U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:47 PM

222 posts, read 321,018 times

Advertisements

I'd be interested any getting ($) a pass for any of the days. PM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 04:16 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,717,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrot View Post
Second Way: Take Alaska Rail Road to Denali National Park. 8 hour trip from Anchorage. Then take Denali National Park bus into Denali to Wonder Lake about 12 hours round trip.

Anyone has pictures of Wonder Lake to post?

Old 07-13-2011, 01:25 AM

157 posts, read 193,489 times
We were not picked for this year - oh well. Guess we'll have to try again next year. Congrats to those who got tickets!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:36 AM

Denali Road Lottery Winners 2011.

Denali National Park and Preserve - Road Lottery (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 07-14-2011, 05:50 PM

#idea. Someone can make income living opening up full service auto repair station in Healy, Alaska.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:23 AM

3,980 posts, read 2,969,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
#idea. Someone can make income living opening up full service auto repair station in Healy, Alaska.
Gaddis Services, Inc

Old 07-15-2011, 04:49 PM

Shuttle Bus - - Denali NP
‪Polychrome Pass, Denali National Park‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-16-2011, 02:05 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,948,189 times
For those that won, I have been back there a number of times and am going on Saturday (17th) again and hope to see you!

As long as you fill up before you head into the park, you won't need to carry extra gas, it is 160 miles round trip so if you have a normal car, that is about half to a third of a tank of fuel at the average, so gas isn't a problem if you are topped off, there is a Tesoro Station about three miles North of the Park entrance.

The Eielson Center is now open about halfway in, it is a really neat place to stop and visit and is set on the edge of a mountain and the view is outstanding.

One year, I had more people than my pickup could handle, so I rented a van an took a gaggle of folks with me and they weren't disapointed!

There is outhouse stops all along the route, so you may want to bring some TP, but most are well stocked and pretty well taken care of.

There will be a few busses still doing the tourist routine, so if you see a bus stop, one of the other buses have called them on the radio and told them where some critters were at on the road, so keep your eyes open.

You will see lots of critters like bear, wolf, moose, Dall sheep, and a lot of other stuff that will be neat to take photos of. Not advisable to bring pets, they are very strict about not having dogs and the like roaming around, must be on a leash anytime they are out of the car, but leaving them with someone else would be a lot better for them and you. If a bear walks up to the window, you may find yourself in lot of dog excrement, if not people's as well, the bears can get pretty excited at seeing a Doggie treat in your car.

If you have choices of vehicles to drive, I would suggest a truck that sits up higher to see over the brush, cars will have no problems though, just not the same view.

Those that have GPS's, they are neat to use along the way just to let you know where you are on the road system, cell phones stop working about seven miles into the park.

The downside is that the snow comes about that time as well in the pass, so you may not be able to make it all the way back. The last time I went a few years ago, it was on the third day, the first two days of the lottery winners going, made it only half way due to snow, the road was plowed open for us on the third day so we just got in under the wire, and the Mountain was out without a cloud in the sky when we cleared the pass!

Bring a cooler with all the eats/drinks you are going to want to take with you, there really isn't anyplace that sells anything that time of year. The Lodges back in the Kantishna area are all closed for the season about that time, so you have what you bring.

These are some of the photos I took back on some of the trips.

The dates aren't correct on the photos due to I never set the camera time, but you can see a bunch of them on my profile photos here at:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...onal-park.html

As you come over the Pass, you get to see the Mountain for almost the first time from inside the park. Most times you can't see it at all due to weather, so if you do get to see it, you are lucky! Many people come from all over the world and never see this view!

Sign with Nails in it to keep the bears from rubbing on it

Regardless, if you can't see the mountian on your trip, you will see lots of wildlife, so bring a couple good sets of Glasses to scope out the sides of the hills and mountains, you will see a lot of critters by the sides of the road as well. But regardless, enjoy your trip back to Wonder Lake, only a handfull a year get to go and of the 1600 cars allowed over the four days, something like 11,500 people applied for the chance and didn't make the cut! Each year more try, so it will get harder and harder to win the chance. Will look forward to seeing a bunch of neat photos here!

Last edited by starlite9; 07-16-2011 at 02:17 AM..

Old 07-16-2011, 02:16 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,948,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrot View Post
Well if someone isn't going, this year they announced they are transferable. But you can still ride the tour buses, not the same as driving your car, but still a treat and you do sit up a lot higher to see more.

Best bet is to put an ad in the Newspapers asking if someone won isn't going and if you can buy/trade for the ticket, I don't know if you can buy them, but I don't see why not either, but they may have rules against that.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:18 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,700,376 times
Thanks for the great information and pictures starlite9...hope to see you (along with the mountain and many critters) on Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska