Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:06 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Because women from the Ukraine want a green card, and so they are willing to put up with anything to get it....

Yes and the men may think that foreign brides are more subservient and easily controlled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 09:24 PM

693 posts, read 1,605,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Yes and the men may think that foreign brides are more subservient and easily controlled.
I think it's sort of like a contractual arrangement...like the poster before you said, they want a green card (and I would add financial security), and on the man's side they want someone who they think believe be very traditional and take care of their needs with no fuss.

Having lived overseas (particularly in Asia), I know loads of men who marry local gals, and even *they* admit that it's based more on this concept of a contract than romance/love. And for many of them it works and creates a happy relationship (but I have seen some very unhappy situations too, just like with a "love match"). I'm not saying it's always like that, but is often the case.

I can't imagine the mail order scenario, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:26 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,286,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
On the other side of the coin, I have a good friend who grew up in Indonesia and Singapore and while he was in the US for school he really wanted to date an American girl because they were supposed to be more assertive.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:58 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,023 times
I'll stick to American women; there are plenty of good ones out there. For every dolled up stick figure, dressed to the nines and looking for a venture capitalist, there are dozens of down to earth ladies with actual curves and personality. That's not to say that I wouldn't be a little nervous about ending up in Alaska as a single guy- the numbers thing is a bit disconcerting- but I think there's always a way to connect with someone similar in age and experience. I prefer reminiscing about growing up as a child of the 70's in the USA with someone who can relate, not trying to find common ground with some hot Russian gal 15 years my junior who's desperate to flee a land where the men are falling down drunk and the economy is in an absolute shambles.

This isn't to say that I would rule out marrying a Russian woman- I wouldn't- but the odds of such are slim to none as it would have to be a happenchance meeting at the grocery store, not some pre-arranged trip to a faraway land trying to buy my way to love and happiness. I mean no disrespect to those who have done it, to each their own, but it certainly isn't for me.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:50 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
I'll stick to American women; there are plenty of good ones out there. For every dolled up stick figure, dressed to the nines and looking for a venture capitalist, there are dozens of down to earth ladies with actual curves and personality. That's not to say that I wouldn't be a little nervous about ending up in Alaska as a single guy- the numbers thing is a bit disconcerting- but I think there's always a way to connect with someone similar in age and experience. I prefer reminiscing about growing up as a child of the 70's in the USA with someone who can relate, not trying to find common ground with some hot Russian gal 15 years my junior who's desperate to flee a land where the men are falling down drunk and the economy is in an absolute shambles.

This isn't to say that I would rule out marrying a Russian woman- I wouldn't- but the odds of such are slim to none as it would have to be a happenchance meeting at the grocery store, not some pre-arranged trip to a faraway land trying to buy my way to love and happiness. I mean no disrespect to those who have done it, to each their own, but it certainly isn't for me.
Hopefully if you met someone in Alaska who liked it here you wouldn't have to worry about her wanting to leave the state, compared to meeting someone down there who thinks they want to try Alaska and then coming up here and hating it. You sound like you have a very good attitude!

Old 11-09-2010, 11:42 PM

693 posts, read 1,605,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post

Repped ya on that one. Being abroad, I'm so used to American men bashing American women. Gets tiresome.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:50 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,902,588 times
I think the numbers have changed a bit. Population now is about even with 51% female and 49% male.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:01 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,361,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Anyone know somebody who went this route? How did it end up for them? In general, is importing brides on the radar in Alaska? I personally don't know anyone that had done it around my parts here.

Just curious. I googled ukraine brides because I was board and many of the success stories are coming straight from Alaska.

Also, know anyone that may have imported from the states/canada via Alaska Men Magazine?

I guess the question is, how far are the guys going to find love in those parts? i saw a tv show about a year ago, that many come down to seattle looking for someone to take back north.
wireclub.com you might want to try out. it's free and it's like facebook and or myspace. they have profiles of women you can get into contact right away. the best part is that you can send messages to get to know each other.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:28 PM

437 posts, read 815,476 times
I'm curious, what's wrong with POF?

Old 11-11-2010, 12:00 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,902,588 times
Yahoo also has a dating site that shoots you to something like Match.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska