Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:25 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The city limits is very clearly marked for both Wasilla and Palmer, and they are about 10 miles apart along the Palmer/Wasilla Highway. However, businesses and residences continue to line the highway the entire distance between the two city limit boundaries. They are not in the city of Palmer or Wasilla, but in the suburbs of both. If you took down those city limit signs, you would be hard pressed to tell where Palmer ends and Wasilla begins.

The same is also true in the other direction, down the Knik-Goose Bay Road. It used to be only very sparodic development until you got to Settler's Bay, 8 miles west of the Wasilla city limits. But today, there is development all along those 8 miles. If you took down the city limits sign, you would swear Wasilla stretched to Settler's Bay.
Yes, that's true, in fact here are the maps. Palmer (http://www.cityofpalmer.org/vertical/Sites/%7BCEEE28AE-9003-4337-8BE2-A1961FF16E3D%7D/uploads/%7BD1F3B4D7-C6F8-4B0C-A0BD-93FB71C54388%7D.PDF - broken link), Wasilla. But the fact is that somewhere between Palmer and Wasilla you will have a Wasilla address on one side of the line and a Palmer address on the other. It has to do with the post office. The line is somewhere close to the ATT Sports Center on the Palmer/Wasilla Hwy.

So people call themselves Wasilla or Palmer even though most of us are not in either one. I live about one mile from the Palmer city limits. Mat-Su Regional Hospital is about 5 miles from Palmer and Wasilla but it's considered Palmer. I know the cities each want to extend their boundaries and it's only a matter of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 11:39 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
More confusion to the Palmer/Wasilla debate...Hartley Motors is on the Parks and it's address is Palmer Alaska. To me this is Wasilla, or should be. My uncle lives on the south side of Trunk Road, to me this should also be called Wasilla, but his address reads Palmer.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:16 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
More confusion to the Palmer/Wasilla debate...Hartley Motors is on the Parks and it's address is Palmer Alaska. To me this is Wasilla, or should be. My uncle lives on the south side of Trunk Road, to me this should also be called Wasilla, but his address reads Palmer.
If you think that is confusing, the legal description of my property says I live in the township of Houston, and I get my mail at the Knik Post Office, even though my mailing address says Wasilla.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:59 AM

124 posts, read 276,563 times
Quote:
The city limits is very clearly marked for both Wasilla and Palmer, and they are about 10 miles apart along the Palmer/Wasilla Highway. However, businesses and residences continue to line the highway the entire distance between the two city limit boundaries. They are not in the city of Palmer or Wasilla, but in the suburbs of both. If you took down those city limit signs, you would be hard pressed to tell where Palmer ends and Wasilla begins.
This was exactly my original point. YES, I get it that the heart of the towns themselves are very different and no one would confuse the two. I also understand that there is a distinct legal boundary for Post Office and Tax roll purposes. But in practice, the inbetween unincorporated Borough area is pretty darned ambiguous.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
If you think that is confusing, the legal description of my property says I live in the township of Houston, and I get my mail at the Knik Post Office, even though my mailing address says Wasilla.
Holy cow! That's is pretty wild.

I'm writing a lecture for the online Sociology class I teach (for an Idaho college even though I live in Oregon and hope to soon move to Alaska...)
It addresses the topic of social networks and the way we identify with place. What community do YOU feel most a part of?

Old 02-01-2010, 08:32 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malagagirl View Post
What community do YOU feel most a part of?
Palmer, AK

Old 02-01-2010, 08:54 AM

That's hillarious considering the Houston/Knik/Wasilla info.

Palmer is where I was originally looking to move, but if I'm working in Wasilla I'd just as soon live there and have less of a commute. Yeah, I've heard all the stuff about how Wasilla is turning into one big strip mall and has no charm, but after living in a rural agriculture out in the middle of no where place for the last 8 yrs I'm tired of having to drive 10-15 miles just to buy a loaf of bread.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:00 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malagagirl View Post
That's hillarious considering the Houston/Knik/Wasilla info.

Palmer is where I was originally looking to move, but if I'm working in Wasilla I'd just as soon live there and have less of a commute. Yeah, I've heard all the stuff about how Wasilla is turning into one big strip mall and has no charm, but after living in a rural agriculture out in the middle of no where place for the last 8 yrs I'm tired of having to drive 10-15 miles just to buy a loaf of bread.
Wasilla is only a "strip mall" from the perception of those who never leave the Parks Highway as they drive through town.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:13 AM

Default Pick your focus

Quote:
Wasilla is only a "strip mall" from the perception of those who never leave the Parks Highway as they drive through town.
Yeah, that was my perception. There are some lovely area.

My experience has been that nearly every place I've been (and that's A LOT of places!) has both nice things about it and crummy things about it. We each choose which to focus on.

In preparing for this move I've been taking a metal mason jar ring and having that represent first a 10 mile circle then a 50 mile circle. I decide what things I really want within 10 miles (groceries, medical care, library, fishing) and what things I want within 50 (about 10 things based on my own preferences, values and quirks). That helps me sort out what will be my best place to land. But I do not expect anyplace to be perfect. I'll just focus all I can on the good stuff and take the not so charming in stride.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:

Exactly. Leave the Parks Highway and the city limits, it's just as pretty as Palmer, if not more so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska