Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:29 AM

32 posts, read 74,785 times

Advertisements

Already got my ticket for me and the truck. going from Bellingham to Juneau

any tips for the ferry ride bring this bring that dont bring this, how early should I arrive? their site says 3 hours but im planning on much more. Im satying in seattle and driving to Bellingham the day of.

Oh yes, no acabin rental for me, had to pay for the truck instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 08:01 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Bring food, sleeping bag and some kind of padding for putting on the floor. Last time I slept commando on the ferry floor my hips hurt for a week. The food on the ferry is pretty darn expensive. Quarters for the lockers on the ferry. When your away from your "nest" on the ferry it's a good idea to lock your valuable stuff up. They don't have much problems with theft but they do happen. Since this is your first trip don't forget to bring a camera.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:19 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
I do not know how often, but you will be allowed to go to your truck at least whenever the ferry calls on a port. If you are traveling during the summer the ferry can be quite full so I would grab a locker first thing before they all get taken. There is a solarium but sadly there will be people who will leave their stuff on the loungers even when they are off doing something. They will always leave one person there to say the seats are taken. Use to be you could pitch a small tent as long as it is out of the way. Do not know if they still allow that.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 AM

860 posts, read 2,056,144 times
You can make your trip as comfortable as you like. Do get there early and set up a small dome tent on the solarium level - not only will you have a comfortable, private place to sleep, you can zip your belongings inside while you wander the ship and they'll be perfectly safe. It's very rare that anyone bothers anothers things onboard and I can't imagine anyone rummaging through a zipped up tent. There are nice showers just below the solarium level. Bring a small cooler with drinks and snacks, maybe some sandwich fixin's, don't forget binoculors, camera and something to read. Learn to play cribbage, there's always a crib board and cards in the bar and someone willing to play a game or two if you get bored.
You'll be able to go to the car deck at each stop so if you've forgotten something not to worry, you can get it later.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:08 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
On the run from Bellingham to Ketchikan you'll have a chance to go to the car deck a few times. If I remember they have the car deck times posted over by the pursers desk. Tent up on the solarium is good advice.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:15 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Bring a good digital camera with a large memory card since everyone else filled you in on the smaller issues!

Old 07-15-2009, 10:39 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Do the ferries have wifi?

Old 07-15-2009, 10:48 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Do the ferries have wifi?

The cruise ships do. My Wifi came on when we were passing one.

The have a "Internet room" on some of the State ferries, but Internet was only at the dock.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:11 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
Bring reading material. If you have a laptop, you can plug in for power and watch DVDs at night. While I wouldn't buy all meals aboard, they do have daily specials that aren't priced too badly. Also, you can get a hamburger meal in the $5-10 range. Get off the ferry and walk around at each port. I believe there's a grocery store within walking distance at Ketchikan, so you can re-stock any food/drink items you've depleted. In any case, you can say you set foot in each town.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:25 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Definitely check out the ports. I thought Ketchikan was beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska