U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 08:53 PM

305 posts, read 548,704 times

Advertisements

It's been McKinley ever since I can remember or paid any attention. It's rock and dirt and water and ice and snow and flora and fauna. It takes up space and is Its Own entity. We get too tied up over formalities and defeat our peace with each other. Call it whatever you want - we all know what both names refer to. Pick your favorite and be happy. Does it really matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,848 times
Denali!

Old 09-25-2012, 07:58 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,134,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
I'm not native but I find it insulting that it's been officially re-named McKinley. It has no business being named after a white man in the first place, especially one not from Alaska. The native name Denali has a much more descriptive and romantic sound to it. It's always been Denali for me and that's what it'll stay.
President McKinley was the United States first African-American president according to The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliteration View Post
I thought that it had been pretty much officially recognized as Denali as of a few years ago and the government had done away with McKinley. Considering McKinley himself didn't even name the mountain after himself, it makes even less sense.
If he had named the mountain after himself - could that be why he was assasinated?

His tragic and untimely demise, and that he is associated with the mountain are why we are talking about him 109 years later. Nothing against President McKinley(if I had been around then - he would have got my vote) but when one thinks about great U.S. presidents - McKinley doesn't automatically come to mind.

Neither does Obama, for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
We could always call it the Denali McKinley (the great McKinley).

Last edited by Harrier; 09-25-2012 at 08:25 PM..

Old 09-25-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Lake Lucille in Wasilla was renamed by some white dudes in Alaska because of the popularity of Lucille Ball in that particular area. It was originally named Lake Glitchi Gummi by Athabaskan Indians in honor of the first lower/lesser 48er to establish roots in the Mat-Su Valley.

I doubt many Alaskans are aware of that because most Alaskans aren't Alaskans; they're transplants from the lower 48. I'm not, my roots are firmly planted in the most intelligent and diverse country in the world: Poland. That's why I know about the above.
Does this mean that Lake Lucille can be renamed Lake Sarah?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidelines View Post
Does it really matter?
Yes.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:43 PM

305 posts, read 548,704 times
It doesn't matter to me what you call it. It's just a name. I live here, have all my life, and it's never mattered to me what anyone called a slough in Petersburg, a glacier on a pass, or the mountain in the middle of the state. To others, it might matter if they're referred to as black or African American, Indian or Native, Ma or Mother, truck or Dodge. It's a way to recognize something and as far as I'm concerned it can be called carrot and it won't change a thing. There are a whole lot more important things in life that matter without worrying about a name so, to me, it doesn't matter one whit.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 PM

"Carrot" might be met with more acceptnce than "Mt. McKinley.

The Mountain should be officially named - Denali.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:29 PM

16,171 posts, read 27,428,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
"Carrot" might be met with more acceptnce than "Mt. McKinley.

The Mountain should be officially named - Denali.
It makes no difference what it is called. Can you imagine all the names Alaska would have to change? River names, road names, mountain names, street names, town names...

Then somebody would probably want reparations or something, or just kicking out of Alaska everyone except for AK Natives, and distributing the whole State to Alaska Natives Just kidding!

Old 09-26-2012, 08:40 AM

21,358 posts, read 32,304,943 times
Mt. Warpt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska