U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,513 times

Advertisements

My family will be flying to Anchorage next Tuesday and I am wondering - what should I make sure we do or see? We are thinking about doing some fishing around Kenai. I would also love to find some neat shops, markets, eating places, etc. We have an RV rented upon arrival and will be there for 10 days. Also, anything I need to know about seeing Alaska in an RV? Yikes - neither I nor my hubby have driven one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 01:55 AM

14 posts, read 34,699 times
Hi there!

Firstly I should clarify that I don't live in Alaska and have never been to Alaska and actually live in South Australia, BUT... I read anything and everything I can and have also had some helpful tidbits on here whilst planning a 2 day stop in Anchorage later this year (Sept).

Here is what I want to fit into our short stopover in Anchorage:

Food:
Breakfast at Gwennie's (King Crab Omlette or fried halibut sandwhich anyone?) YUM big hearty breakfasts to set you up for the whole day.
Lunch at the Moose's Tooth - somethign like 40 different kinds of wood fired pizzas and lots of different kinds of beers/lagers/ales etc.
Dinner at Simon's - apparently the most brilliant seafood dishes!

Things to do:
ATV Adventure - we are doing a 3 hour ATV ride through the forests, mountains and rivers about a half hour south of Anchorage and cannot wait! I found the company we are using on the The Official Anchorage Alaska Travel Guide from the Anchorage Convention and Visitors Bureau website - it has a wealth of information on there.
Animal Conservation Park - again, south of Anchorage - where orphaned animals go to live when they can't be released back into the wild - A MUST. There is also a zoo which we will try to get to if we can, but the conservation/rehabilitation park is more important to us.
Portage - We are taking a cruise out of Whittier, so will be driving down there ourselves. Depending on our movements that day, I hope to duck into the Portage area for a quick spot of sightseeing.

Five tips worth mentioning are:
1 - DO NOT try to have a lager or two at lunch and then drive your RV as there is zero tolerance for driving under the influence. (So maybe go to the Moose's Tooth for dinner instead and catch a cab back to your hotel)
2 - I don't know what country you are from, but in Australia we drive on the left hand side of the road, so I was worried about driving around roundabouts the wrong way - there is only one in Alaska, in Juneau, so no worries mate!
3 - Always try to keep your petrol topped up in the RV, as sometimes you will go for a LONG period of time in the country areas with no fuel stations.
4 - Alaska is famous for its salmon and other seafood, so make it a point to try whatever you can whilst there.
5 - You can order reindeer meat in restaurants, but you apparently won't find bear, moose or caribou as it is illegal to sell their meats (so don't ask for it). If you manage to befriend a successful hunter, then you might get lucky.

Have a wonderful time SJ and I would love to hear about your trip when you get home... let me kow if any of my tips helped you!

Old 07-17-2009, 02:15 AM

21,358 posts, read 32,337,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KooieBear View Post
2 - I don't know what country you are from, but in Australia we drive on the left hand side of the road, so I was worried about driving around roundabouts the wrong way - there is only one in Alaska, in Juneau, so no worries mate!
Anchorage has four Roundabouts. Two on either side of the Seward Highway at Dowling and two on either side of Minnesota at C Street.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:42 AM

14 posts, read 34,699 times
Oh bugga, now I am worrying again! Thanks Warptman - I think...

Old 07-17-2009, 03:20 AM

1,629 posts, read 4,764,834 times
Add Glacier Brewhouse for lunch or dinner.

The Animal Conservation Park is okay....it's fine if it's on the way, but it is not worth driving to just for it.

The Milepost is a great book/guide for driving around Alaska.

Make sure you have a fishing license before you fish...Alaska law is ridiculously strict about it.

I think an RV is the best way to experience Alaska, Enjoy!

Last edited by Jonotastic; 07-17-2009 at 03:31 AM..

Old 07-17-2009, 09:48 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,586,242 times
You won't have any problem finding gas stations on the Kenai Peninsula. The smaller communities they close about 8 or 9 PM tho. Places like Soldotna and Kenai the are open 24-7.
See the Anchorage Zoo. They've got a nice selection of critters that are found in the wild of Alaska.
Should be some good silver fishing out of Whittier or Seward...and the Kenai River will offer some good salmon and trout fishing. You could do Halibut charters out of any coastal town on the peninsula.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:49 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,293,299 times
The reds are running like crazy in Kenai right now. I'm down here with some friends dipping and we all limited out in two days!

Old 07-19-2009, 04:01 PM

3,774 posts, read 9,904,604 times
Same at Bird Creek!

Old 07-19-2009, 08:11 PM

202 posts, read 730,949 times
Default Kenai plugged until the end of July

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
The reds are running like crazy in Kenai right now. I'm down here with some friends dipping and we all limited out in two days!
This weekend in Kenai was madness. There must have been 5,000 people on the beach dipnetting salmon. There is no parking available anywhere near the river, especially on the weekends. There is a lot of fish so far this year.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:55 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,293,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkalaska View Post
This weekend in Kenai was madness. There must have been 5,000 people on the beach dipnetting salmon. There is no parking available anywhere near the river, especially on the weekends. There is a lot of fish so far this year.
Yep, it was crazy! But damn there were allot of fish!

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo224/Bears_On_Ice/20090717_Dipnet_6772copy.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or