Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 05:05 AM

7,484 posts, read 5,735,329 times

Advertisements

If there once was a bearing land bridge (10,000 years ago) that allowed people to cross into North America then there must have been so much ice that the sea level dropped and exposed the bridge. Now, that must have been a really cold period hugh?

Then, things started warming up and a significant portion of the ice melted and the land bridge was gone.

I wonder if the "inhabitants" thought about global warming then?

I went fishing for three days and didn't have a chance to get in on this one before it went south

http://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...ps-alaska.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 05:46 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,642,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I wonder if the "inhabitants" thought about global warming then?
Apparently what we've seen in Alaska over the past 30 years was similar to what would have been seen by those previous "inhabitants" over hundreds of years. Hence no individual would have noticed much change in a lifetime, but traditional oral histories would no doubt have allowed them to be aware of the slow changes.

The current imbalance in the carbon cycle has not been experienced on earth for over 600,000 years, which seems to be the reason for such a rapid acceleration in the warming rate.

Here is the long term picture for the carbon cycle (posted previously by by user "akdreamin"):
And here is the short term picture:

Old 07-17-2009, 05:57 AM

1,435 posts, read 2,775,136 times
This happens periodically and is not any less dangerous to human population just because mother nature is responsible. Now we have the mystery "blob" floating off of the North Slope coast killing birds and anything that gets in its way. No one there ever remembers such a thing... Mystery solved: it's a special kind of algae. But algae blooms are caused by warmed water.
And if mankind is responsible for this period of warming up than we deserve the consequences...
Just in the news, mitochondrial DNA of several neanderthal individuals deciphered bringing many answers to its demise. But such a study was done on thousands of humans and surprisingly it points that modern population comes from but a few thousands of individuals that existed some 67000 years ago. Geology answers why: a huge caldera volcano erupted just than and nuclear winter followed. Only 3 to 5 thousand humans survived.
Computer simulations show that the global warming can suddenly stop the Gulf stream. Interior Alaska winters will come to England and much of Europe. Short cool summers, no agriculture to speak of. No infrastructure to withstand it either.
Will man unite than or go to war? Personally, I see the second happening. The land bridge to Chuckotka is meaningless than.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
that must have been a really cold period hugh?
Here is a graph showing data generated by evaluating the Vostok Antarctic ice field.
Another similar chart, showing Vostok data and EPICA (European Project for Ice Coring in Antarctica) data from Dome Concordia and Kohnen Station, both also in Antarctica, and comparing it to ice volume.

Note the extreme correlation between temperature and ice volume. Also note the relative correlation between cold periods and dust (speculation is that cold dry periods are the cause of the dust, as opposed to the opposite). And then of course the correlation between CO2 and temperature is thought to be that temperature is affected by the amount of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere, which of course is predominantly CO2
Here is a graph of the past 12 thousand years. Note for example that at the end of the ice age (of which only a very small part is show here), between 10,000 and 11,000 years ago, the temperature changed less than 1.5 degrees C in 1000 years.
What's it all mean? Well, take another look at the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, and then review all of these graphs again. We don't know if the obvious conclusions are correct, but it does seem a bit silly to ignore the potential.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
This happens periodically and is not any less dangerous to human population just because mother nature is responsible.
The last time CO2 levels were at the current level was more than 600,000 years ago. Note that it was caused then by the earth (which previously had been gradually cooling) becoming cold for an extended period and almost totally ice covered. The pendulum swing caused an extended warm period, relatively, and melted most of the ice.

Again, the "problem" is not what we've seen in the way of temperature change up to this point, but rather the huge rise in CO2 that as far as we know has always resulted in a following temperature change. Who knows what happens with this much CO2? Since the earth is not now covered with ice, will it get exceedingly warm again? Or only so warm and then rebound to exceedingly cold again? Neither would appear ideal for humans.
Where we are at now... if the earth's temperature continues to follow the CO2 levels, we are about to head for temperatures that have not existed on earth for 3 million years.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:13 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,549,179 times
In as much as all the charts you guys have posted show the same thing, I have stated all along.

Cycles repeat all throughout the planet's history.

Yell "the sky is falling" and follow the money.

Grasp the obvious. Oh, copy ad paste the part where NASA shows that all the planets are showing an increased surface temp.

Last edited by starlite9; 07-17-2009 at 09:09 AM..

Old 07-17-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
In as much as all the charts you guys have post show the same thing I have stated all along.
I don't recall you ever pointing out that temperatures follow CO2 levels and that those are now higher than they have been in 600,000 years. Seems you didn't actually state what the charts show at all.
Quote:
Yell "the sky is falling" and follow the money.

Grasp the obvious.
Yes. That being some folks have vivid imaginations but cannot relate a thing to factual information or reality...

Old 07-17-2009, 09:18 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,549,179 times
Well if you copy and paste the NASA data on the reflected surface temps of the othe planets, you will find the "Sun" is the one that is causing the temp increase, not man.

Arrogance of man's ability is a bit overdone... Although we do have the ability to wipe ourselves off the planet in less than an hour, which to me is a tad more pressing.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well if you copy and paste the NASA data on the reflected surface temps of the othe planets, you will find the "Sun" is the one that is causing the temp increase, not man.

Arrogance of man's ability is a bit overdone... Although we do have the ability to wipe ourselves off the planet in less than an hour, which to me is a tad more pressing.
Your logic is very hard to argue with. Since none can be found...

Old 07-17-2009, 10:58 AM

32 posts, read 74,726 times
as long as i get my rocks of before it goes kaput, that said i will do my part to recycle, conserve energy, and manage my hunting practices for future generations. Oh yes and consume less beer therby limiting my off gassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska