Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:29 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,644,647 times

Advertisements

After many, many hours of dispair on the Internet, and much questioning of my own ability to understand English, I am now resorting to asking for help.

Does anyone know of environmental groups or wildlife groups (working in Alaska) and what they work for, how they work to accomplish that, and maybe if they have websites?

Also, if there are any major "environmental/wildlife problems" (such as aerial wolf hunting, polar bears being declared endangered, construction works on native land/important wildlife area, etc.) that people protest against (or in favour of).

Any help (and I mean any help) would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:46 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,015,774 times
I support these guys. They seem to be more genuinely concerned with conservation, rather than pushing a particular political agenda:

Welcome to The Alaska Moose Federation (http://www.growmoremoose.org/home.asp - broken link)

Old 07-13-2009, 10:49 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,809,216 times
http://www.ci.kenai.ak.us/river_erosion.pdf

We've driven by this numerous times...but never stopped in!
Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (http://awcc.org/home.html - broken link)

Refuges

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/ngplan/

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/SARR/...ion/restor.cfm

Old 07-13-2009, 11:59 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,537,386 times
There's the Alaska Sierra Club and the Southeast Alaska Conservation Council:

Welcome to Alaska :: Sierra Club Alaska

Welcome — Southeast Alaska Conservation Council

Their main goal is to stop development. Their main tools are utilizing the permitting process to slow/stop development. Next or concurrently, they push for a full environmental impact statement, which can take years to do. Lastly, they go through courts to stop/delay development. The idea is to make the project economically unviable, with time delay being a major part causing it.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:23 PM

18,353 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
There's the Alaska Sierra Club and the Southeast Alaska Conservation Council:

Welcome to Alaska :: Sierra Club Alaska

Welcome — Southeast Alaska Conservation Council

Their main goal is to stop development. Their main tools are utilizing the permitting process to slow/stop development. Next or concurrently, they push for a full environmental impact statement, which can take years to do. Lastly, they go through courts to stop/delay development. The idea is to make the project economically unviable, with time delay being a major part causing it.
I hate the sierra club more than I could describe. They try to ban everything from trapping to you name it. They're of the elitist drive all the rural people out to make a rich people's playground type...there's better groups out there if one actually cares about conservation.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:29 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,537,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I hate the sierra club more than I could describe. They try to ban everything from trapping to you name it. They're of the elitist drive all the rural people out to make a rich people's playground type...there's better groups out there if one actually cares about conservation.
When a Sierra Club member stops using toilet paper, that will be the day when I might not think they're hypocrites.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:51 PM

18,353 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
When a Sierra Club member stops using toilet paper, that will be the day when I might not think they're hypocrites.
One of them recently wrote a letter to the editor in the local rag because some trees were being taken down near some powerlines because of problems with lines always getting damaged by them. They called it a massacre, called for a total ban on killing trees, said it was causing global warming because they had a couple pieces of equipment there to do it...insane!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:45 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,559,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
After many, many hours of dispair on the Internet, and much questioning of my own ability to understand English, I am now resorting to asking for help.

Does anyone know of environmental groups or wildlife groups (working in Alaska) and what they work for, how they work to accomplish that, and maybe if they have websites?

Also, if there are any major "environmental/wildlife problems" (such as aerial wolf hunting, polar bears being declared endangered, construction works on native land/important wildlife area, etc.) that people protest against (or in favour of).

Any help (and I mean any help) would be greatly appreciated.
Ah Sweden, love to hear there are other environmentalists on here. Sorry, I can't help you w/Alaska, but good luck!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:11 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Ah Sweden, love to hear there are other environmentalists on here. Sorry, I can't help you w/Alaska, but good luck!
There are a lot of real hypocrites in Alaska, but they aren't these so called "environmentalists".

People who come to Alaska to enjoy the wilderness, the natural beauty, and everything else that actually is the "environment" here... and then want to allow everything and anything that will make them a buck even if it destroys the very environment that brought them here.

That is hypocrisy.

On the other hand, carefully trying to leave the same wonderful environment to our grandchildren so that their children can enjoy it too is the most appropriate perspective!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:16 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,428,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
There are a lot of real hypocrites in Alaska, but they aren't these so called "environmentalists".

People who come to Alaska to enjoy the wilderness, the natural beauty, and everything else that actually is the "environment" here... and then want to allow everything and anything that will make them a buck even if it destroys the very environment that brought them here.

That is hypocrisy.

On the other hand, carefully trying to leave the same wonderful environment to our grandchildren so that their children can enjoy it too is the most appropriate perspective!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....I did have to rep you on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska