Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,379 times

Advertisements

...and from reading other threads there are a lot just like me How easy, if possible, could it be to move myself, two kids and two dogs to Alaska from Hawaii? From reading the other threads, and not wanting to freeze, I think I am leaning more towards the Anchorage or Juneau areas. Are there any towns that have cheaper rents but are still decent? Of course with kids schools are important too. I'd really like to move there but as with any move there is so much to worry about. I'd need to find a decent paying job but would like to live below my means until I'm very financially and career stable in the state. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 09:40 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,764 times
you want to leave "paradise", to come here?

Old 05-07-2007, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,379 times
LOL..it's not that much of a paradise. Most people either hate it or love it. I don't hate it or love it but it definitely isn't my choice of a place to stay. I'm getting divorced and the cost to live anywhere decent here is outrageous. I could not make it on my own. I have family in Georgia and Illinois however the job market isn't that great where they are and the area in illinois isn't my top choice. So, if I can make Alaska work I'd love to try!

Old 05-07-2007, 10:21 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,764 times
Well, as far as Juneau, it's not that bad a place. Housing is a challenge, newcomers (like I did) get an "extended stay" apt, nothing more thana motel 6 type room, with an honest kitchenette, for about 1100.00 a month. But that includes everything (utilities, heat, cable, tv, phone, semi-furnished, etc).
Housing is probably what you pay there, but be prepared for a surprise. It's not the Ritz.
Jobs are to be had, but mostly seasonal. It get's better once you get "known". One of the first questions thrown at you is "how long you gonna be here". But once you're hired, and proven, it's good to go.
As far as freezing here, we got 200 inches of snow this last winter. But it wasn't that bad. Honestly. And it was snow that stuck around , not melted in 2 weeks.
Show up with enough $$$ to support yourself for at least a month, the Breakwater and Driftwood have the extended rooms for a start.
But it's tourist season now, you've got to let them know this is a relocation, not a vist.
The schools here are very good. They teach firearms safety, outdoor skills, and hunter safety course in the 6th grade.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:58 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,963 times
Default Anchorage is probably your best bet

Like it or not, Anchorage is probably your best bet right off the bat. There are just more full-time jobs there than anywhere else in the state. If you're paying Hawaii rent, housing will probably seem reasonable.

Yeah, its not the "Alaska dream city" but keep in mind that its still a very pretty town compared to most places, lots of parks and open spaces. Even though its by far the biggest city in the state its still only about 260,000 people, just a moderately sized city by lower '48 standards.

Try and keep in touch with your friends in Hawaii, you'll no doubt end up wanting to visit them at some point. Probably about February is my guess.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:42 AM

115 posts, read 664,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmeo123 View Post
...to Alaska from Hawaii?...
ARE YOU STUPID?! We are actually moving from AK to HI (my dh is already there, I'll be there next month!)

Anchorage would probably be best to start out in, once you get here then after a year or three, you could try another city...

Good luck!

Old 05-09-2007, 09:27 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmeo123 View Post
...I'd need to find a decent paying job but would like to live below my means until I'm very financially and career stable in the state. Thanks for any help!
What kind of work would you be looking for? I can think of one place in Seward that is looking for help right now, and is paying $17/hr to start. (with plenty of overtime if you want it). You probably aren't interested, but I may as well mention it: correctional officer, in the prison here, either male or female...doesn't matter. And no experience required (and I mean NONE). No, it's not fun, work seldom is, but it pays the bills. And Seward is in the "banana-belt" of Alaska...it doesn't get extremely cold here like other places.

http://www.correct.state.ak.us/corre...o_recruitment/

One advantage of a small rural town like this is it may be easier to find a place to rent that will accept two dogs...in Anchorage that may be a lot harder (not impossible, just harder). It's true that Anchorage will have a bigger variety of jobs, and more of them.

Sometimes the question of where to move to, where to go, is solved easily: it's a matter of where can you go to find employment...then the rest will fall into place...

Yes, Hawaii is a paradise, but then so is Alaska...definitely a different kind, but paradise none-the-less. Scenery here is easy on the eyes....beautiful mountains, lakes, everywhere...

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska