Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:28 AM

16 posts, read 111,225 times

Advertisements

Hello all, can anyone tell me about the alaskan state troopers? I am submitting an application to get into the troopers academy in february. I currently live In North Carolina, but am considering a move. My wife is a teacher, so she would have good opportunity in alaska and the pay for troopers is great. Please tell me of anything you know about it. I don't know much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 01:37 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
If they do hire you on, you usually won't work where you want to, you will work where they need you. First time hires normally start in what they call "Detachment C." This is anywhere along the coast from Kodiak all the way to Barrow. Detachment B, and E are on the road system. This is where everyone usually wants to work. Good luck!

Division of Alaska State Troopers - Home

Old 07-20-2009, 07:20 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
This issue is currently being discussed over on Officer.com. Warpt was mainly spot on. I'm retired from AST and the only differences I've seen is that new recruits usually get assigned to the larger locals like Anchorage, Fairbanks, Wasilla, etc during the FTO phase of training. Then after that they usually get shipped of to their next assignment. It all depends on the needs of the Troopers.

AST February 2010 Academy - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

Old 07-20-2009, 12:11 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,914,505 times
I'm currently living on Admiralty Island which is a National Monument. Who has jurisdiction here, AST or Park Rangers?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:25 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,406 times
Ok, first off... where were you guys 3 years ago when I was looking for a police forum? When I finally find THAT forum, you post a link to it. What the...

Robocop, are you the same Robocop as on the Officer.forum? (If I may ask?)

And, btw, what is FTO? They keep talking about that on officer.com, and I think I know what it is about, but not what it actually means. Any help?

What is the pay for a trooper in Alaska? Does it depend on where you're stationed, or is pay based on "normal" criterias?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:44 PM

After you graduate from the trooper academy you are assigned to work with a senior trooper who has the title of Field Training Officer. I'm not sure on the current timeline but I think you work with him for 12 to 18 weeks. He is there to evaluate and critique everything you do. Positive and negative. Once you pass the FTO you are then released to work on your own.

There should be a link on the AST website for recuriting. They can tell you what the current pay scales are.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
I'm currently living on Admiralty Island which is a National Monument. Who has jurisdiction here, AST or Park Rangers?
Interesting question. Not all of the island is considered a National Monument. If I read it correctly 90% is owned by the federal government and the rest appears to be owned by different native corporations. Interesting article in SitNews earlier in the year about some wildlife crimes there. Looks like the federal government was the ones in charge.

SitNews: TWO JUNEAU GUIDES SENTENCED IN FEDERAL COURT FOR WILDLIFE CRIMES

Old 07-20-2009, 12:56 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Assuming you're in Angoon, probably the state. The city limits are excluded from the monument's boundaries.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:27 PM

Doesn't Angoon still have their own police department?

Old 07-20-2009, 01:33 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Doesn't Angoon still have their own police department?
The An-Goon-Squad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska