Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:34 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times

Advertisements

Hi Alaskans,

I'm a recent college grad from Michigan, and have a job opportunity as an Air Traffic Controller, which, if it pans out, will probably land me in Alaska. I have a choice of Juneau, Fairbanks, or Anchorage as work locations. All things being equal, the main factor for me is location. Of course, all of Alaska is absolutely beautiful and any of the above locations would be awesome places to live, but I do have some questions/concerns/preferences.

I don't know much about Alaska, but I do know that Anchorage is a fairly big city. I really don't like big cities. Also, from the few maps and pictures I've looked at, it seems like Fairbanks is not in the mountains. I like mountains, but I don't have to live near them. What I'm really looking for is a friendly, small Alaskan city with plenty of younger people and a reasonable cost of living.

Also, I forgot to mention that I'm looking for a place with sunny weather. I hate rain.

Which of these three do you think would be best for me?

Last edited by northstar22; 10-21-2009 at 06:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 06:56 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Wow! After you come up and visit all three I'm sure you'll make the right decision. No one else can make it for you. You don't want a big city, you want to be in the mountains and you don't like rain. I'm not real sure which one of these would meet your needs.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:15 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Also, I forgot to mention that I'm looking for a place with sunny weather. I hate rain.

Which of these three do you think would be best for me?
I think you're looking in the wrong state. Of the three, Fairbanks is likely the driest, but it does have some of the coldest weather. Juneau fits most of your criteria, except for the lack of sunny weather and rain. Anchorage falls somewhere in the middle. It's the biggest city, but that's relative (i.e., it's small compared to Chicago or Detroit). It rains there too.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:24 PM

I'm from Michigan, the second cloudiest state in the country. Any state except Washington would be sunnier. It's been overcast here for the past month, with only two (partly) sunny days to break up the monotony. I'm not looking for a desert, but just a place where the sun comes out regularly, a place where it doesn't rain for weeks on end.

I don't mind cold weather. I would love to experience -60. Heat bothers me more than cold.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:45 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,198 times
Alaska is the wrong state if you hate rain, snow, or clouds

Old 10-21-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
Alaska is the wrong state if you hate rain, snow, or clouds
I love snow. I don't mind clouds during the winter, especially if it's snowing. What I hate is weeks of nothing but rain and low clouds. I'd rather have snow than rain.

If I hated snow and seasonal weather I'd be looking at going to Hawaii.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:57 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I love snow. I don't mind clouds during the winter, especially if it's snowing. What I hate is weeks of nothing but rain and low clouds. I'd rather have snow than rain.

If I hated snow and seasonal weather I'd be looking at going to Hawaii.
It seems that Fairbanks would be the best choice for you. But keep in mind that while it's dryer around Fairbanks than other places in Alaska, it's very possible to have a rainy summer. It happens every now and then. It does get warmer in Fairbanks than Anchorage and Juneau. While there aren't mountains right next to Fairbanks, it's surrounded by hills or high ground. But one can see the Alaska range and other mountains in the distance (on clear days), and Denali is not too far (on the Parks, toward Anchorage, about 1-1/2 hour drive). Then you can reach the Alaska Range near Delta Junction. This is part of that range:

Now, the cost of living in Alaska is high, and this includes rent in the three cities you have mentioned. If you don't have a family and can live in one-bedroom apartment, you should be able to rent at $800.00 (or so) per month for a decent place. Flying from Alaska to Hawaii is cheaper than flying to the lower-48

Old 10-22-2009, 12:21 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,110 times
Fairbanks for sure! it is freaken Awesome there!

Old 10-22-2009, 12:22 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
There is also a control tower here in Bethel, it is contracted out from the FAA as are towers in King salmon, Kenai, and Kodiak. FAA runs towers in Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Merrill Field in Anchorage.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:09 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,966 times
Kazoo, I'm also from MI, Little Traverse Bay area. Here in the Mat-Su, the weather is quite similar to Northern MI, though sunnier in the winter, less snow, and cooler in the summer with a little less rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska