U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-24-2007, 04:01 AM

2 posts, read 12,656 times
Default Nursing in Alaska

I am seriously thinking about moving to Alaska. It has always been a dream of mine as I love the outdoor life, especially hunting and fishing I have never been to Alaska, but feel I would like it could anybody give me some information on nursing in Alaska, such as the availability of jobs and what is the pay rate for a registered nurse. I was told that some of the more remote logging and mining camps are flying fly out does anybody know if they have nurses. And what the pay rate is in one of these camps.

Before becoming a nurse. I worked as a commercial diver in the oil industry for about 10 years or so working as a part of a small team is not new to me. At present I live in Australia, so I would have to get my Alaskan nursing qualification so if anybody can help me with websites. It would be a great help thanks a lot Karl.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 09:52 AM

14,872 posts, read 24,713,208 times
May be something in here: http://www.jobs.state.ak.us/

Old 04-25-2007, 02:33 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,996,257 times
Default try Juneau and Kodiak

If you are an RN you should have no problem finding a job in AK, especially as a traveller. Juneau and Kodiak are always advertising for nursing positions, for example. Try looking in the classifieds section of the Anchorage Daily News, particularly on the Sunday edition. They've got almost everything online, you have to register after the first couple pages but its free. I've also seen help-wanted ads for nurses in the back of the Alaska magazine almost every issue.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 28,268 times
Just whatever you do don't go to Barrow- worst hospital ever

Old 12-18-2008, 03:23 PM

373 posts, read 696,618 times
There are jobs available all over the state. As for pay, it really depends on where you go, how much experience you have, and what you are doing. The average wage on the State web site is $24-28. That is a pretty big range, so it really depends. Check out the State web site listed above or search for Alaska Board of Nursing and you will get what you need for getting licensed. It sounds like you would probably love Alaska!

Old 12-18-2008, 04:29 PM

13 posts, read 32,558 times
Alaska Division of Corporations, Business, and Professional Licensing
this is the website for the rn license by endorsement.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 8,210 times
I would like to talk to nurses who have done contract nursing in AK. I am thinking about a 13 wk. summer job there.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:39 AM

5 posts, read 10,521 times
Default Florida RN

I'm a travel nurse on my first assignment. I've been here 1 month. I am at Cordova Medical Center Clinic and I have to say it is absolutely beautiful. It is like a hidden town. Cordova Alaska really only has two main roads. It has one taxi service that only runs from 3pm-4am Monday- Saturday. No buses. So if you want to plan on something and don't want to walk, you have to plan your way around the taxi service. The Alaskan Hotel has a special right now that is $50-$75 a night depending if you want your own bathroom and want a tv. These prices are goo until March. If you're here during the winter you'll need knee high boots with good tread and pull on cleats over your shoes are given to you at the hospital if you work for them. You'll also need rain gear summer or winter because it rains here a lot. You will also need a scarf for your neck and face, as well as a ski cap and mask, and don't forget to bring 2-3 pair of gloves and a heavy duty coat.Cordova also only has two grocery stores. One is the AC store and the other one is called the Nichols Backdoor Store. Food and drink are really expensive here because it has to be flown in or come on a barge. Food is almost double what you have to pay anywhere else. The locals around here will get on the Alaska Marine Highway site online and find out when the ferry, "Fairweather", will be running. The prices are on the site as well. People usually go to Anchorage Alaska around 2 times a year and stock up for 6 months at a time. I got here on Nov. 17. So far I have seen 2 sea otters, black birds, ravens, sea gulls, and an eagle. I'm suppose to leave February 17 so I'm hoping to see other Alaskan wildlife. Travel nurses have to walk to work and in the winter it can be very harsh even here, because of the hard winds, and rain, ice, and slush. So you coming in the summer might be ideal. The phone number for the taxi is 907-253-5151. It's dark here a lot during the time that I'm here over the winter. The hospital right now has 10 residents FOR long term care. We have two emergency rooms. Anything that requires a CAT scan has to be medivac out of here. Maternity patients have to go to Anchorage 3 weeks before their due date. We do have the capability of delivering a baby but we don't have a surgeon here. I'm from Northwest Florida and I'm in awe of the beautiful snow, and snow covered mountains. The hospital gives you a nice furnished apartment, with pots, pans, bowls, plates, silverware, towels, wash clothes, broom, vacuum cleaner. You will have cable tv, wireless internet, dishwasher, garbage disposal, free utilities, and free garbage service, free telephone. ATT phone service works up here and so does Verizon. Teen Mobile doesn't work here. This community helps each other out. It is unbelievable. I Love It Up Here. Other places may not be as desirable as this place. I'd check out Cordova Alaska during the Aummer First. Hope this helps. To get your license you simply go to Alaska Board of Nursing. The license cost $284 and the temporary license cost $50. If you call them, tell them you need two fingerprint cards which one is required but take a second one in case the sheriff's department messes the first one up. You can download the paperwork that you will have to take to your last employer to fill out.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:47 PM

1,215 posts, read 681,351 times
1st question, you say you are currently in Australia. Are you a USC ?

Old 12-18-2011, 03:12 PM

6,316 posts, read 4,740,204 times
Are you licensed in a state of the United States or a you licensed in Australia? There will be more requirements perhaps to practice in a U.S. state. Contact the Alaska Board of Registered Nursing for either.

Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska