U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:28 AM

4 posts, read 8,566 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to drop a line and say "HI" .
Maybe I can bring a new perspective to your questions concerning Hoonah Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 08:36 AM

7,016 posts, read 6,919,780 times
Alrighty now...you have made me want to pull out the ol Alaskan map as soon as I get home to see just where the heck Hoonah is!! tell us about you place please!

Old 10-09-2009, 11:40 AM

34 posts, read 35,460 times
So, what's the latest on the police chief situation?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:47 PM

6,271 posts, read 8,030,826 times
Very nice place, have some friends that moved there about six years ago and love it. They moved there from Fairbanks where they had a farm, sold it and then lived traveling in a Motorhome for a bit before they got tired of that and set up shop in Hoonah.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEINZRX View Post
So, what's the latest on the police chief situation?
The former Chief tendered his resignation after being falsely accused of crap that we know (my family and I) he did not do.
Jeff Hankla, his wife Judy my husband and myself have been close friends for some time now and I can tell you for a fact that Jeff has done nothing but be credit to Hoonah and because of a deeply seeded inferiority complex in a person who held office, Jeff Hankla has came out on the short end of the deal whenever the agenda, pride, ego or reputation of this elected official has been in in question. When ever an accusation was made, no evidence witness or proof of wrong doing was ever brought forth.
For a person who has always been there for the people and especially for the Natives of Hoonah who make up about 75% of the population, has always held in high regard the Elders and there opinions. It is a shame that so little value has been placed on retaining his services as a Peace Officer. We fear not at this loos however because his services we feel will benefit the city of Hoonah as counsel member next year.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 AM

34 posts, read 35,460 times
Sounds like an ugly situation. I hope things get back to normal soon.

On another topic, I know there has been talk over the years of a road connecting Hoonah with Tenakee. Is that still under consideration or was the idea dropped?

Old 10-15-2009, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,549 times
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the intrusion - I'm looking to ask a favor if it's appropriate. I'm trying get in touch with a gentleman in Hoonah by the name of Yundas or Yoondas - not sure of the spelling. I'm hoping that someone may know him and pass my info on.

To explain: I visited Hoonah this last August and took a bike tour that was guided by Yundas out of the Bike Trek ship at the Icy Strait Point pier. He gave us a great tour of the area, we really enjoyed it. Yundas and I spent a lot time talking while we were riding between stops. I really enjoyed hearing about his life and his experiences in Hoonah.

We took some pictures that I that I promised to pass on to him - but I lost his contact info by the time I got back to the lower 48.

From our conversations, I know that he is very involved in the local tribal council and also helping out with the dugout canoes in front of the high school. He also has background in arson investigation and does some work with local forestry or fire services. I hope this helps in locating him.

Anyway, he's good soul and I thought I'd try to fulfill my promise. Here's my email: mwirwin@ix.netcom.com. If anyone can pass this on, great - if you think this is totally inappropriate, I understand and no biggee.

My wife and I had a wonderful in Hoonah, but we didn't feel that our short 8 hour stay could do it justice (we arrived on a cruise). We hope to return someday and spend time in the area, especially since it's so close to Glacier Bay.

Thanks for any assistance in my quest.

Mike

Old 10-17-2009, 10:06 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,195,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutshuwu View Post
Hello everyone,
Just wanted to drop a line and say "HI" .
Maybe I can bring a new perspective to your questions concerning Hoonah Alaska.
Hello there, how is Hoonah right now? At work I've been told it's pretty slow over there.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:46 PM

319 posts, read 580,017 times
Default hoonah

getting drunk in jack ass pass with rosie.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEINZRX View Post
Sounds like an ugly situation. I hope things get back to normal soon.

On another topic, I know there has been talk over the years of a road connecting Hoonah with Tenakee. Is that still under consideration or was the idea dropped?
On its way if the state has any thing to do with it. You can tell the way the area gets preped for surveys and such when they get ready to build a new road down south. thats what has been happening around here.......... just a little bit more subtle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska