U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 04:09 PM

15,582 posts, read 33,172,081 times

Advertisements

The place is only gonna grow. Get in while the gettins good!

www.alaska.com/visit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 05:16 PM

319 posts, read 313,979 times
Question...

Is Kenai prone to earthquakes?

Old 05-15-2007, 06:02 PM

15,582 posts, read 33,172,081 times
Oh yeah...the peninsula lies maybe 30 miles across Cook Inlet from a whole string of active volcanoes! But for the most part it's very mild earthquakes. Might get a 2 or 3 on occasion. You can see for yourself at
http://www.aeic.alaska.edu/recenteqs_sub/ where they update seismic activity hourly. Legend is at the top of the map. If you click on the individual squares (earthquake locations) it brings up the size, time, depth etc. I've been here all my life. Only once did I consider running from my trailer house that was perched on pilings near the edge of a hill top! We get some pretty decent volcano activity and you can check that at http://www.avo.alaska.edu/ and there are live camera feeds and web cam shots...plus current updates. We're on the ring of fire here. So things happen underground!

Old 05-15-2007, 06:35 PM

319 posts, read 313,979 times
Fascinating. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:02 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,833,110 times
Default denali quake

I was driving from Anchorage to Whittier when the big denali quake hit, missed the whole thing. Never felt anything at all happen for the biggest AK quake since '64, the cars suspension soaked it all up. We didn't even know anything had happened until the folks at the tunnel told us it was closed on account of the earthquake, till they could check things out. Bummer.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:13 PM

4 posts, read 22,621 times
Default Question

Well I have been contemplating on wether or not to move to Alaska. It seems like a great place to live but its so vast and I cant choose on where the right place to live is! I was born and raised in Michigan but my family and I moved back and forth from Ohio because of my mother's job. I still live in Michigan and its an okay place. I grew up in small twp. so i wasn't surrounded by the big cities even though I still have to visit them alot. I would like to live in an area where your welcomed like family but still have that distance to enjoy the wild-life. Any suggestions?

Old 07-05-2009, 02:22 AM

2,517 posts, read 5,606,421 times
Dutch Harbor, Galena, Kotzebue, Bethel is a whole 'nother deal.

You are off the road system, which means you can't drive there. At least I think that's what it means :-)

Not only are you off the road system, it costs more to fly from Dutch to Anchorage than from Anchorage to Seattle.

In Southeast AK you have the ferry system, but in other places is airplane only.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:06 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,833,110 times
Default wherever

Wherever you think you want to move to, VISIT IT FIRST. It's not like moving from Iowa to Oklahoma, getting back from whence you came is a whole order of magnitude more difficult than the usual.

Small town Alaska has a lot to offer, but jobs are scarce and full-time employment with any kind of insurance/benefits/etc. can be scarce as hens teeth. Get the job situation sorted out first, THEN make the commitment to move.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:12 PM

4 posts, read 22,621 times
Marty:Well I took a look at Bethel, Kotzebue, and Galena and it seems tha Galena would be most financially comfortable for me. The only issue with the other two is just the mean in house costs, too pricey.Seeing that your a resident in Alaska have you ever Galena? If so what would be some of the pluses for living there. It shows your location is Palmer Alaska, my curiosity as to why you chose such an area to live.Rotorhead:Say hypothetically that the occupation was taken care of and all I would need to do is just pack my bags and leave to wherever. I wouldn't want to have to make it a journey visiting ALL of Alaska! I wouldn't mind some persuading reasons for visiting specific locations in Alaska. I wanna make it worth my while not just wasting money traveling all over hell's half acre! lol

Old 07-29-2009, 02:06 AM

2,517 posts, read 5,606,421 times
I have never been to Galena, I've been to a lot of places near Galena. I've been to Ruby, Tanana, Grayling, Anvik, Hughes, Allakaket, Bettles, McGrath etc. So I've been all around it but never had a chance to visit Galena myself.

A ticket from Anchorage to Galena is $289...one way. I can fly to Seattle for less than that.

I would like to visit Galena and might even like to live there...good moose hunting. But don't fool yourself, it isn't cheap living out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska