U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:01 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,559,247 times

Advertisements

OK Yes I was a tourist so I am not bashing tourists. I don't think a couple of days in Alaska 23 years ago and two months now give me any local status. Now the season is closing was wondering if you all have good ones for the summer. Here are a few I heard while in Alaska.... I swear to god these were all real...

In Seward (for you that don't know it is on the bay = Sea level)
What is the elavation here?
What kinda bait do you use for Orcas? (I responded it was only legal for cruise ships to fish.)
How much $$ does it cost the city to keep the bay warm enough to not freeze? And where and when do they turn on the heaters?
Is that a Ice fishing hut? (It was the Seward ship yard that holds a 200 ft ship and no ice.)
When do the smoked Salmon run?

Watched a Aussie try to pick up a lesbian - used every line. It was obviouse that she wasn't into men. We all watched to see it play out.. she was being really cool. Finally asked where her husband was. She looked all around and said "OMG I must of lost him when I realized I was a lesbian!" He turned to us and mouthed "I have never met one before and walked down to end of the bar with her saying "We are really nice people and even live in Australia." Finally he realized he was being rude went back and asked her to explain how this works.

And the best was a woman off the cruise ship saw the sign for end of season party with Hobo Jim - best tourist outfit prize... she had hair teazed out real big, Tammy Fay makeup with the blue eye shadow, platform sneakers, spandex that shouldn't have been worn. She asked the bartender "So what do you wear to this?" We all just turned away.

Any others???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 06:16 PM

693 posts, read 1,373,135 times
OMG. That is hilarious! Poor Aussie men...some of 'em just don't have the "gaydar" on.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:32 PM

6,423 posts, read 11,082,256 times
Those are great Countrygal.

One that I can remember off the top of my head was this lady looking for Alaska gifts and ask if there were any alligators.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:44 PM

1,754 posts, read 3,598,348 times
Ah... so y'all get some of what NM experiences, huh?
When word got around that we were moving to NEW Mexico we heard such gems as:

Do ya'll have your passports?
You better watch out! Your kids will get swine flu and DIE! (For the record, TN has a higher incident of swine flu illnesses and deaths than NM)
You're gonna LOVE the white sand beaches and blue waters!
You'd better boil your horses' water.

And my all time favorite....

"What are y'all going to do out there? I mean, i'll bet they love Easterners to go there, because the native people won't work.'
I sooooo badly wanted to tell 'em that my husband was going to run the saloon and i'd ranch by day and sing at the piano at night- but I resisted. Barely.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:16 PM

693 posts, read 1,373,135 times
It's amazing how "ignorant" people can be...but at the same time, when people are totally thrown out of their environment, they get a bit lost. So...it's good when they get out and learn a bit!

Old 09-30-2009, 09:16 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,949,658 times
A friend use to own the Milepost 1260 lodge, which is some sixty miles or so inside the Alaskan Boarder from Canada on the Al-Can...

When the "American's" came to get gas, they would ask what the rate of exchange is for American Money... Jim would say two to one, when they gave him a U.S. twenty, he gave them a U.S.ten back...

Then there is the "Where do you go to see penguins?"

When I was down in Baltimore picking up a sailboat I bought on Ebay to bring back to Alaska, people would ask how I am going to get there when it is an Island... I would ask "What?" and their response was they see it on TV just below Hawaii on the weather reports...

Then they would ask why I was taking a sailboat to Alaska, and I told them that Ice fishing started in two weeks and I wanted to get back with the boat to fish... they would nod their head, say "Oh" and walk off.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:29 PM

3,293 posts, read 4,254,856 times
Fishing for ice?

Old 09-30-2009, 11:38 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,949,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Fishing for ice?
Yep, I know guys that caught up to fifty pounds of ice in one day!!!

There was even some guys using snowmachines for faster trolling!

Old 09-30-2009, 11:42 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,319,499 times
Some years ago here in Bethel during the K-300 Sled Dog race, some person walked up and asked me about a wooden freight sled and asked if the strings that held it together was sinew. I had a laugh about that.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:49 PM

3,539 posts, read 6,415,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Some years ago here in Bethel during the K-300 Sled Dog race, some person walked up and asked me about a wooden freight sled and asked if the strings that held it together was sinew. I had a laugh about that.
There are a lot of skin boats here in Barrow that are lashed together with sinew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or