U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 8,141 times

Advertisements

yeah I'm trying to get prepared mentally. I know things are gonna be different but I've been dealing with major life changes since I left Wasilla when I was 18. I'm just ready to go home. Colorado really really suuuuuuuucks. I'm so biased but whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 05:49 AM

6,307 posts, read 4,190,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebs View Post
Pretty much haven't really been home in 6 years. When I got out of the service I have been staying in Colorado and workin the oilfield. Well the economy has crash, me and the ex broke up, and I'm loading all my **** and going back to Wasilla! I am sooooo stoked. Just wanted to let you all know. I miss Ak sooo much. I was born and raised there and nothing even comes close to Alaska. Sounds corny, but it's a magical place to live.
Well, I just got back from Resurrection Bay and limited out on Silvers, Chickens and Black Bass.. So, the fish are still here and waiting for ya!

Old 01-30-2010, 11:27 AM

124 posts, read 229,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Palmer and Wasilla will merge before Anchorage gets out this far. If you drive down the Palmer/Wasilla Highway it is already getting difficult to determine where Palmer ends and where Wasilla begins, and visa versa. The same is also true with Wasilla and Houston. .
I would agree that the boundary between Wasilla and Palmer is becoming increasingly blurred, that is until you talk to the people. I always get a chuckle at how Palmer residents insist they have the superior locale and Wasilla folk do much the same. I bet their high school sports teams maintain high spirited rivalries!

I'd go for the Butte just to avoid the wind but I'm a pansy about the commute so I'll probably end up in Wasilla.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:07 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,513,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malagagirl View Post
I would agree that the boundary between Wasilla and Palmer is becoming increasingly blurred, that is until you talk to the people. I always get a chuckle at how Palmer residents insist they have the superior locale and Wasilla folk do much the same. I bet their high school sports teams maintain high spirited rivalries!

I'd go for the Butte just to avoid the wind but I'm a pansy about the commute so I'll probably end up in Wasilla.

Malagagirl, this is an old thread. The OP never came back to post. However, I don't know why anyone would think the boundary between Palmer & Wasilla is becoming blurred. Curious as to how you came to that conclusion after being up here twice. After being in Wasilla for 8 years I don't see it. ?

Old 01-30-2010, 12:27 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,012,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
However, I don't know why anyone would think the boundary between Palmer & Wasilla is becoming blurred. Curious as to how you came to that conclusion after being up here twice. After being in Wasilla for 8 years I don't see it. ?
It didn't seem blurred to me either when I was up last September. 'Specially with the football rivalry going on.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:17 PM

124 posts, read 229,665 times
I admit to VERY limited time up there but it did seem to me that the towns are creeping toward each other in terms of the residential building. The two towns have VERY different feels when in the town proper where the businesses are, but driving between them it struck me that for all the talk of how different they are that they had a lot more in common than either one gave credit for. I was looking more at houses than at business sections. There were a lot of houses between the two that I had to keep double checking to see if it was considered a Palmer or Wasilla address and after a while that distinction mattered less and less.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:29 PM

20,484 posts, read 26,627,867 times
The Palmer/Wasilla Hwy used to be a drive in the country and now it's mostly residential; I agree that the lines are getting blurry there.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:53 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,513,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malagagirl View Post
I admit to VERY limited time up there but it did seem to me that the towns are creeping toward each other in terms of the residential building. The two towns have VERY different feels when in the town proper where the businesses are, but driving between them it struck me that for all the talk of how different they are that they had a lot more in common than either one gave credit for. I was looking more at houses than at business sections. There were a lot of houses between the two that I had to keep double checking to see if it was considered a Palmer or Wasilla address and after a while that distinction mattered less and less.

Yes there is a point where an area becomes Palmer. Big difference in the two towns. Palmer does not want any box stores, they only have Fred Meyers and Carr's Safeway. They don't want it there but come to Wasilla to shop at Walmart, Target, etc. and better restaurants then they have. The only thing I see blurred is where at some points it quickly changes into one or the other, that's about it. Palmer seems to be doing alot of building of condos. As far as the two they are different.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:40 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,885,965 times
Well, the fact is that there is a discrete line, I've never seen it drawn on a map but the post office obviously has a line on one side of which you will have a Palmer address and on the other side it will be Wasilla.

The high school in the middle is Colony but the rivalry between Wasilla and Palmer is more intense. The potato bowl between Wasilla and Palmer always fills the stands.

I'm sure that eventually the city limit lines will meet.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:09 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,644,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Well, the fact is that there is a discrete line, I've never seen it drawn on a map but the post office obviously has a line on one side of which you will have a Palmer address and on the other side it will be Wasilla.

The high school in the middle is Colony but the rivalry between Wasilla and Palmer is more intense. The potato bowl between Wasilla and Palmer always fills the stands.

I'm sure that eventually the city limit lines will meet.
The city limits is very clearly marked for both Wasilla and Palmer, and they are about 10 miles apart along the Palmer/Wasilla Highway. However, businesses and residences continue to line the highway the entire distance between the two city limit boundaries. They are not in the city of Palmer or Wasilla, but in the suburbs of both. If you took down those city limit signs, you would be hard pressed to tell where Palmer ends and Wasilla begins.

The same is also true in the other direction, down the Knik-Goose Bay Road. It used to be only very sparodic development until you got to Settler's Bay, 8 miles west of the Wasilla city limits. But today, there is development all along those 8 miles. If you took down the city limits sign, you would swear Wasilla stretched to Settler's Bay.

Last edited by Glitch; 01-31-2010 at 04:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska