U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 04:21 PM

20,426 posts, read 26,555,365 times

Advertisements

?

you know, it's bad enough that they wrecked the bluegrass festival that used to be good there but now they are ruining the Moose Dropping Festival?

Quote:
Lauri Stec, a 15-year-resident of Talkeetna and the manager of Nagley's General Store, said the weekend was not a good time. "There was a lot of drunken, high, stupid people doing stupid things."

Stec's bicycle, always parked unlocked outside the store, was stolen. The thief "was one of those 'groovy people,' who pretends to be all groovy, kind and good. Well, if he was so good, why did he steal my bike?"

Stec said she's heard the organizers of the festival are seriously reconsidering what to change next year to avoid the mayhem.

Calls to the historical society were not returned Monday.

Resident Julia Crocetto said she's writing a complaint letter. Too many people showed up with their four-wheelers and loose dogs, she said. People removed clothing in the heat. And there was just a lot of noise, she said.

"I was on Main Street and every time you turned around, there was an ambulance coming towards you," she said.

She said she doubted that the outsiders who descended upon the quirky, picturesque town, most likely from Anchorage and other parts of the Mat-Su Valley, were there to help raise money for the historical society.

http://www.adn.com/218/story/863142.html

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-14-2009 at 04:39 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 04:31 PM

16,455 posts, read 21,476,969 times
That's crazy stuff, but it doesn't exactly surprise me...big city problems finding their way in. Anchorage may be small compared to lower 48 big cities, but it has all the problems of big cities down here, and now they'll spread like a cancer to neighboring areas.

We have problems here at some events from people in bigger cities (in MA and NY) coming in thinking they can get away with stuff here because we're small and have less resources to fight them. They don't get away with it entirely though. Local businesses and such can have long memories about troublemakers and make them unwelcome...

Old 07-14-2009, 04:41 PM

1,629 posts, read 4,761,474 times
I think there is a bit exaggeration going on...

newsminer.com • Alaska's Moose Dropping Festival turns to mayhem

"They would jump out of the woods and the brush and pretty much start punching and pummeling everyone," Peters told the Mat-Su Daily Frontiersman."

"Along the river, a roving band of about 10 men, suspected to be gang members from Anchorage, going from campsite to campsite looking to fight. Troopers, she said, noticed that almost every man they spoke with on the riverbank appeared to have cuts, bruises or a fat lip."

"It reminded me of Times Square in New York," she said. "It was chaos."

(I don't see the correlation between Times Square to camp site gangsters and jumping pole men with cuts, bruises and fat lips)

There was obviously a problem, but I don't think as severe as these "witnesses" claim.

Would more police presence fix the issue or are there too many restrictions already in place where when a festival arises people let out all that has built up inside?

Old 07-14-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
That's crazy stuff, but it doesn't exactly surprise me...big city problems finding their way in. Anchorage may be small compared to lower 48 big cities, but it has all the problems of big cities down here, and now they'll spread like a cancer to neighboring areas.
I think it's more of a small town problem. The age where teens are too old for the play ground, yet too young to drink or travel. Small towns don't exactly offer a lot for this age group. The problems weren't muggings etc, it was reckless behavior. I'm not saying locals in Talkeetna, but more from the Mat-Su area

Old 07-14-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I think there is a bit exaggeration going on...

newsminer.com • Alaska's Moose Dropping Festival turns to mayhem

"They would jump out of the woods and the brush and pretty much start punching and pummeling everyone," Peters told the Mat-Su Daily Frontiersman."

"Along the river, a roving band of about 10 men, suspected to be gang members from Anchorage, going from campsite to campsite looking to fight. Troopers, she said, noticed that almost every man they spoke with on the riverbank appeared to have cuts, bruises or a fat lip."

"It reminded me of Times Square in New York," she said. "It was chaos."

(I don't see the correlation between Times Square to camp site gangsters and jumping pole men with cuts, bruises and fat lips)

There was obviously a problem, but I don't think as severe as these "witnesses" claim.

Would more police presence fix the issue or are there too many restrictions already in place where when a festival arises people let out all that has built up inside?
I don't know, Jono; I know Talkeetna extremely well and remember what went on at the bluegrass festival and why all the locals stopped going. "Gang members" from Anchorage might be over the top.
The whole thing sounds like a giant Naukiti mud flats fiasco.

People get away for the weekend and go nuts sometimes. I've seen it happen all over the upper Su, but not on a scale like this before.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't know, Jono; I know Talkeetna extremely well and remember what went on at the bluegrass festival and why all the locals stopped going. "Gang members" from Anchorage might be over the top.
The whole thing sounds like a giant Naukiti mud flats fiasco.

People get away for the weekend and go nuts sometimes. I've seen it happen all over the upper Su, but not on a scale like this before.
What happened in the Naukiti Mud Flats?

Old 07-14-2009, 04:56 PM

16,455 posts, read 21,476,969 times
Quote:
I think it's more of a small town problem. The age where teens are too old for the play ground, yet too young to drink or travel. Small towns don't exactly offer a lot for this age group. The problems weren't muggings etc, it was reckless behavior. I'm not saying locals in Talkeetna, but more from the Mat-Su area
Guess it might depend on where the troublemakers were from. If they were from Anchorage...or not. But then again, the whole Mat-Su is too populated and infested with lower 48 problems and ideas for my tastes (hence why I looked well North of there...). I think if Anchorage didn't exist, there would be far fewer problems.

I guess I was strange...in that age level I had plenty to do in a small town...I was into the outdoors...too many people can't keep themselves occupied without their "entertainment" coming from a TV, game, computer, or drink.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:58 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,286,279 times
Quote:
"build up inside" is simply a way to excuse drunken, moronic behavior - as if the perpetrator somehow has no choice but to relieve some overwhelming pressure. Such behavior only "builds up" if the person is an ignoramus to begin with. Civil, responsible people don't fly off into a drunken bacchanal just becuse they've had a few beers.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
What happened in the Naukiti Mud Flats?
It has quite an interesting ambiance:

Megan in AK: Mud Boggers

Old 07-14-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Guess it might depend on where the troublemakers were from. If they were from Anchorage...or not. But then again, the whole Mat-Su is too populated and infested with lower 48 problems and ideas for my tastes (hence why I looked well North of there...). I think if Anchorage didn't exist, there would be far fewer problems.

I guess I was strange...in that age level I had plenty to do in a small town...I was into the outdoors...too many people can't keep themselves occupied without their "entertainment" coming from a TV, game, computer, or drink.
Most if not all of the troublemakers were from the valley and Anchorage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska