Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:37 PM

2,519 posts, read 6,990,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Oil production on the slope is declining at 5% per year. It's not a matter of price, but physics. At current rates of decline the Pipeline will reach 200,000 bbl/per day in about 10 years, at which point it becomes unfeasable to operate the pipeline from both an engineering and economic perspective. The only solution is bringing more supply on line, but the current administration has made it clear this will never happen - and it couldn't even happen in previous development friendly ones either.

The gas pipeline is dead because 150+ years of natural gas supply is now economically recoverable in the lower 48. Again, regardless of price, it will always be more economical to develop the gas down south than build a 2000+ mile pipeline through Canada to Chicago.

Driving away extreme environmentalism is wishful thinking. The lunacy is too deeply entrenched in the national psyche. The reality is there is nothing on the horizon that can alter the forces that are already in play. The Alaskan economy is like the Titanic. The iceberg has been struck. The ship is still afloat for now, in fact the band is still playing so things look okay from afar, but the outcome is inevitable.

Can I use this quote for my blog? It's a good analysis of the current situation. Basically, we need more oil in the pipeline or we are going downhill. That is my belief as well. Of course, I lived here before the oil days...that is a long ways from where we are today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 02:18 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,786,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Tourism is hit hard because of the lower 48's problems, and I doubt it will come back until things are better in the lower 48.
What might save the tourism industry is promoting Alaska as a travel destination for the rest of the world.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:20 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,786,598 times
Quote:
Oil production on the slope is declining at 5% per year. It's not a matter of price, but physics. At current rates of decline the Pipeline will reach 200,000 bbl/per day in about 10 years, at which point it becomes unfeasable to operate the pipeline from both an engineering and economic perspective.
Moose is it possible to convert the pipeline to carry natural gas instead?

Old 10-19-2009, 02:46 PM

4,988 posts, read 9,955,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Can I use this quote for my blog? It's a good analysis of the current situation. Basically, we need more oil in the pipeline or we are going downhill. That is my belief as well. Of course, I lived here before the oil days...that is a long ways from where we are today.
Sure, post away! Though I can hardly claim it as an original thought of my own.

You also bring up an interesting point - obviously life in Alaska existed before the oil days, and would continue after. However the infrastructure and societal dynamics have changed so much that a transition back would likely be devastaing in too many ways to imagine.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:49 PM

4,988 posts, read 9,955,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Moose is it possible to convert the pipeline to carry natural gas instead?
I'm not a pipeline engineer, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Besides, you have to have liquid pipeline in place to carry the oil away from the field before you start removing the gas anyway.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:52 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,352,341 times
Quote:
Oil production on the slope is declining at 5% per year. It's not a matter of price, but physics. At current rates of decline the Pipeline will reach 200,000 bbl/per day in about 10 years, at which point it becomes unfeasable to operate the pipeline from both an engineering and economic perspective. The only solution is bringing more supply on line, but the current administration has made it clear this will never happen - and it couldn't even happen in previous development friendly ones either.

The gas pipeline is dead because 150+ years of natural gas supply is now economically recoverable in the lower 48. Again, regardless of price, it will always be more economical to develop the gas down south than build a 2000+ mile pipeline through Canada to Chicago.

Driving away extreme environmentalism is wishful thinking. The lunacy is too deeply entrenched in the national psyche. The reality is there is nothing on the horizon that can alter the forces that are already in play. The Alaskan economy is like the Titanic. The iceberg has been struck. The ship is still afloat for now, in fact the band is still playing so things look okay from afar, but the outcome is inevitable.
Well there is one solution to the problems: secession. This weak administration might be the right one to try it on too...

Old 10-19-2009, 02:53 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,352,341 times
Quote:
Sure, post away! Though I can hardly claim it as an original thought of my own.

You also bring up an interesting point - obviously life in Alaska existed before the oil days, and would continue after. However the infrastructure and societal dynamics have changed so much that a transition back would likely be devastaing in too many ways to imagine.
The higher taxes would also drive other business away too.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:04 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,251,434 times
What kind of potential is there for transitioning (at least to an extent) to geothermal and/or tidal energy as oil production declines?

Old 10-19-2009, 03:25 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,781,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
What might save the tourism industry is promoting Alaska as a travel destination for the rest of the world.
The rest of the world is suffering along with us, in fact there is some resentment out there growing because of it.
Also the "head tax" is doing us any good also, the cruise industry is turning that into a weapon against us.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:28 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,781,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
What kind of potential is there for transitioning (at least to an extent) to geothermal and/or tidal energy as oil production declines?
Because the oil giants see those as more of a novelty than serious energy projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska