U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2009, 11:43 AM
 
Location: cincinnati northern, ky
835 posts, read 2,568,099 times
Reputation: 175

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Uhhgg I don't live in AK but come on man.... Mountain Man your not.Mountain Men are a group of people who have a code of life. Your talking about bumming - living off the land without giving, leaving after you used it up! And in the spring come on!!! and the question of being a mountain man is probable how often you shower. Which again I take as an insult you would put your self into the same group of people I assocaite with..

Mountain Men and woman live with the land - can, freeze, hunt, prepare for the winter not live day to day for the take. Kinda pisses me off you assume you are great enough to take from the land what you want. Like it is your right...

There is a reason for reg's and such. So people like you don't take and take and take. Normal hunters fisherman that have a true respect from the land understand the rythem of life continues only if you allow it to continue. You can take after it is already given to move on. You are talking about a life style of only take not give back. Whenever you want!

AFter being in Hawaii and seeing the amazing differnce from people taking all the time - wheither it is a shell to a bird to fish - it is amazing if you put in a small area of land how much of an impact we all make. And how quickly things change.

Now don't get me wrong -- I hunt I fish I fill my freezer I share with others when freezer full but just to take and bumm around stating it is your right. I love to get a great rack or huge fish! But there is a reason for regs.... not for someone to pull off down the road from me and kill a 8 point double eye gaurd rack for the pleasure that they have in May!!!

Your freedom your looking for is full above the grasp of you getting it or understanding it - just because you have no job freedom to camp until someone asks you to leave their property doesn't give you the right to disrespect people or land.

Hope that came out right off the soap box now.....but that attitude really makes me mad.
i am not going to bum, i dont plan on being a killing machine here one animal if perserved correctly could last one person a very long time. i am not going to be spray painting ever spruce tree with my initials lol, i will literally leave just foot prints. disclaimer i am not a worshipper on creation but they guy who made it i do worship. still what i want to do is not destructive in ANY way, imagine in as an extended camping trip i do not have any desire to harm the land in any way i love colorado and utah and respected them i am not your average 19 year old i wont be bringing women booze and weed and a damn ipod or cell phone the concrete jungle can keep it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2009, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,963 posts, read 10,498,005 times
Reputation: 3135
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
i am not going to bum, i dont plan on being a killing machine here one animal if perserved correctly could last one person a very long time. i am not going to be spray painting ever spruce tree with my initials lol, i will literally leave just foot prints. disclaimer i am not a worshipper on creation but they guy who made it i do worship. still what i want to do is not destructive in ANY way, imagine in as an extended camping trip i do not have any desire to harm the land in any way i love colorado and utah and respected them i am not your average 19 year old i wont be bringing women booze and weed and a damn ipod or cell phone the concrete jungle can keep it.
Are you trying to imitate the guy on the "bus" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Barrow, Alaska
3,539 posts, read 6,414,586 times
Reputation: 1828
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
i am not going to bum, i dont plan on being a killing machine here one animal if perserved correctly could last one person a very long time. i am not going to be spray painting ever spruce tree with my initials lol, i will literally leave just foot prints. disclaimer i am not a worshipper on creation but they guy who made it i do worship. still what i want to do is not destructive in ANY way, imagine in as an extended camping trip i do not have any desire to harm the land in any way i love colorado and utah and respected them i am not your average 19 year old i wont be bringing women booze and weed and a damn ipod or cell phone the concrete jungle can keep it.
Unless you know where there is a bus at 10,000 feet elevation, with that spruce tree you want to sit under next to it, you'd be better off staying in Colorado or Utah. Glitch may be imagining the "locals" causing you to disappear, but in fact the local weather is very likely to accomplish exactly that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 02:52 PM
 
20,428 posts, read 26,560,006 times
Reputation: 13133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Unless you know where there is a bus at 10,000 feet elevation, with that spruce tree you want to sit under next to it, you'd be better off staying in Colorado or Utah. Glitch may be imagining the "locals" causing you to disappear, but in fact the local weather is very likely to accomplish exactly that.
Years ago, we did buy someone a ferry ticket and escort him to the ferry. Can't recall what type of mischief he was up to. But where I live, murder doesn't often happen just because someone is pissed off; sounds more like a sociopath's fantasy of what Alaska's like than any sort of reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Texas
33 posts, read 55,047 times
Reputation: 15
I just can't wait to learn how to hunt Alaska! I've hunted my entire life, and can't wait to hunt the real wilderness of Alaska. This move is going on 6 yrs in the making and now my family is near the end of preperation. So you can imagine how excited I am!But I think for the first couple of years I 'm going to concentrate on making good family friends, and from those friends try to extract as much knowledge about Alaska as I can. Sometimes I get a little over zellous and try to do everything RIGHT NOW! I believe I'm going to slow down and actually try and learn the tricks of hunting and fishing in Alaska. Make as many friends as possible, I mean to me thats what the outdoors is all about sharing with friends and family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 08:14 PM
 
20,428 posts, read 26,560,006 times
Reputation: 13133
I wish you and you're family well and think you'll do just fine. I also think that you owe me an apology for going off on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Texas
33 posts, read 55,047 times
Reputation: 15
I don't think I went off on you however, if it was precieved that way from your point of view, I do sincerely apologize. I do sometimes have tendancies to be rather short fused and on the defensive, I blame it on my former profession, that does not however excuse rude behavior. Having said that I do certainly hope you accept my apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 08:35 PM
 
3,774 posts, read 9,899,341 times
Reputation: 1834
Tex, that was as gracious an apology as I've seen. You are a gentleman, sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 08:35 PM
 
20,428 posts, read 26,560,006 times
Reputation: 13133
Quote:
Originally Posted by texheat00 View Post
What you mean by that? I know by the comments on here from alot of people, native Alaskans have this machismo about them.Be careful on who you decided to confront.Just because they are not from Alaska does not mean that they will lay down and take you're crap! If I were from Alaska and knew of GOOD people that were new, I would do my best to educate them on the laws and different ways there are to do things. Not stay in my "social click" and point at the new guy, and then get angry when he does something wrong. I've encountered on this forum some very very nice people, and I've run into a couple who seem to think that they own Alaska, and don't want to be bothered by us who live in the lower 48. I don't understand it, but I guess thats just the way it is!
If this isn't going off on someone I don't know what is.


I wanted to make sure that you understood that it wasn't you who I was referring to with the statement you objected to but rather the troll "onthemove"; I'm positive that after you've lived and hunted here a few years you'll feel the same way towards that type of idjit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Texas
33 posts, read 55,047 times
Reputation: 15
[quote=Metlakatla;9951103]If this isn't going off on someone I don't know what is.

Like I said that was not my intent. I did not mean to attack anyone, if my words were alittle strong,I apologize. I hope were good.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top