is indeed vast and rugged, and people who really **** off the locals have a way of disappearing, never to be seen from again.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:49 AM

33 posts, read 55,047 times
wow,.... how did we get here?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:04 AM

3,539 posts, read 6,414,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The lucky ones are caught by law enforcement. Alaska is indeed vast and rugged, and people who really **** off the locals have a way of disappearing, never to be seen from again.
Nice imagination you have...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or