Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:19 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBullard View Post
I am planning a trip To Alaska from Texas. Once there I hope to stay for several months. Im going to buy a pickup to pull my small camper trailer. I Am trying to find out if its best to have a gas or diesel engine for the trip, especially considering the cold climate, fuel availability etc.
It makes no difference, except that diesel fuel in Alaska is more expensive than gasoline. Other than that, you can buy diesel fuel in every gas station in Alaska. But I don't really know if that's the case in the AK Highway through Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 03:58 PM

886 posts, read 5,713,825 times
Quote:
Please tell me about ferry's. What does fuel type have to do with taking a ferry.
Is taking a ferry the only practical way to get around? How many ferry's are there?
Is finding a RV spot difficult, Im thinking about finding a place to make the winter.
You are not gonig to be burning fuel when you are on the ferry. If you drive up as you get further north the fuel will make the switch from #2 to #1.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:59 PM

20 posts, read 52,730 times
diesel for long trips is a heck of alot better than gas. i wouldnt go out and buy a ford diesel, but if you have bought one by now, i hope its not a 6.0L or a automatic. if i were to go out and buy a diesel it would be an dodge cummins manual. whats your budget?

Old 09-09-2009, 01:09 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
what are some of the most important things I should bring to Alaska for myself in regards to staying in a camper trailer, Vehicle maintenance, clothing, hunting, fishing,
comunications, etc..
You mentioned the "Cold", with a camper, you may have some issues. There is no dump station open in the winter unless you are plumbed into one and the camper has insulation under it to keep that from freezing. Otherwise, if you use an outhouse and don't have to use water in the camper except to cook with, you will be somewhat OK, may need some other items to get it winterized though...

Old 09-16-2009, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 10,203 times
I've heard about an "arctic package" you can get on diesels (pan warmers, etc.) Has anyone heard anything about these? Or have one? We are moving to Alaska over the winter and have both a Dodge diesel truck and a Ford diesel excursion (they both have block heaters, but nothing more than that).

Old 09-16-2009, 03:41 PM

Where are you moving to in AK? I have a Duramax In Fairbanks and I added the heaters myself. They are really easy. I also added a trickle charger to the batteries to keep them charged. All they are is heating pads that you glue on to the oil pan and the trans pan. You will also want to switch over to synthetic 5-40 oil if you have not done so already. Changing to a 75-90 gear oil in the differentials is not a bad idea either. If you need any more advise please feel free to send me a message.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon to be Alaskan View Post
I've heard about an "arctic package" you can get on diesels (pan warmers, etc.) Has anyone heard anything about these? Or have one? We are moving to Alaska over the winter and have both a Dodge diesel truck and a Ford diesel excursion (they both have block heaters, but nothing more than that).
In the interior (around Fairbanks) it gets cold, and there are AC power outlets at the apartments, hotels parking lots, as well as for employees to plug their vehicles for extended periods of time. Diesel vehicles are usually plugged when the temperature drops to 20 degrees, while most people plug the rest when much colder than that. For example, when I park my car outside my home, i don't plug it unless the temperature drops to -10 degrees or so. Otherwise the electric bill will be quite high.

This is what you need in the interior:

-Battery heater (18-25 watt heating pad from NAPA)
-Oil pan heater (another pad, but around 45 to 75 watts)
-Block heater
-A three outlet cord (if you only use three heaters)
-Arctic (blue color) extension cord with a lighted plug

Optional:
-Transmission oil pan heater
-Power steering pump heater

If you install four heaters, then you have to buy a 4-outlet electrical box with cord (blue cord) at NAPA, M&O, or any other automobile parts store. This box can be attached to the fender or any other area (away from fuel) in the engine compartment. The cord is routed out of the engine compartment out the grill. The heaters are then plugged to the outlets to this box, and the extension cord is connected to the male plug by the grill. The oil pan heater is attached to a clean oil pan with high temperature RTV silicone (orange color), while the battery pad is just placed between the battery and the tray. All the cords have to be routed away from moving parts, exhaust manifold, or fuel lines, and tied in place with plastic wire ties.

A lighted extension cord is a good idea since it shows you when the circuit breaker that controls the AC receptacle in the parking lot is/isn't tripped. About synthetic oils: a lot of people use them in Fairbanks. Since I don't have diesel vehicles, I only use synthetic gear oils, and standard engine oils in the motors.

Last edited by RayinAK; 09-17-2009 at 02:11 PM..

Old 09-17-2009, 04:36 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
The only problem I had with my deisel pickup was getting the cabin warm during the winter. I was able to increase the heat some by blocking off my front grill with some cardboard and duct tape. I eventually bought a floor heater for the pickup, which worked pretty well.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:16 PM

You can order or get your dealer to throw in a winter front on most new trucks.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The only problem I had with my diesel pickup was getting the cabin warm during the winter. I was able to increase the heat some by blocking off my front grill with some cardboard and duct tape. I eventually bought a floor heater for the pickup, which worked pretty well.
That's a good point. In the interior it takes forever to warm the cab's interior, specially extended cabs. Over in Fairbanks, one can take the truck to Alaska Tent & Tarp and have them install a removable winter front cover. This cover is made of a strong webbed vinyl material (usually black color) that covers the front grill and the ventilation holes by the bumper. The cover snaps in place, and has a zipper at the mid point that can be unzipped on slightly warmer days as shown below. The only problem I can see is that one has to leave the motor running while shopping at the supermarket or store, and some vehicles get stolen. For that reason alone, I would have a remote starter installed since the ignition key is not needed, and also because the motor will stop running if somebody tries to drive the truck in that condition.
Winter Fronts from Alaska Tent and Tarp
The cover can be removed during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska