Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:06 AM

7 posts, read 16,837 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone -- I have enjoyed reading posts on this forum for a few months now and have learned a lot.
My wife accepted a job in a clinic in Homer, Ak and we are moving up from Dallas, Tx. I bought a old 24 foot Diesel stick shift U haul moving truck and will be driving up this coming Monday August 17th towing a car dolly with an SUV on it.
I have driven the highway before in a car, but it has been almost 10 years. Last time I drove up through Calgary and through banff and lake louise to Dawson Creek and on. Is it better to go through Edmonton? I am hoping to take the most direct route that avoids the most mountain passes and roads difficult for big trucks.
Any advise on the route and what I should avoid (especially Warptman)?
It is just my Dad and I and we are thinking of camping out some of the way and maybe doing some fishing. Any good places we should stop?
We will probably do 10 - 16 hour days. Any sample itinerary's would be welcome. I hope this topic is not too worn out. Thanks

Daniel
BTW I do have a copy of Milepost 2009 and am trying to sort through all the info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
fromallas Texas to:HWY 60 to:55.373648,-118.77182 to:Anchorage alaska - Google Maps

Don't take the Uhaul into Banff Park, lots of climbs there. From Calgary just head north to Edmonton. When you get past the International Airport, hang a left through the trucking route to Devon and head north to Highway 16 and hang a left. When you get to Highway 43 hang a right and head northwest to Grand Prairie. Don't take the route through GP, hang a right on Highway 2 North up to Sexsmith and take a left on 59 until you hit 43 again. The route through Grand Prairie is crazy, lots of traffic and dumb drivers. From there it's easy and only one road to follow.

Your Gateway to the Circumpolar North - ExploreNorth

Drive BC

Canada and United States Travel - Highway and Road Conditions, Weather, Airports, Ferries, Traffic and Transit

Current Road Conditions - Highways and Public Works - Government of Yukon

Alaska Road Traveler Information Service

Old 08-10-2009, 10:23 AM

If you are into old airplanes, this is a must see. It's south of Calgary and you will drive right by it.

Nanton Lancaster Society Air Museum

Old 08-10-2009, 10:51 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbunker View Post
Any advise on the route and what I should avoid (especially Warptman)?

You don't have to avoid Warptman. He's a pretty cool guy.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:01 AM

Warptman, thanks for the advise and the links. Ketabcha -- LOL, glad he didn't take it that way. He gives great driving advise.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:06 AM

You are welcome! I'm up to my 15th trip this year and ready for more!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:33 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbunker View Post
Warptman, thanks for the advise and the links. Ketabcha -- LOL, glad he didn't take it that way. He gives great driving advise.

LOL. We all knew what you meant. I just couldn't resist.

Have a safe trip.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 PM

244 posts, read 486,108 times
I recently went up in a 17ft. U-Hual without a trailer and after the craziness of the Calgary freeways i jogged around Edmonton and it was actually a pretty nice stretch of road to take. Went 39 west to 22 north and caught up with the 43 just out of whitecourt. Ate lunch in drayton valley and my brother and his daughter were very happy to hear the waitress say "ehh" and "holy Hannah". They felt they experienced Canada after that.
Of course Calgary was crazy because i had two vehicles trying to follow me, if alone maybe straighter is better but it was a pretty drive through farmland with good speeds and no traffic.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:56 AM

socal4now, Thanks for the info. Good to know that someone else made it recently in a U-Haul. Depending when we hit Edmonton, I might just take the detour.

So far, I think we will do
Day 1- Dallas to Denver
Day 2 -Denver to Great Falls or just over the border
Day 3 Just over the border to Whitecourt area
I think we will see how it goes from there.
Are there good cheap places to tent camp on the way? Do you know how much state park camping is and if you have to have cash to pay for camping in Alberta and BC?

What is the best time to go through the border with a big moving truck?
DO I need to have a itemized list of everything?
Any border expediting suggestions?
What are the best places to eat and stop and those to avoid?
There was one stretch of road someone suggested never driving at night?

I think there are similar threads. If this it too much to ask could someone send me a link to the thread with most of this info. Thanks. Can't wait to get up to Alaska.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:19 AM

Camping is fun, but you are moving to Alaska and driving up, too. Nothing beats a bed and a hot shower in the morning after driving all day long. You do have your passport, right? You will need this to get across the border fastest. Might want to itemize what you have loaded in the uhaul.

Alberta Campgrounds: Camping in Alberta, Canada

British Columbia Campgrounds - Super Camping British Columbia

Yukon Territory Campgrounds and RV Parks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska