U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 09:08 PM

123 posts, read 531,869 times

Advertisements

Outside of the degreed positions ( doctor, engineer etc ) what are the better paying, or most sought after jobs in Alaska? I have always been in the security field, but I doubt there is much call for this in Alaska ( plus I would like to be able to have a beard ), so I will be looking for something else, or to learn a trade.

I've looked at the job boards, but I'm not sure what to shoot for. From what I have read on here, it seems that many of the good paying jobs are in the oil fields. Is there room there for a greenhorn? I am a quick learner, I'm not afraid of hard work, and I'm willing to start at the bottom. I'm considering taking some vocational classes here while I save up the money to move to Alaska.

So what do you guys recommend? Any career fields in Alaska that you find especially rewarding? ( financially or otherwise )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 11:28 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,031,803 times
Default Chugach electric

I always thought the guys working for Chugach Electric in Anchorage had a sweet deal. I got stuck overnight at the Beluga power station with a lineman and a supervisor one night, they spent hours comparing their various retirement plans and such (while drinking and playing pool at some guys house nearby that runs a 10' square bar in his basement). One guy that'd been there about 20 years or so was wondering how he'd make it on his retirement pay, of 'only' about $50k/yr. Every time I flew their guys around, I was always the lowest payed man in the helicopter.

Theres lot of union work still left in AK, you just gotta find a way into the system.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:00 AM

740 posts, read 1,189,374 times
Any skilled trades are usually high in demand in Anchorage and Fairbanks, and as a sub-contractor you can make $40+ an hour. I sent you a pm giving you a little information on it.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:10 AM

14,943 posts, read 25,064,932 times
I did the commercial fishing thing. It'll never be like it was 20 years ago. Residential construction seems strong in my area and I believe it will be for awhile. Oilfeild is fairly strong state wide. If you can get any experience "down there" you should have no trouble getting on with one of the local drilling companies. But there are many that live here...that are working the feilds in Colorado and Wyoming now days. Just as good or better pay down there, and much more shortage of rig hands. Might be easier to get a roughnecking job than here right now. Plus there are many other options here to choose from. I just don't have any experience with anything else.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:57 AM

123 posts, read 531,869 times
Thanks for all the replies. Rance - You work up north, but live in the southern part of AK right? How does that work? Do you live on the jobsite when you are working?

Old 05-14-2007, 11:36 AM

14,943 posts, read 25,064,932 times
We have a large base camp here on the slope. Can be up 1000 people here in mid winter...due to exploration, pipeliners, seismic crews etc. Come summer we can taper off to 300 to 600. I live like 800 or more miles south of where I work. I do a 2 week on 2 week off schedule. At this point..I have spent just over half my life above the Arctic Circle. It sucks to be me!

Old 05-14-2007, 11:56 AM

2,739 posts, read 5,500,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulsterscot View Post
Outside of the degreed positions ( doctor, engineer etc ) what are the better paying, or most sought after jobs in Alaska? I have always been in the security field, but I doubt there is much call for this in Alaska ( plus I would like to be able to have a beard ), so I will be looking for something else, or to learn a trade.

I've looked at the job boards, but I'm not sure what to shoot for. From what I have read on here, it seems that many of the good paying jobs are in the oil fields. Is there room there for a greenhorn? I am a quick learner, I'm not afraid of hard work, and I'm willing to start at the bottom. I'm considering taking some vocational classes here while I save up the money to move to Alaska.

So what do you guys recommend? Any career fields in Alaska that you find especially rewarding? ( financially or otherwise )
If the other jobs suggested here don't pan out, you can always work in security (or related). The Alaska Dept of Corrections is hiring NOW for corrections officers, with NO experience required. Starting pay is $17/hr, and peaks around $25/hr, dependent on location and promotions. Usually, they work "one week on, one week off"....7 twelves. A week off at a time would give you time to look for other jobs, or whatever...
You could start with that, since you can get hired right away, then skip over to one of the other jobs when you get a chance. Just a thought. http://www.correct.state.ak.us/corre...o_recruitment/

Bud

Old 06-08-2007, 05:19 PM

14 posts, read 63,026 times
Default dpt of corrections jobs

Just looked at their site and they like most other common jobs are set aside for residents only, that is what has stopped me from just piling in the truck and going for it. dont get me wrong,Think it's great to employ alaskans first, due to geographic location and all, and not all jobs can be filled by alaskakns the highly skilled jobs can not keep up with alaska college grads, so if you are a "smartie"
(no disrespect intended) you may still qualify for some jobs.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:31 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,785,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
If the other jobs suggested here don't pan out, you can always work in security (or related). The Alaska Dept of Corrections is hiring NOW for corrections officers, with NO experience required. Starting pay is $17/hr, and peaks around $25/hr, dependent on location and promotions. Usually, they work "one week on, one week off"....7 twelves. A week off at a time would give you time to look for other jobs, or whatever...
You could start with that, since you can get hired right away, then skip over to one of the other jobs when you get a chance. Just a thought. http://www.correct.state.ak.us/corre...o_recruitment/

Bud
It's very difficult to get in the corrections field, my son in law was born and raised up here has a clean back ground and not a druggie and he still can't get on so they are vey selective just don't know what they are looking for.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:22 PM

9 posts, read 30,766 times
Fishing is one of the major job in Alaska. It is also the most common job to find in Alaska
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska