Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:23 PM

33 posts, read 65,208 times

Advertisements

I know I'm becoming a pain in the *** with all my questions, i just can't seem to find a website that shoots me straight! The question I have about the hunting is: Do you have to lease land to hunt on, like here in Texas or is it a permit draw to see where u can hunt? I don't really understand where u can hunt. I know it goes by season like anywhere elsi in the U.S. I just don't understand the the location part? Where can u hunt, do u just pulloff the side of the road and take off? I myself am going to hire a guide my first few years, I 'm just curious on hoe it works. I mean I have knuckle head friends here in Texas that seem to think you can just bag a moose off your back porch and be legal doing it( if you have liscense and tag) is this accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 03:34 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Pretty much. But the moose have a certain horn size/configurement to be legal.
We do have permit drawings. And you can't just trespass on folks property to hunt.

Hunting regs:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...gulations.main

Old 07-12-2009, 03:35 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,807,220 times
There are only 2 good hunting related website in Alaska that are worth spending any time at......both with forums

Its all there...

Outdoor Directory.com
Alaska Outdoors Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Pristine Ventures.....click on "chat room....its actually forums
Pristine Ventures - Alaska Travel Adventure - Premier Fishing, Hunting and River Rafting in Alaska

Old 07-12-2009, 08:00 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
The hunting regs are a bit complicated, especially if you get into subsistence regs, but, to answer your question, generally...no, it's not like TX. Some areas have permit drawings, etc., when there's too many hunters and not enough animals, but plenty of spots (like where my land is) don't have that requirement, just need your license/etc.. Lots of public lands available to hunt on in Alaska, no reason to have a hunting lease. That's more of a Texas thing anyways. AK is not like TX where it's all private and people make a fortune leasing hunting rights out...however you do need to know where you are, not everyplace is open to hunting. Watch out for National Parks, Native lands and any posted land. You must of never hunted outside of TX or similar states, up here in VT it's about like Alaska in that there's plenty of public land to hunt on, no hunting leases, though some people build hunting "camps" in rural spots to have a place to stay while hunting...up in Maine it's mostly private land but there's a long tradition there of allowing free access to hunters, slowly being affected by all the flatlanders from MA/CT moving there but anyways...TX isn't the norm for hunting.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 7,017 times
I was wondering when the general hunting season in AK starts, and how long one has to live there to become a resident. Oh yeah, I was also wondering what the laws are concerning hunting wolves.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:44 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbilly View Post
I was wondering when the general hunting season in AK starts, and how long one has to live there to become a resident. Oh yeah, I was also wondering what the laws are concerning hunting wolves.
Google Alaska Hunting Regulations and ..... what do you know, you get the Alaska Hunting Regulations.

Generally hunting season is in the fall but it's more complicated than that.

You can hunt something, somewhere at any time of the year.

I think you need to live in Alaska for one whole year to become an Alaska Resident as far as hunting licenses go.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:10 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
[quote=Marty Van Diest;9899540]Google Alaska Hunting Regulations and ..... what do you know, you get the Alaska Hunting Regulations.

You are right, but when you look at the national stuff...we are out with guns or knives..shooting, killing whatever we can...yee haw...take my weapons away....

Old 07-22-2009, 10:34 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
[quote=Grannysroost;9902849]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Google Alaska Hunting Regulations and ..... what do you know, you get the Alaska Hunting Regulations.

You are right, but when you look at the national stuff...we are out with guns or knives..shooting, killing whatever we can...yee haw...take my weapons away....
Huh?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:41 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
[quote=Marty Van Diest;9903140]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post

Huh?
I was quoting your "Read the Alaska Hunting Regulations"

Then there are the "-48" notions of Alaskans hunting down anything that moves...as in some previous threads

Old 07-23-2009, 04:56 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
We don't have to lease hunting lands, because so much of Alaska is owned by either the state, or the federal, gov. IE: there are a lot of places where you can literally pull of the road and start hunting, legally. I'd hook up with a local hunter your first year or two...then you'll find out where those places are...

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska