U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 12:18 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,249,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
There use to be a lot of music festivals all over the State and most closed shop due to the violence that seemed to come from the outside of the area. Anderson still has a good Bluegrass festival, but they also have a good presence of off duty cops from the Air Force base at Clear, and Trooper asists to keep the trouble makers at bay.

But the cost for keeping it family friendly has been getting so expensive to get in with your family, I haven't gone in years.
This is the same problem all over. I quit going to music festivals back home in North Dakota, Northern Minnesota and Winnepeg, Canada because of the violence and 'disrespectful of everything' people. Drinking and having a good time with old friends and new ones is one thing; getting stupid drunk/high and creating a nuisance (violence/vandelism, etc) is unacceptable.

It would be nice to be able to camp out for a long weekend and listen to some good music again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 01:04 PM

47 posts, read 248,578 times
This weekend’s difficulties in Talkeetna don’t surprise me at all, but the article in the paper did seem exaggerated. Last year my family and I went up to the Moose Dropping festival and was completely surprised by the amount of people, and even more surprised by the large crowd of party campers.

Come to find out the Girdwood festival had been canceled (due to heavy drug use by some party campers/ and lack of local police to stop this) and the party moved up to the Moose Dropping festival. We had a good time but my wife and I had to be very careful of where we went (with a 7 yr old). I really don't recall seeing one police officer in town walking amongst the crowd and campers, and I'm sure word spread amongst party campers.

For this year my guess is that: word spread that Talkeetna was a hoot to the party campers that frequented the Girdwood festival and more came this year, Talkeetna's cramped quarters causes congestion, hot conditions creates a health risks (especially when drugs and alcohol is present), police were hands off until it was too late, the heat most likely created dehydration and heat strokes, lack of town camp sites (not that there should be) pushed people into areas that couldn’t be patrolled, drunken belligerent idiots do idiotic things, ect…..

Old 07-15-2009, 03:42 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,949,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
This is the same problem all over. I quit going to music festivals back home in North Dakota, Northern Minnesota and Winnepeg, Canada because of the violence and 'disrespectful of everything' people. Drinking and having a good time with old friends and new ones is one thing; getting stupid drunk/high and creating a nuisance (violence/vandelism, etc) is unacceptable.

It would be nice to be able to camp out for a long weekend and listen to some good music again.
Well then the Anderson Blue Grass Festival is a good place to go, they don't tolerate the drunks, but do server beer there.

They have camping and a host of other neat stuff and people come with families.

If you are into raising hell, this isn't the place you want to be at and you will see a lot of off duty military police doing security and State Troopers hauling off the "Bad Asses"...

Then not to mention, the music is pretty darn good.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:19 PM

2,019 posts, read 2,707,504 times
This thread makes me sad. I went to the moose dropping festival in 2005, stayed at the hostel in town and had an absolute blast. The mountain mother contest great to watch. I hope they can curb the idiocy so it can remain a good time for all. Even then, I noticed a lot of less than sober drivers heading out on Sunday.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:18 AM

947 posts, read 3,175,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah; my friend's husband and another guy went out after him and found him pretty easily; they figured they knew the trails better than the troopers would. The guy was real scum and used to come up every weekend. He actually had the nerve to show up again; the place where he usually rented a room was suddenly too full to take him
LOL, Perfect. .and this guy does sound like real scum.. I woulda been out there looking for my friend, being more worried about him then my own health in cold weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska