U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 01:13 AM

124 posts, read 233,899 times
Wink Cheapest way to Juneau from the lower 48

My wife and I live in eastern Idaho and plan to go to Juneau in June '07. We can't decide if we should drive, ride the ferry, or fly. Any advice? Is this even possible for less than $1000? I hope so. I've wanted to go to Alaska since I was in 5th grade and did my state report on AK.

Does border control require a passport if you're driving to Alaska?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 01:33 AM

366 posts, read 18,208 times
No passport until 2008, but if you've got any convictions it could be a huge hassle getting through.

You can't drive to Juneau. The closest you can get is Prince Rupert, Canada, and then get on the ferry.

The cheapest way to get here is to go as walk ons on the ferry in Bellingham Washington. I don't have the Alaska Marine Highway link handy or I'd post it for you--if someone hasn't done so by sometime tomorrow I'll find it.

do you want to bring your car? That can be expensive and you'll need reservations and it may even be too late to get them. Since you're considering flying...that means you can do without a car. Probably be a lot cheaper to take the ferry without a car and then rent one for the days you want to use one. There's not a lot of places to drive around there anyway.

Probably too late to get a stateroom on the ferry unless there are cancellations but a lot of people just bring sleeping bags. The ferry trip can be great that time of year.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:37 AM

14,837 posts, read 24,438,754 times
The local paper: http://www.juneauempire.com/
Another link: http://www.juneaualaska.com/
The marine highway: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.html (broken link)

Old 04-22-2007, 11:50 AM

Wow, thanks!

Old 04-22-2007, 11:54 PM

I wish it costed less to get to Alaska. boo friggin hoo

Old 04-23-2007, 09:12 AM

I've heard of people hitchhiking to Alaska!

Old 04-23-2007, 01:39 PM

25 posts, read 93,324 times
Default fly

My hubby is 'homesick' for Prince of Wales Island. Last summer, we had a 3 week adventure taking the whole family there. After looking at the prices for everything, we decided to drive through Canada to Prince Rupert, then take the state ferry to Ketchikan, then the smaller ferry to Prince of Wales.

Although the drive was beyond gorgeous, I don't feel the need to ever do it again. It was a little too much cooped up 'family togetherness', if you catch my drift.

I'm a HUGE fan of cruises, and although the ferry was a fun way to go, if you compare prices of getting from Washington up to Ketchikan, I'd rather just pay for a genuine cruise. Meals and beds are included in their price. The state ferry doesn't include anything and is getting more pricey by the year. Although the mini-classes that the Forest Service put on were really interesting. Don't get me wrong, the ferry was great. My husband used to get up there from Seattle, but was shocked at how much it costs now. That's why I'd just do the big line cruise that includes everything.

So our next trip up, we'll be flying. That's my recommendation to people. And if the girls really want to go up by boat again, then I'll just purchase a one way cruise from Seattle and have a room and food that doesn't break the bank.

Bottom line, our honest opinion is it doesn't matter how you get to southeast Alaska, just get there!

Old 04-23-2007, 10:02 PM

We had been doing some shopping around, and were surprised to find that a cruise [i]was[i] in fact in the same price range as traveling to alaska by any other means. And it is appealing that the beds and food are included. When you consider that, a cruise is actually cheaper.

The only problem I have with cruises is freedom. The cheapest route other than a cruise that I have found is to drive to prince rupert (about 1600 miles from SE Idaho) and catch a ferry to juneau. The ferry from prince rupert to juneau is $160 vs $360 from Bermingham. But with fuel costs and everything else, it's hard not to just pay for a cruise and do it the easy, comfy way. Even if it is limiting.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:23 PM

Or fly to Anchorage, take the train south to Seward. Jump on a ship in Seward, make like 5 stops for 7 or 8 hours each in different coastal towns. Down to Vancuver maybe. Then fly home?

Old 04-24-2007, 12:37 AM

395 posts, read 1,090,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I've heard of people hitchhiking to Alaska!
No, try biking. Think of the exercise!! And think of the money U will save! It is much more scenic when U are going slow and it is faster than walking. 4 years ago on my way back, I've met young man at one of the stops on the Alaskan Hiway below Watson Lake also on his way back from Mt Mckinley in Dinali. He was heading home to Seattle, WA. The last time I've heard, he was pedaling from Seattle to Guatemala. But seriously, I think flying is faster and, in one sense, the cheapest way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska