U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 02:44 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,262,818 times

Advertisements

Thanks. The village has a Village Public Safety Officer but in the 8 months I've been here, the only AST I've seen is retired and lives here. I've seen Rangers off and on.

The villagers don't hunt bear. Lots of fishing guides among them but no bear guides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:57 PM

20,534 posts, read 26,698,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocop36101 View Post
Hello all, can anyone tell me about the alaskan state troopers? I am submitting an application to get into the troopers academy in february. I currently live In North Carolina, but am considering a move. My wife is a teacher, so she would have good opportunity in alaska and the pay for troopers is great. Please tell me of anything you know about it. I don't know much
Well, the other day I was in my truck stopped at a stop sign and noticed a couple of trooper vehicles going over the speed limit down the main road. I turned and followed them--not following them to follow them, I was just going that way. But of course I was curious about where they were going in a hurry. When I got to the store I saw them in the drive through of a coffee/sandwich place. They must have been trying to get there before it closed at 2PM. Why it closes so early is beyond me, except that the woman who owns it probably doesn't want to be there all the time and it's a bit tough finding good help these days as I well know.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:06 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,416,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well, the other day I was in my truck stopped at a stop sign and noticed a couple of trooper vehicles going over the speed limit down the main road. I turned and followed them--not following them to follow them, I was just going that way. But of course I was curious about where they were going in a hurry. When I got to the store I saw them in the drive through of a coffee/sandwich place. They must have been trying to get there before it closed at 2PM. Why it closes so early is beyond me, except that the woman who owns it probably doesn't want to be there all the time and it's a bit tough finding good help these days as I well know.
There must be some great donuts there!

Old 07-21-2009, 12:26 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,991,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
I'm currently living on Admiralty Island which is a National Monument. Who has jurisdiction here, AST or Park Rangers?
At one time, the Alaska State Troopers were also card carrying Federal Marshall's and could go on any Federal Property as a Federal Marshall could. It was handed down when the state was a Territory and the State Troopers were a Territorial Police.

Don't know if that is still in effect, but it was at one time.

If so still intact, the Troopers can/could invoke the Federal Marshall card and arrest a "Criminal" on Federal Property...

Any input on that?

Old 07-21-2009, 01:31 AM

16 posts, read 99,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Ok, first off... where were you guys 3 years ago when I was looking for a police forum? When I finally find THAT forum, you post a link to it. What the...

Robocop, are you the same Robocop as on the Officer.forum? (If I may ask?)

And, btw, what is FTO? They keep talking about that on officer.com, and I think I know what it is about, but not what it actually means. Any help?

What is the pay for a trooper in Alaska? Does it depend on where you're stationed, or is pay based on "normal" criterias?

Nah, I'm a different robocop. The real one. Thanks for all the responses. I'll check out that forum

Old 07-21-2009, 03:30 PM

15 posts, read 35,724 times
Default Trooper Program

I believe the training is in Sitka. My daughter also applied for a position. She has a JD degree and more than fit for the task. She is looking forward to living in the state where she was born, being single, she doesn't care where she will be stationed.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:06 PM

6,956 posts, read 11,761,705 times
The Academy is in Sitka.

Public Safety Training Academy

Old 07-22-2009, 09:51 AM

515 posts, read 934,110 times
Quote:
I'm currently living on Admiralty Island which is a National Monument. Who has jurisdiction here, AST or Park Rangers?
Most national forests - of which Admiralty Nat'l Monument is considered a part of for enforcement purposes - have what they call concurrent jurisdiction with federal, state, and local law enforcement. When a crime occurs, it's prosecuted by the most appropriate court.

Regarding AST's - I would be very surprised is the AST's are still deputized by the U.S. Marshal's Service. First, they have no need to be. They can already enforce state law and, with concurrent jurisdiction, have no need to enforce federal law, as well. Second, the USMS does NOT like to deputize anyone outisde their own agency, for good reason: they bear a certain measure of responsibility for that person and their actions, and they don't like to do it with people that they were not allowed to hire and train to their own standards. They had to deputize a lot of non-USMS officers during Katrina and it was like pulling teeth, even with the stuff actually happening.

As already stated, if you want to be a trooper in AK, be prepared to have to live somewhere like Craig or Hoonah for a few years. I actually like places like that, as do many people. Many others, however, do not. Especially spouses.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:50 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,991,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
Most national forests - of which Admiralty Nat'l Monument is considered a part of for enforcement purposes - have what they call concurrent jurisdiction with federal, state, and local law enforcement. When a crime occurs, it's prosecuted by the most appropriate court.

Regarding AST's - I would be very surprised is the AST's are still deputized by the U.S. Marshal's Service. First, they have no need to be. They can already enforce state law and, with concurrent jurisdiction, have no need to enforce federal law, as well. Second, the USMS does NOT like to deputize anyone outisde their own agency, for good reason: they bear a certain measure of responsibility for that person and their actions, and they don't like to do it with people that they were not allowed to hire and train to their own standards. They had to deputize a lot of non-USMS officers during Katrina and it was like pulling teeth, even with the stuff actually happening.

As already stated, if you want to be a trooper in AK, be prepared to have to live somewhere like Craig or Hoonah for a few years. I actually like places like that, as do many people. Many others, however, do not. Especially spouses.
The USMS didn't have any choice of "Deputizing" the Alaska State Troopers, it was a Congressional Act at the time from when before Alaska was a State and was still in practice up into the 80's when I was "chasing taillights" at the time. All Alaska State Troopers carried a card stating/granting that ability.

It wasn't a practice used very often to invoke the Federal Marshal Act, but it was fully legal to do so at that time by the Trooper and Alaska was the only State to ever have that privilege.

I just don't know if that is in fact still done with the Troopers or to what level they merit it's use.

Maybe stiffnecked can shed some light on what is current?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:23 PM

26 posts, read 49,028 times
Troopers no longer have federal powers. You can take that to the bank.

As for Admiralty Island AST has jurisdiction all over the Island, and the US Forest Service also has proprietary jurisdiction within the Forest/Monument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or