U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2009, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Bethel, Alaska
21,358 posts, read 32,333,300 times
Reputation: 13697

Advertisements

I've done the Alcan 15 times and I didn't run into any boring parts in BC. You must have high expectations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2009, 03:30 PM
 
Location: WA
2,259 posts, read 3,518,804 times
Reputation: 2792
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I've done the Alcan 15 times and I didn't run into any boring parts in BC. You must have high expectations!
I'm talking about the mountain scenery.

If you are going to put in 1500 miles on a RENTAL car for tourism purposes then a loop from Anchorage-Fairbanks-Dawson-Whitehorse-Skagway-Haines-Haines Jct-Tok-Anchorage is going to take you through a LOT more wild and spectacular scenery than the 800 miles or so stretch of BC that begins the Alaska Highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Bethel, Alaska
21,358 posts, read 32,333,300 times
Reputation: 13697
Yes, BC has no wild and scenic view anywhere!



















British Columbia is terrible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2009, 01:19 AM
 
3,774 posts, read 9,903,541 times
Reputation: 1834
Let me do your next drive Joe-Joe. I can't bear to see you suffer that drive any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2009, 02:06 AM
 
Location: Big Island- Hawaii, AK, WA where the whales are!
1,492 posts, read 3,561,319 times
Reputation: 780
Howdy from Prince George !! So far so good... to the orginal poster don't mean to hijack.. I saw on the road Cruise Canada RVS last yeat I did a Cruise America RV to bury my father back in SD you should be interchangable between them?

All good although I haven't escaped the heat!!!! Wow what the hell with this ... 105 today after Fraser Canyon and tons of people on the road! Big camping holiday guess here in BC??... was gonna make it to Vanderhoof but everything campgrounds RV motels etc I called were full so here in Prince George. And smoke!!!! Wow thought I was in Hawaii with the vog! Couldn't figure out why a deer was dead charge across a field to Hiway? and laughed at the black bear, ok I see black bear in woods not along Hiway - that was trying to cross the road - saw the cars got up on hind feet! Stomped all fours three times and did a 360 back into the woods!! Cassier tomarrow with Hyder AK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2009, 02:48 AM
 
1,121 posts, read 3,102,958 times
Reputation: 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcrume View Post
Does anyone know if you can rent a vehicle for a one way trip from Edmonton to Fairbanks? I would like to fly to Canada, rent a car, drive the Alaska Highway, drop the car off in Alaska and fly home. I am willing to pick up a rental at different city and drop it off at a different location as well.
Please look into the Washington/alaska ferry system. You can travel from Bellingham WA to Juneau on the inland passsage for about $325. There are connections to Fairbanks. This is the basic rate which includes camping or sleeping bag accommodations without a private room, but you can add that to your adgenda. You can take a car for an additional price, but you should probably wait to get to you destination to rent one if you need it. Train and bus tours through Denali are readily available. At the end of your tour just fly back to Seattle. The alaska highway is reputed to be in very poor shape and the drive is long and rough. It would be so much more enjoyable to spend a few days on the ferry and meet people who are traveling and who actually live there.
The ferry only runs throuth August I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2009, 02:58 AM
 
Location: Bethel, Alaska
21,358 posts, read 32,333,300 times
Reputation: 13697
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Please look into the Washington/alaska ferry system. You can travel from Bellingham WA to Juneau on the inland passsage for about $325. There are connections to Fairbanks. This is the basic rate which includes camping or sleeping bag accommodations without a private room, but you can add that to your adgenda. You can take a car for an additional price, but you should probably wait to get to you destination to rent one if you need it. Train and bus tours through Denali are readily available. At the end of your tour just fly back to Seattle. The alaska highway is reputed to be in very poor shape and the drive is long and rough. It would be so much more enjoyable to spend a few days on the ferry and meet people who are traveling and who actually live there.
The ferry only runs throuth August I believe.
Poor shape? I just drove it in May! Sure there is a lot of construction, but I didn't see anything in poor shape. This is the best highway in North America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2009, 04:03 AM
 
Location: Big Island- Hawaii, AK, WA where the whales are!
1,492 posts, read 3,561,319 times
Reputation: 780
Haven't got there yet but from my research sounds good - so far the worst construction has been Seattle - sat for an hour last night and one lane- so much for going at night to miss traffic ....

Let you know what I experience but so far with taking a truck on ferry I am looking for a equal or cheaper to drive -- Ferry was way more than I thought with a truck ... and it isn't a Ranger!!!

Pleae everyone don't hold it against me for taking the safer way so far on my first time - once I have an experience of it driving it I will be parking at rest stops or camping off road- maybe even tomarrow - they are differnt than I am used too!

Last edited by nwcountrygal; 08-01-2009 at 04:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2009, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,963 posts, read 10,503,392 times
Reputation: 3135
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Haven't got there yet but from my research sounds good - so far the worst construction has been Seattle - sat for an hour last night and one lane- so much for going at night to miss traffic ....

Let you know what I experience but so far with taking a truck on ferry I am looking for a equal or cheaper to drive -- Ferry was way more than I thought with a truck ... and it isn't a Ranger!!!

Pleae everyone don't hold it against me for taking the safer way so far on my first time - once I have an experience of it driving it I will be parking at rest stops or camping off road- maybe even tomarrow - they are differnt than I am used too!
Do what makes you comfortable. You mentioned the dog being in the back of the truck. Are you referring to him being in the bed of the truck? If so, not a good idea...flying gravel, dust, etc., danger of him jumping out, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2009, 01:35 PM
 
1,121 posts, read 3,102,958 times
Reputation: 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Poor shape? I just drove it in May! Sure there is a lot of construction, but I didn't see anything in poor shape. This is the best highway in North America!
Thanks for that info.! I live in WA and have for years heard horror stories of driving the Alaska HWY due to the changing weather causing damage to the road. I have always wanted to make this drive myself, now I think I will do it. I do have a 4x4 truck so I think if the road is decent, I should be able to make it. Are there enough places to stop for gas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top