U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 11:50 AM

164 posts, read 276,936 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, do any of you know what the laws are as far as towing a camper up there? I came across a very inexpensive camper for about the same amount I was going to spend on a uhal trailer to make my move and in the state of KS its size and weight is small enough that I do not have to tag/title it but I was wondering if I was going to have problems with that once out of KS? Would any of you know?

Thanks for the help, I just don't want to spend the money if is going to be more of a hassle than its worth, but I will save hundreds on hotels if I did it this way and could sell it once I get there...

B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 11:54 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,548,601 times
I think it will have to be licensed in Alaska. And have working taillights.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:41 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,941,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadrmin View Post
Hello everyone, do any of you know what the laws are as far as towing a camper up there? I came across a very inexpensive camper for about the same amount I was going to spend on a uhal trailer to make my move and in the state of KS its size and weight is small enough that I do not have to tag/title it but I was wondering if I was going to have problems with that once out of KS? Would any of you know?

Thanks for the help, I just don't want to spend the money if is going to be more of a hassle than its worth, but I will save hundreds on hotels if I did it this way and could sell it once I get there...

B
Some states don't have plates for trailers any more, but they do have titles or bills of sale. That is as good as plates on the highway.

No issues, as long as it has a valid State license plate (any state) In your name or documents showing you are allowed to use it, and lights for stopping, turning and running in the dark. Once you get it to Alaska and plan on staying, you have something like 30 days to get it registered here.

I have bought a couple of trailers and brought back up and sold to pay for my gas money on vacation.

Otherwise, no problems other than insurance on it for towing and most auto policies have some kind of add on for that.

Last edited by starlite9; 07-14-2009 at 12:51 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
No issues, as long as it has a valid State license plate (any state) In your name or documents showing you are allowed to use it, and lights for stopping, turning and running in the dark. Once you get it to Alaska and plan on staying, you have something like 30 days to get it registered here.
So my truck tag will be efficient enough to get me through the border as long as I have a bill of sale for the camper and insurance?

Thanks for the great advice too, there are so many laws about such a thing it is so confusing to me and the motor vehicle department is less than helpful around here..

Old 07-14-2009, 04:11 PM

5,841 posts, read 6,027,062 times
I could be wrong but I am guessing as far as license plates for your camper go, the laws of the state of Kansas would apply. If Kansas says you do not need plates then you should be good to go. Do get proof of insurance and something showing ownership. You will have to make sure all lights work. Would also go over it very closely as the Alcan likes to beat up things.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:12 AM

3 posts, read 6,272 times
Hey Baja?? When are you planning a trip up North???

Old 07-15-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneknight View Post
Hey Baja?? When are you planning a trip up North???
I plan on leaving the end of April 2010. Working 3 jobs right now to save the money. Otherwise I would be there now! Have a place to live now, the view is spectacular!!!! Just on the edge of Palmer....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska