U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:27 PM

213 posts, read 633,503 times

Advertisements

Looking at property (existing home with land) several miles further south of Copper Center down on the Edgerton Highway. I used to live in Alaska (left in 2000) but am not familiar with this area I'm asking about. I did research city-data and got some statistics as far as population, temps, etc. However, if there are any persons out there who are familiar with this area south of Copper Center, I would appreciate any info you can share. Supposedly, it's about 5 hours from Anchorage, temps can run from -20's to 70's (probably actually colder than the -20's in winter. Any racism to speak of, repair people available to fix things if needed, closest good shopping (assume Wasilla or Anchorage) for bulk and price. Jobs are not important since I'm now retired. As I said, any information someone may want to share would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 04:53 PM

6,283 posts, read 10,887,730 times
Alaska Division of Community and Regional Affairs

Copper Center is located along the Richardson Highway between Mileposts 101 and 105. It is on the west bank of the Copper River at the confluence of the Klutina River. It lies just west of the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park. The community lies at approximately 61.955000 North Latitude and -145.305280 West Longitude. Sec. 18, T002N, R001E, Copper River Meridian.) Copper Center is located in the Chitina Recording District. Copper Center is located in the continental climate zone. Winters are long and cold, and summers are relatively warm. Temperature extremes have been recorded from a low of -74 to a high of 96 degrees. Snowfall averages 39 inches, and total precipitation averages 9 inches per year.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:17 PM

2,517 posts, read 5,606,421 times
It gets a lot colder than -20 on a regular basis. It sounds like you are looking in the Kenny Lake area.

This is a very rural area. I doubt that you will find much racism, but you won't find much of anything there. As far as fixing things, get to know your neighbors because it's going to be a long way to the nearest maytag repairman. Or better yet, get used to fixing things yourself.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:16 PM

17,852 posts, read 18,384,504 times
The water table is quite deep in the Glennallen/Copper River/Chitna area. Most residents have their water portaged in via truck from either the Kenny or Pippen Lakes. The closest grocery store is in Glennallen, but it is pretty small with a limited selection of goods. Valdez would be the location of the second closest grocery store, and while bigger than the one in Glennallen, it is still small in comparison to those in Palmer/Wasilla or Anchorage.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:47 PM

15,695 posts, read 25,302,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
It gets a lot colder than -20 on a regular basis. It sounds like you are looking in the Kenny Lake area.

This is a very rural area. I doubt that you will find much racism, but you won't find much of anything there. As far as fixing things, get to know your neighbors because it's going to be a long way to the nearest maytag repairman. Or better yet, get used to fixing things yourself.
You got that right (about getting colder). It not only gets colder, but quite windy sometimes. It should not be too far from Glennallen, perhaps within a 50-mile or so radius. One should get to the Edgerton Cutoff form the road leading to Chitina (Highway 10, I believe). I see the road sign leading to the Edgerton Cutoff somewhere near the gas station/store that has a corral on the back (about ten to fifteen miles down 10 from the Richardson). I believe the Edgerton Cutoff runs between that store and Copper Center.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Yes, Marty, it is in the Kenny Lake area. Is this any colder or worse than the Copper Center area? I would assume mosquitoes are about the same anywhere in that part of the state.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:53 AM

2,517 posts, read 5,606,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igloo View Post
Yes, Marty, it is in the Kenny Lake area. Is this any colder or worse than the Copper Center area? I would assume mosquitoes are about the same anywhere in that part of the state.
I don't think it's any colder than Copper Center. You will see -40 probably every winter and likely -50 or colder.

The mosquitos are there...get used to it, we all do. I like the area myself but haven't spent a lot of tiime there. I drive through there going to Chitna for dipnetting. Pretty country but very rural. Not remote...rural.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:51 AM

6,283 posts, read 10,887,730 times
Why don't you fly up and take a look at it right now? Would that be the best course of action if you think you might buy it.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Why don't you fly up and take a look at it right now? Would that be the best course of action if you think you might buy it.
Yep, that's a given. However, it will probably be January before we can fly up due to family obligations through the end of the year. Will just try to gather as much info as I can before we come up.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:01 PM

6,158 posts, read 3,760,431 times
Quote:

I was going to post the exact same comments Marty.. X10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska