U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 06:53 AM

639 posts, read 1,650,837 times

Advertisements

The temp inside the room was so hot you didn't like it and there was NO thermostat to turn it down? If that was me I would've been ticked off for sure.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 09:36 AM

21,358 posts, read 32,328,743 times
It was way hot, I even went and asked if they could turn it down. The lady at the front desk said she was new there and didn't know what to do. They didn't even have fans! Hasn't stayed there since, but it's a nice inexpensive place to stay, comfy beds.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:07 PM

5,352 posts, read 15,869,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
OK here I go finally.... Appreciate any help- like the sooo many of us that ask! Thanks

plan on leaving WA end of month first of August... ending in Seward...stay until firist of Sept...

Plan on camping- sleep in back of the truck/canopy - single gal with dog driving- safe enough eh? Don't know why I am worrying driving/camping alone when down here in 48 do it all the time. Some place new...

.... if I want to stay in a hotel for a break and warm shower- do I need to make reservations or is spur of moment decision a bad idea for getting a room. A basic room shower lock on door all I need. I have the Milepost, Lonely planet, and Alaska Camping Book.

Any advice on where to stop at and where not to? Was thinking of taking i-5 to Prince George to Dease Lake - Dease Lake to Whitehorse- Whitehorse to Tok - Glenn Hiway/Tok cutoff to Anchorage - to Seward...... or do you suggest another route?

First of September roads are usually not snowed in right?

Again Thank you!
You must be an excellent trainer since your dog knows how to drive.

For the most part, you can just stop at a hotel and get a room. If it was earlier in the tourist season, I''d suggest calling ahead that morning to make a reservation, but you should be okay without a reservation.

You're looking at about a 10 hour day for that first leg from Seattle. Make sure you take the cutoff in Bellingham and cross at Sumas instead of going to Blaine. The last time I did it, I left Seattle about 5:00 am in order to get to Prince George before dark (December). With your next leg, I suggest you go past Prince George for an hour or two before camping.

On your second leg, be sure to gas up before turning on to the Cassiar Hwy. Other than being a long driving day, it should be doable and you can always stop before Dease Lake and make the time up on the next leg, if you get too tired.

There is a private campground in Tok. They have hot showers and restrooms, which is better than what's available in rest areas. Fast Eddy's is a surprisingly good place to eat. You shouldn't have any problems with the remaining legs.

Two things you'll need to cross the border are a passport and a health certificate for your dog dated within 30 days. The health certificate is an Alaska requirement and there's a good chance they won't ask to see it, but I wouldn't plan on it. You shouldn't see any snow on the road for the time you'll be driving.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:27 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,560,099 times
Thanks for the help!!!

Waiting on the passport - hopefully show up anyday -- have the dog all done just need to pick up the health certificate from the vet - been getting the dog ready for Hawaii so he has been in and out of vet since April... but didn't know the within 30 days--- what about my return trip in September to return to WA. It will be over 30 days will I need to get another in Alaska to come back? I need the health certificate for Canada also right? or no? and or WA?uhmm didn't think about that one.

Thanks for the campground idea in Tok.. good to know shouldn't need any hotel reservations - campgrounds plenty or spots to camp at I am assuming...

Sumas crossing will remember that - That will be a long day being I am at Mt Rainier so almost 2 hours to Seattle.... Start that one early!

Appreciate the help!!! Take care

Old 07-15-2009, 05:59 PM

5,352 posts, read 15,869,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Thanks for the help!!!

Waiting on the passport - hopefully show up anyday -- have the dog all done just need to pick up the health certificate from the vet - been getting the dog ready for Hawaii so he has been in and out of vet since April... but didn't know the within 30 days--- what about my return trip in September to return to WA. It will be over 30 days will I need to get another in Alaska to come back? I need the health certificate for Canada also right? or no? and or WA?uhmm didn't think about that one.

Thanks for the campground idea in Tok.. good to know shouldn't need any hotel reservations - campgrounds plenty or spots to camp at I am assuming...

Sumas crossing will remember that - That will be a long day being I am at Mt Rainier so almost 2 hours to Seattle.... Start that one early!

Appreciate the help!!! Take care
The certificate is an Alaskan requirement. I don't think it's a Canadian requirement, but they may ask to see it for the rabies vaccination. I don't know what Washington requires. I'd just get one in Washington and on your return to Washington, show it. The information will not have changed and maybe they'll miss the date. The last time I crossed into Washington with a dog, they didn't even ask, but it depends on the border agent.

Seattle rush hour traffic, or anytime during the day. I feel for you there. It was relatively empty if you can get there before 5:00 am, but it would be hard to start much earlier.

A lot of people just park at rest areas. They might hassle you at ones near big towns, but you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:45 PM

243 posts, read 411,232 times
My understanding is 30 days is 30 days anywhere in the US. The same cert is only good for 10 days when flying and coming through airports. Yes that means another vet cert for the return.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:54 AM

There are 2 types of these certificates one you have to have for flying and 1 doesn't have as much red tape. You need the lesser,when we brought our dog across last year we never once were asked anything about the dog,she had her tags on and in fact when we entered Canada we asked the guard if he would like to see it and he said no those were the least of his worries and when we entered AK we weren't asked either. Check out my moving thread for everything I got for her. Its my one about getting a cabin in Central,AK.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:18 AM

OK will check it out.. thanks again didn't think of that.. also haveing a vet arranged up in Alaska just in case....It isn't again check it out in Hawaii for a vet cert but has to be in the retern time of 120 days to from blood test results for rabies up to three years. Hawaii is a at least 4 month time period....OK gotta check it all out. Health certificate is easy.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:36 AM

Thanks Megensmom flying they told me I only needed a health didn't need anything else and no dates. Now driving again is the plan getting so many differnt stories. Again if he has the crap to go to Hawaii he should be good. But thanks for the tips ... I will just cover him in Alaska just in case not that much to do a vet check -- although all my vets are friends and don't charge me - ok loook into that.

But for the driving anyone needing a truck or SUV there Anchorage to Seward? Sold cars for years and like the idea someone else gave me of driving up with a used rig and selling it before I go! Just a hope and dream but have a great buyer if anyone ever needs one. Along the way! I would be talking in the $20k plus amout this year. Yes is Hawaiii I bought a less than $5k rig not up to driving iit up there. Just asking because when I sold cars I had people ask me from Alaska for cars..

Old 07-16-2009, 11:35 AM

Here is the information from when I posted about our dog coming with us. Maybe the link will help you.

Ah ok I just called the Alaska State Vet. place...

Ah ok I just called the Alaska State Vet. place and your are right no where but Alaska requires the Health Certificate. Canada just requires a rabies cert. Crap now I gotta call tomorrow and see if I...

Forum: Alaska 03-21-2008, 04:47 PM Replies: 566
Given a home in Central,AK planning on moving there
Views: 48,368
Posted By akck
The certificate requirement is mainly for...

The certificate requirement is mainly for bringing a pet into Alaska. Check the State of Alaska link:

State Vet - Pets (State Vet - Pets)

Not needed for Canada...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska