Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:51 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times

Advertisements

I've been told by three of my friends that they want to visit Alaska after watching the movie "The Proposal" which is currently in theaters. Apparently, the movie is supposed to take place in Sitka and they tell me how beautiful it looks and how it inspires them to make the long trip out here. However, the movie was filmed in Rockport, MA (Cape Cod area). I don't want to crush their hearts and tell them that lol.

Anyone see the movie? I haven't so I have no idea how they are portraying Alaska lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 04:55 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
Nope haven't seen the movie but I've seen plenty of pictures of Alaska on the travel station and and Alaska definitely looks like a place I'd like to visit someday

Old 07-20-2009, 05:53 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
No not specifically but people talk about moving to WA because of the movie Twilight that was filmed in BC and Oregon... not Forks, WA
gotta tell them there is nothing for work there and it rains more than any where in USA but Kauai....

Old 07-20-2009, 11:38 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
I saw the movie and while the town could pass for an Alaskan town, it was nothing like Sitka. First off, you won't find some of the boats they used here. They were more reminiscent of the pleasure boats you'd find in the New England area, which made sense after seeing where it was filmed.

Actually, the first incorrect thing was they had was flying to Sitka. Alaska Air flies into Sitka, so while you usually have to fly into Juneau first, you don't have to switch to a smaller prop plane. That's not to say you won't see flights similar to the movie. I've flown to small communities and remember a bunch of chicks on the plane. There must have been 3 dozen and they peeped through the whole flight. I've also flown next to cargo stacked on the seat next to me.

My impression of Sitka is that it is as beautiful, if not more beautiful than the place in the movie. While it's not anything like the town in the movie, it does have it's own charm and breath-taking scenery. I don't think your friends will be disappointed in what they see in Sitks, but they will be disappointed that it doesn't look like the movie.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:49 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
However, the movie was filmed in Rockport, MA (Cape Cod area). I don't want to crush their hearts and tell them that lol.
Since it says as much in the ending credits, if they can't figure it out themselves then there's probably not much you can say to make a difference anyway. Honestly, you could probably shoot a movie in the Mojave Desert and tell people it was filmed in Alaska, and many would still believe it!

Old 07-20-2009, 02:27 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
So...is the movie any good?

Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
My wife liked it. I mainly went for the popcorn.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:54 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
It's probably the best romantic comedy made so far this year. I liked it and the wife went to see it twice. For me, part of the comedy was seeing what they got right about Alaska (Alaskan Amber Xtra-Tuffs), and what they got wrong (someone reported lobster pots, but I missed it).

Old 09-26-2009, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,927 times
Actually Rockport is not in the Cape Cod area, it is in Cape Ann. Cape Ann is about 45minutes North East of Boston. Although, if you think of Rockport as near Cape Cod vs near Alaska, you are correct! ha, ha Cape Cod is a couple hours away from us.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:36 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
I've never seen that movie but I've been to Rockport many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska