Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:09 PM

123 posts, read 747,713 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving back to Alaska. (lived there for 1st through 4th grade) I am wondering about the cost of items such as furniture, home furnishings, vehicles. Would it be more cost effective to sell as much as I could to save on the move to AK? Or would I just end up spending more money to refurnish my home?

I live in a two bedroom townhouse now, so I don't have a ton of stuff. And I wouldn't be looking for anything fancy in the way of furniture or appliances, just basic and clean. I'm probably going to sell my truck either way, as it is 13yrs old. I thought about flying in and purchasing a new one in AK to save on the mileage.Thanks in advance for any replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 08:13 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
If you can get rid of it there I would. You can shop around here, garage sales etc to refurnish.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:16 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,764 times
Depends on what's important to you. First off, research the cost of shipping your "stuff" up here with you. If it's 4-5 thousand dollars, well, 4 grand will buy "stuff" up here also.
But then, priorities are different up here.
If you're moving up here "green", show up with $$$$$, not "stuff".
Just my 2 cents.....

Old 05-07-2007, 09:24 PM

959 posts, read 2,361,131 times
Depends also, on where in Alaska you are going to...if you are going somewhere REALLY rural...might want to hang on to anything more expensive or special to you that you own. If you are not much for decorating...you can buy some decent looking bookcases at Wal-mart, whereever...I just finally got a decent apartment and put a couple small pieces of furniture in it. Decent futon: 250.00 at Walmart (plus price of a ferry ticket with vehicle to bring it back...120.00 plus hotel for a night. Then, a small table with bar stools...nice but not spectacular...300.00 and they killed the taxes cause I had to ship it over...so 20.00 for shipping on a barge. (Ha, you'll save some $$ if you DONT live on an island ) Anyway, that's my advice...anything special that you can't replace...bring it with you. Otherwise...buy stuff here...travel to here is expensive, as we all know.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:03 PM

123 posts, read 747,713 times
Thanks for the replies. Alaskagrl - Sounds like you had quite an adventure to pick up your furniture. I have a Target, SuperWal-Mart, KMart, and a Meijjers within five minutes of my house. I feel spoiled, lol.

As I said, I was just curious if there was a huge markup on bookshelves, computer desks etc; things that I would have to replace. I have wall to wall bookshelves over most of my home now, so that is something I couldn't do without. If I do come up, I'll probably just put my stuff in storage here until I figure out where I'll be living and what the cost would be to move it.

Off topic but I just looked on google earth and the house I lived in from 78 to 82 is still there! They changed the street names though, took me a while to find it.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:04 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,963 times
Default bring the essentials

Don't forget to bring the essentials...rusty old fillet knife, extra snowmobile drive belts, one show shoe, eleventeen greasy half-used bottles of DEET, tacklebox full of dangerously large treblehooks, you know....stuff like that.

Gotta have something to leave in the back of the truck so people won't think you're a newby.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:00 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,708 times
Don't forget the back seat half-used roll of duct tape, and a roll of baling wire (rusty). Couple of ratchet straps might help too.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:38 PM

Duct tape...never leave home without it!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:40 PM

6 posts, read 28,922 times
That's really funny, but so true for alaskans !!! I made the move up from Calif. about 4 months ago....... LOVING IT !!! I have found however, that housing is much, much cheaper, but food is oh, sooooo much more expensive and quality of produce is for the most part terrible. I still am contemplating on weather or not to spend the $3,000.00 it will cost to ship my furniture, but for now I am living in a furnished place. The area around Soldotna and Sterling is absoultely breath taking !!!!

Old 05-09-2007, 12:02 AM

Glad you like it! Maybe our paths will cross one of these days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: