U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:49 AM

5,963 posts, read 10,494,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
They can't be like they are here because they don't exist here.
You can DM me if you like.....we can't veer "off-topic" here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 11:15 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,592,282 times
If my choices were between Valdez and Fairbanks, I would choose Valdez. I have nothing against Fairbanks, I just don't care to be that cold in the winter or that hot in the summer. Valdez was picked to be the oil terminal for the oil companies because it is a "warm-water" port (meaning the ocean does not freeze during the winter). However, the weather in Valdez is not exactly ideal either. While being considerably warmer during the winter than Fairbanks, Valdez gets a great deal of snow. When I say "great deal of snow" I am not exagerating either. Valdez averages about 320" of snowfall every winter. By comparison, the city that gets the most snow in the lower-48 is Buffalo, NY, which averages between 80" and 100" of snowfall annually. Valdez does have a lot of attraction if you are into fishing, hiking, or skiing, and the scenery is surreal.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:19 AM

21,358 posts, read 32,304,943 times
I was amazed the first time I drove to Valdez, this was in the spring after a "small" dumping of snow. The snow was higher than the suv I rented! These weren't drifts either, actual snowfall. Amazing.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:31 AM

145 posts, read 487,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Ahhh...you don't want to deal with the issues that come with it Way to civilized...-48'll'ized...just invest elsewhere...
Wow...ah come on guys; when I think of where I live...neither the term "Whitesilla" nor "-48 ill'ized" come to mind.

I dunno if people who live elsewhere think that the entire population of "Wasilla" live in a pile in the Wal-Mart parking lot or what, but...really guys, I'm just saying...we don't even get mail delivery out here where I live.

J,M & J, maybe I'm just another city drone from the hills of Vermont, but when you have to travel at least 25 minutes to see something...I don't associate that with the -48 type of living.

I suspect the physical and social aspects of the 'city-limits" of Wasilla are in no way reflective of the majority...who live outside these limits.

This is the most beautiful place I can imagine.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:10 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,494,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Deb View Post
Wow...ah come on guys; when I think of where I live...neither the term "Whitesilla" nor "-48 ill'ized" come to mind.

I dunno if people who live elsewhere think that the entire population of "Wasilla" live in a pile in the Wal-Mart parking lot or what, but...really guys, I'm just saying...we don't even get mail delivery out here where I live.

J,M & J, maybe I'm just another city drone from the hills of Vermont, but when you have to travel at least 25 minutes to see something...I don't associate that with the -48 type of living.

I suspect the physical and social aspects of the 'city-limits" of Wasilla are in no way reflective of the majority...who live outside these limits.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:53 PM

20,422 posts, read 26,544,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Deb View Post

It's all subjective. At my place in Central Oregon, I feel too much like I'm in a city but it's really a tiny little community and you have to drive 50 miles to see anything. I've lived in places before where there are no roads; the only way out is by seaplane or boat.

I have very little idea what it's like east of the Rockies since I do not go there except under duress and then I am usually too ill to notice much. My friend Valerie says that there are people everywhere.

Here, on Prisoner of Weather Island, we've never had mail delivery. In fact the reason I stopped spending winters here is because I'd buy a bunch of stuff on E-Bay and it would take forever to get here because it would be sitting in Ketchikan unable to get here because the mail planes weren't flying. I think I'll start wintering in Chile; that way I can have summer all the time.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:03 PM

20,422 posts, read 26,544,024 times
Oh by the way, AKDeb, I've always thought one of the most beautiful areas of the state is close by where you live. On the Glenn about 30 miles away from Glenallen--really something there. Another good part is right around Sitka, where everything starts to get noticeably bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or