Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2007, 01:48 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,963 times

Advertisements

OK...OK...I KNOW that Whitehorse is in Canada and this is an AK forum, but...

We're traveling to Haines in June for a job interview, been trying to talk with folks there about how daily life works thereabouts. I know that the local stores there are pretty much all the "mom n pop" variety and you gotta support them if you want them to be there tomorrow...but....

The other thing that I've been hearing is that folks thereabouts buy some of their bulk items in Whitehorse. Its been a couple of years since I drove down the AlCan and as I remember, Haines junction is pretty much a stopsign and a gas station. I'm having trouble remembering anything at all about Whitehorse, except for the fact that its a LONG way from Haines for a shopping trip. Wouldn't it be easier just to take the ferry to Juneau? A couple of years ago the currency exchange rate would have been in my favor but its pretty much equal now from what I see. Does Customs give you a hard time with meat and such (mad cows and all)?

Any information on daily life in Haines would be much appreciated. I've got Heather Lendes book on reserve at the library here, waiting for someone to return it. Been reading her columns on the ADN site, etc. Sure would like to talk to anyone that lives there, especially someone else with young kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 06:02 PM

395 posts, read 1,717,047 times
Hey Rotorhead, Looks like I am going to beat you there. Though my April date have slipped, I've planned to be in Haines by the end of May. I am not sure whether to pull my newer car or bring my old RAV4 junker and sell it there before coming back down. From what I've gathered from some of the other threads, selling it down here may be the better route to go. G.L. in Haines

Old 04-23-2007, 09:22 PM

395 posts, read 1,717,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
OK...OK...I KNOW that Whitehorse is in Canada and this is an AK forum, but...

We're traveling to Haines in June for a job interview, been trying to talk with folks there about how daily life works thereabouts. I know that the local stores there are pretty much all the "mom n pop" variety and you gotta support them if you want them to be there tomorrow...but....

The other thing that I've been hearing is that folks thereabouts buy some of their bulk items in Whitehorse. Its been a couple of years since I drove down the AlCan and as I remember, Haines junction is pretty much a stopsign and a gas station. I'm having trouble remembering anything at all about Whitehorse, except for the fact that its a LONG way from Haines for a shopping trip. Wouldn't it be easier just to take the ferry to Juneau? A couple of years ago the currency exchange rate would have been in my favor but its pretty much equal now from what I see. Does Customs give you a hard time with meat and such (mad cows and all)?

Any information on daily life in Haines would be much appreciated. I've got Heather Lendes book on reserve at the library here, waiting for someone to return it. Been reading her columns on the ADN site, etc. Sure would like to talk to anyone that lives there, especially someone else with young kids.
Hi R, Even though I am not an Alaskan yet, I can give U some info. Tho I've found the U.S. border crossing much more lax from WH to Haines the 3 times I've crossed, than from Canada to the lower 48 (About 2 years ago on the East Coast coming in from Montreal they confiscated everything that even list a smigen of beef. I was assured by the border people going up from Maine thru to Quebec that package frozen food w/beef was OK. So we shopped heavily before coming dn. What a mistake!!) So, it seems, best to check and recheck w/them each time U are planning to shop in WH. The locals will be able to tell U better. Hopefully, they will spot your thread. Now to the travel. It cost U about 250 to 300 Amercan rt to Juneau w/a car and 2 people. It is 2 1/2 or 4 1/2 hours one way depending whether U take the slow or fast ferry. But, in reality U need to get in line at least 1 hour ahead and it may or may not be daily for one or the other. It is about 135 miles or 4 1/2 hrs one way to WH. In either case, it is expensive. Maybe U should shop locally except for big items which is what I plan to do. At least, then the locals will no U. Then U no nothing will be confiscated or the necessity to wait for the "bus" which may leave at midnite. (A little bit of exaggeration, of course)

Old 04-25-2007, 03:07 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,963 times
Default thanks for the help

Thanks for the replies. Still hoping to track down the member who posts here from Haines. Are you out there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska