U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 02:22 PM

222 posts, read 773,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghkid View Post
Hold on a second, I was saying meat market with sarcasim
Sorry but sarcasim is no way to enter a message board BEFORE people get to know you and you know them. As of this date you have a total of 2 posts which means nobody really knows who you are. Some of us that have been around a while, have a few posts under our belts, and get to know the personalities of the folks around here can get away with a little sarcasim in fun and when we do we use emoticons to indicate that it was a tongue-in-cheek comment. And even I wouldn't use the term "meat market" the way you did even if I knew the women a very long time, I still have more respect than that for females.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 03:02 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,066,190 times
Default women in Anchorage

My info may be a little dated, but in Anchorage I think the women to men ration is actually reversed from the rest of the state. When I was working at one of the hospitals there a lot of the female nurses said that they had a hard time meeting enough guys they liked. Could have been that they were a picky bunch, but then, maybe not! Certainly plenty of places in ANC to meet someone, the bar scene being just one option.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:03 AM

115 posts, read 485,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy View Post
Don't forget to thank the girls too.
And the ladies willing to speak up!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:09 PM

25,085 posts, read 8,889,838 times
I am not in Alaska yet, so I am not sure how qulified I am to speak but I am going to anyway. There is no way to mess up the meaning of "meat market" and "I have needs"- U are selfish and there is no misunderstanding. Maybe you should get a little more college before you began your adventure...it sounds like you have a lot more to learn. I used small words for a small stupid remark. I hope you get me! Respectfully speaking of course.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:55 PM

957 posts, read 1,573,236 times
Default KTN is a bit scary

Pittsburgh...
Yeah, I didn't really like the "meat market" comment either, but that aside;
your "needs" can get you in real trouble, anywhere of course, but Ketchikan specifically is kind of a "melting pot" for all the transitory types that move in, out and through AK. Read a scary stat somewhere about the STD's there...I wouldn't go tom-catting around too carelessly.

But some people have that attitude...I don't think you are going to meet a quality person in some dingy bar or nightclub (been there, done that, in my younger and dumber days...never ended positively). If you're an outdoor person, maybe you'll meet a cool person kayaking, hunting, or fishing. I have met a few such folks..some were not so cool, but most were respectful. Most of them are friends or mere acquaintances, but there were romantic potentials with a couple. Good luck!

Old 04-26-2007, 03:38 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,203,723 times
I bet he goes blind before he even makes it up here....

Old 04-26-2007, 03:56 PM

957 posts, read 1,573,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
HEHEHEHE....*grin*

Old 04-26-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
http://home.gci.net/~nsdjoubert/Smileys/roflbig.gif (broken link)http://home.gci.net/~nsdjoubert/Smileys/roflbig.gif (broken link)http://home.gci.net/~nsdjoubert/Smileys/roflbig.gif (broken link)http://home.gci.net/~nsdjoubert/Smileys/roflbig.gif (broken link)http://home.gci.net/~nsdjoubert/Smileys/roflbig.gif (broken link)http://home.gci.net/~nsdjoubert/Smileys/roflbig.gif (broken link)

Old 04-30-2007, 01:48 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,646,506 times
Now, now, by brethren and sistren. The man apologized. It might not have been the tone to take as a newcomer to the board, but I've made mistakes here too, and you forgave me for them and quite nicely too.

Pittsburgh, the folks here are generally great folks. But, in general, we tend to note our sarcasm as such for the folks who don't know us all that well. I tend to use a more self deprecating form of humor, because when I poke a little at myself, folks know I can laugh at the vagaries of life without hurting anyone else's sensabilities.

Just an aside here.

Ketchikan has a large migrant population, and the seasonal folks tend to have hard and long hours. Locals tend to be a little more clannish in tourist season, as the large influx of tourists tends to overwhelm the town in summer. As you get a couple of acquaintences, they may introduce you to the local society at large if they feel you can contribute as a worthwhile sort of guy. Move slow, and feel your way into friendship there.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Now, now, by brethren and sistren. The man apologized. It might not have been the tone to take as a newcomer to the board, but I've made mistakes here too, and you forgave me for them and quite nicely too...
Betya he also smiled at the 'going blind' thing... Come on! Admit it! There was a hint of a smile there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska