Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:56 PM

28 posts, read 91,964 times

Advertisements

Hi

I just moved to Anchorage a little over a month ago. I am still trying to find my way around. Now that I have managed to purchase a bed and mattress set, I am in search of finding a place to buy studded snow tires since snow may be around the corner.

1. What does the law say about having 2 or 4 tires. Where I lived, it was illegal to have only 2 studded tires on. You had to buy 4.

2. Where is there a good, inexpensive and honest place to buy snow tires in Anchorage.

thanks
Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 02:13 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
The list that Warp did is pretty good, Sears sells them too.

You can also find a bunch of smaller mom and pop places that do tires.

Best thing to do it buy new rims for however many snow tires you decide to put on your car, have the tires mounted on them and then you can do the switch at home, it saves you about $60.00 each spring and fall to have them remounted/unmounted and balanced.

It is a good idea to put four snow tires on your car/truck, that way they all have the same grip for stopping and starting. If you have a 4WD/AWD, most places won't sell you just two tires, they don't want the liability of you having two tires of one size and two of another, if one set is worn smaller and you put it in 4WD two smaller tires will turn faster than the taller set causing control issues. Not a law, but more of common sense... If you have a front or rear 2WD car/truck, then it isn't as big of an issue, but having all good tread is and a rubber of the same compound (soft for cold season, and harder for summer).

Old 09-24-2009, 08:58 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeorge View Post
Hi

I just moved to Anchorage a little over a month ago. I am still trying to find my way around. Now that I have managed to purchase a bed and mattress set, I am in search of finding a place to buy studded snow tires since snow may be around the corner.

1. What does the law say about having 2 or 4 tires. Where I lived, it was illegal to have only 2 studded tires on. You had to buy 4.

2. Where is there a good, inexpensive and honest place to buy snow tires in Anchorage.

thanks
Jennifer
As mentioned in the other post above, regardless of the law, why would you even WANT to only run two studded tires? That's like saying you only want to wear half a seatbelt.

Just a few other thoughts:

I've pretty much given up buying tires (or anything other that tools for that matter) at Sears. My experience lately is that they are more interested in selling you what they happen to have at the time, rather than what you actually need or want. It's sad too since Sears is one of the last remaining American owned retailers, so I tried to support them as long as I could. However I just can't stand them any more.

Same goes for Johnson's Tire, though they are a little easier to deal with if you know exactly what you are looking for.

For tires, I've actually been pretty satisfied with Muffler City downtown on 5th & A. They are pretty knowledgeable and carry a surprisingly large inventory for such a seemingly small outfit (I think they have a pretty large warehouse near by).

If you decide to go with a separate set of steel wheels (as I do), a good place to get them in Anchorage is Six Roblees. If they don't have what you need it's unlikely you'll find it in the city.

SixRobblees

However if you plan to buy a set of studded tires and have them swapped out on your existing rims every year, some tire shops will even store your extra set over the winter/summer for a small fee. Ask around.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:44 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Alaska Tire and Rim on Dowling. They sell used tires, I got a set for my truck, practically new as far as the tread went and the studs were brand new, they were $50/piece installed. Check them out. I fthey have a used set that will work be sure to inspect the tire carefully for cracks, rubber dust on the inside and patches.... better safe than sorry. My tires have been absolutely perfect.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:53 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Buy four tires at Sam's Club, or at WalMart.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:18 AM

96 posts, read 257,045 times
It is very unsafe to use only two snow tires, studded or not. You will have more traction on the end with the winter tires, and you will lose grip and spin out. I am now using the best snow tires I have ever bought, after 22 years in Fairbanks. Studded General Altimax Arctic.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:20 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Don't waste your money on studded tires. Just run some good all season tires. That way you won't have to worry about swapping tires out twice a year. I've driven up here my whole life and have never had a problem where I thought studs were the answer. You'll find that the streets are bare most of the time during winter. Your studs will be worthless in a year or two. All those ruts you see on Anchorage streets...they were carved out by studded tires. As for running only two studded tires, no reputable shop will mount only two studded tires.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:11 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Great post there Erik. And running on 2 studded tires is a recipe for disaster. The liability issues for a tire shop will prevent them from giving you bad advice or unsuitable tires for your vehicle.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 6,473 times
Default Are we living...

Hi, AlaskaErik, are we living in the same Alaska? I first looked at your post about a month and a half ago, and have thought of your post every time I've been driving. The roads by me, in Anchorage, are often bare, if by bare you mean bare ice. When they're not icy they seem to be covered by snow. Or snow on top of ice. Is that the kind of "bare" you mean?

There seem to occasionally be bare spots, but just observationally they seem to be in the minority.

That said, I'm running all-season tires, but have skidded more than a few times. And I drive like a granny. A granny who grew up driving in snowy conditions in New England, where icy roads like this generally get the ever loving you know what salted and sanded out of them.

Alaska doesn't do the same way. Maybe because Alaskans feel the road is "bare" compared to what it could be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Don't waste your money on studded tires. Just run some good all season tires. That way you won't have to worry about swapping tires out twice a year. I've driven up here my whole life and have never had a problem where I thought studs were the answer. You'll find that the streets are bare most of the time during winter. Your studs will be worthless in a year or two. All those ruts you see on Anchorage streets...they were carved out by studded tires. As for running only two studded tires, no reputable shop will mount only two studded tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska