U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2012, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
2,558 posts, read 3,930,083 times
Reputation: 1918

Advertisements

I see this is an old thread that's been resurrected... I was on Afognak in '86-87 and then again '90-'95, working for Silver Bay Logging. Ben A. Thomas had a camp a few miles away and was also logging on the island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2012, 07:00 PM
 
674 posts, read 1,417,839 times
Reputation: 270
Yes, Ben A Thomas said they has another camp on Afognak. That was in 2000/2001. Just wondering what happened to them. I've been thinking about finding another similar job. I really enjoyed my time out in the woods. I've also been tossing around the idea of buying property in a remote location to live for a year or so, just to see if it is for me. Always been kind of a loner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
2,558 posts, read 3,930,083 times
Reputation: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
Yes, Ben A Thomas said they has another camp on Afognak. That was in 2000/2001. Just wondering what happened to them. I've been thinking about finding another similar job. I really enjoyed my time out in the woods. I've also been tossing around the idea of buying property in a remote location to live for a year or so, just to see if it is for me. Always been kind of a loner.
I'm not sure who is out there, but I'm pretty sure there's still a company logging on Afognak. You might contact Koncor at see who is doing the logging for them: Koncor Forest Products Home Page

And I know there's still some logging in Southeast. A friend of my parents owns a small mill in Hoonah: Alaska Wood Products
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 07:52 PM
 
20,423 posts, read 26,550,284 times
Reputation: 13124
Evergreen Timber has the contract on Afognak now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 05:12 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,229 times
Reputation: 13
Benjamin Moe....you are full of s@#t! There were not even close to 50 mechanics that quit that year. And if I remember correctly you didn't just leave, you were fired. AND it's not a 'camp walking boss', they are referred to as 'Siderods' and who gives a s@#t if he was overweight?! He did a good job at his job which cannot be said for you........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
2,558 posts, read 3,930,083 times
Reputation: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTAboss View Post
AND it's not a 'camp walking boss', they are referred to as 'Siderods' ........
I wondered about him using that term... We always called them siderods too... But we also called timber fallers "cutters" while guys from Idaho would call them "sawers." So I thought maybe "walking boss" was just another term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2018, 01:48 PM
 
1 posts, read 368 times
Reputation: 15
Default Good times on the Island

I worked for Ben A. Thomas on Afognak Island. I went to work for for them in '92 and left in '97 when the market went into a slump. Brian was the head mechanic when I left. He was quit the BSer.The siderod was Glenn Robertson. Glenn knew his stuff when it come to building bridges. I started out falling timber, and got board with that and went on to take over camp maintenance. I built the new truck shop behind the old shop and the maintenance up on the hill on the upper road in camp. I installed the satellite 12 channel system we purchased from Kodiak cable. In my spare time I loaded logs, and drove log truck and gravel truck when ever they needed me. It was one of the best places I'd ever been. I miss it alot. If they was still logging there, I'd go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2018, 11:32 AM
 
674 posts, read 1,417,839 times
Reputation: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
I worked for Ben A. Thomas on Afognak Island. I went to work for for them in '92 and left in '97 when the market went into a slump. Brian was the head mechanic when I left. He was quit the BSer.The siderod was Glenn Robertson. Glenn knew his stuff when it come to building bridges. I started out falling timber, and got board with that and went on to take over camp maintenance. I built the new truck shop behind the old shop and the maintenance up on the hill on the upper road in camp. I installed the satellite 12 channel system we purchased from Kodiak cable. In my spare time I loaded logs, and drove log truck and gravel truck when ever they needed me. It was one of the best places I'd ever been. I miss it alot. If they was still logging there, I'd go back.
Did you ever work in Icy Bay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top