Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:38 PM

5 posts, read 10,234 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I am a new member of this site, but I have been reading peoples' helpful blogs for a while now, and it is nice to get so many views on different topics...I am just hoping I can get some of the same help with my dilemma...
I am from NC and am wanting to move somewhere where I can really enjoy the outdoors. I am a 24 year old single female and I love hiking, running, animals, beautiful scenery, and friendly people.. I have traveled to both Hawaii and Alaska for short periods of time, and I decided that I wanted to get out of NC to finish up my school, and I wanted to go to one of these places to finish my undergrad(im a transfer student). I have been accepted at the University of Hawaii-Hilo and UAA. Now comes the hard part of deciding which one to go to!!
I know there are pros and cons to both places, but I'd love to get opinions from ppl that have lived or traveled these places for extended periods of time, that can help me! I feel like Alaska would have more of a variety of outdoor activities for me to do than Hawaii. It is soo nice in Hawaii, but I have a feeling I might feel "stuck" there, just having the beaches/volcanoes to hike and see... And I wonder if it would be hard for me to adjust to the shorter days in winter and the cold!!
Any input would be awesome!!
Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 09:47 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Come to Alaska...

Old 08-03-2009, 07:04 AM

I am planning on moving to alaska in the middle of December for the spring semester..Do you think that will be too hard of a transition for me to move there in the middle of winter? Also...What are some safe areas close to UAA...I do not know where the safer areas of town are in close proximity to the school!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:05 AM

202 posts, read 821,007 times
Default How much cold can you tolerate?

It all depends on your cold tolerance. If you can't bear a NC winter, you would be toast in Alaska. If you're OK, then I would choose UAA. First off, you would be in school during the winter and are supposed to be studying. When I went to UHawaii I tended to miss class when the waves were good. Secondly, Hawaii is in a severe budget crisis and Alaska is not. You will see that show up in your overall school experience. UAA will have newer and more. And, I'm pretty sure Hilo doesn't have a bus system, Anchorage does. Hilo is laid back and there aren't a lot of city activities. Anchorage is pretty vibrant. Hilo is not necessarily too friendly. You'll have lots of resident students as it's more of a junior college and they may be less open to outsiders. I find Alaskans, including myself, quite friendly.
One caveat is if you aren't planning on spending the summer, forget Alaska. We pretty much pay our dues through cold, dark winters for the brief but glorious Alaskan summer.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:50 PM

I have no problems with the winters here and have lived in the Appalachian mountains here with no problems. I have heard the same things about UH, which has made me steer towards Alaska instead! I do well in cities where I can participate in what they have to offer ( activities etc) and have the opportunity to meet people! And of course, I am VERY much looking forward to the summers!! I am very excited actually! It seems as if Alaska has so much to offer someone that I am hoping that I fall in love with the state and never have to come back to the heat, humidity, and traffic of Raleigh NC!!
Thanks for the help!!

Old 08-03-2009, 02:01 PM

219 posts, read 570,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eahorseluvr View Post
I have no problems with the winters here and have lived in the Appalachian mountains here with no problems. I have heard the same things about UH, which has made me steer towards Alaska instead! I do well in cities where I can participate in what they have to offer ( activities etc) and have the opportunity to meet people! And of course, I am VERY much looking forward to the summers!! I am very excited actually! It seems as if Alaska has so much to offer someone that I am hoping that I fall in love with the state and never have to come back to the heat, humidity, and traffic of Raleigh NC!!
Thanks for the help!!
Having to sample a REAL winter might open your eyes a bit.
And keep in mind that Alaska offers long summer days and LONG winter nights.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:12 PM

Yea..I havent only lived in NC for my whole life...and Ive been doing my research and I can imagine that it will be a bit different..but Im more than willing to give it a shot and hopefully it will all work out!

Old 08-04-2009, 02:43 AM

11 posts, read 53,617 times
Do you go to N.C. State? I'm probably going to be going to college there in 2010 and I hope to follow in your footsteps in moving to Alaska. I can't stand these North Carolina summers! Winters are comfortable, but I could definitely use more cold and snow.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:35 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Hawaii was practically my second home when I was growing up. Hawaii does offer allot of hiking opportunities. There are many books about some of the more unexplored trails away from the tourists. But of course, the main activity there is the Beach/Surfer scene. If you are the type that can hang out at the beach day after day, Hawaii is your place. Hawaii also has much more varied culinary choices. Everything from world class 5 star restaurants that cater to the tourists to the thousands of local, mom & pop saimin shops.

Alaska offers a more rugged/frontier experience, with much more territory to explore. And of course you have distinct seasons. If you enjoy both summer and winter activities, Alaska may suit you better.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:06 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
If you enjoy both summer and winter activities, Alaska may suit you better.
Sometimes in the same day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: