Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 09:44 PM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
How about option #4. He's totally obsessed with her to the point of being almost a stalker.
Interesting comment. His comments here don't fall within the legal definition of "stalking".

The legal definition of "stalking" involves the phraseology of "repeated and unwanted contact". Unless you can definitively prove that the poster known as "notrees...." is engaged in this sort of behavior concerning the former governor, you might want to rethink your accusations...

Personally I hope that this country never comes down to this...to where people expressing a negative opinion of a public figure are construed as "stalking" them.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:47 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,745,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Let's look at options. She could stay on as governor, face more frivolous ethics complaints and face an uncertain future at the end of her term. Or she could resign, write a book, make millions and keep her name on the national scene.

Facing those two options, I'd resign too, but I agree with your feelings about her and would never vote for her.
Ya know, I have yet to hear her on national TV in an interview to mention frivolous ethics complaints...or am I wrong and missed something?

Old 11-21-2009, 09:49 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,249,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Interesting comment. His comments here don't fall within the legal definition of "stalking".
Or even any other common-sense definition, either.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:51 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,745,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Boy View Post
Met for the most part it isn't political discourse. It's quite laughable that you accuse the 'Palinistas' of personal attacks. I dare guess that 90% of the attacks made on Palin are personal attacks. Her clothes, her diction, her education, her family, her religion, on and on...and on.
TD...When she decided, or anyone else, to run for public office she put herself and her family in the public eye for opinons to be made to get your vote or not...her actions also bring about more opinions, her words or lack of bring more opinion, but she chose that life...I think at that point crying "Their bein' mean to me" is past being believable...

Old 11-21-2009, 10:01 PM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Boy View Post
Met for the most part it isn't political discourse. It's quite laughable that you accuse the 'Palinistas' of personal attacks. I dare guess that 90% of the attacks made on Palin are personal attacks. Her clothes, her diction, her education, her family, her religion, on and on...and on.
Uh, yeah. You must have missed the posts....mostly deleted now, in which I defended her against the attacks that a troll was making regarding her family. And I personally debunked Andrew Sullivan's BS about Track Palin not being a high school graduate by posting the roster of the graduating class of Wasilla High (2005) on his website. I've spent a lot of time on the political forum defending her decision to take her children with her on the campaign trail rather then leaving them in Wasilla where the yellow press was skulking through every garbage can in town looking for dirt.

Her diction? I've merely pointed out that during her stint as a sportscaster in Anchorage, the doggone by gosh faux hillbilly ruse was very much not in evidence. I personally think that the down home act was dreamed up by the McCain advisers.

Although I agree with you that most of the "attacks" on Palin on this board and elsewhere have indeed involved personal issues concerning who she is as a human being, I haven't been a huge part of that. Some of it has rather left me cold. And one of the hardest things about the past election was the misconceptions that so many lower 48-ers had about Alaska. I used to call it "Google Alaska"---they would Google something and then post it as an absolute truth.

My aversion to Palin isn't a superficial one. It may be so with some but I would prefer not to be lumped in with them.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:02 PM

288 posts, read 347,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
What am I missing here? What is the Pro-pallin stance? What has she done that entitles her to be elevated to revolutionary idol status and spreading her wisdom through the world via new book? In my eyes, she is just another typical politician. What is the opposing viewpoint to this?
Mist, I don't speak for anyone other than me, but my feelings on Palin are these. I do not see her as a typical politician. She wasn't born into politics like GWB. She wasn't fast-tracked up the political ladder like Barry Obama. She is not a washington insider. She is not an elitest. She doesn't have an ivy league education, she has in fact a common (for most people) education. She has values that I share and believe in. Politicians and ivy leaguers have ran this country into the ground as best as I can tell. I just want someone in the Whitehouse to bring some sanity back.
Now you please explain to me why you feel the media rips and tears her into pieces and gives others a free pass for much worse.

That's my take...YMMV,
TB

Old 11-21-2009, 10:02 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,367,914 times
[quote=Metlakatla;11725752]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post

Same old silencing tactics Pat.

You're wrong again Pat. People shouldn't "tune out" those they don't want to hear when the people they don't want to hear are trying to influence national policy. They should take an interest in their country and speak up. It's too bad that you have an obvious problem with that but our democracy was built on that very principle.

Some of us do care about this country and we will not sit idly by while some whack job tries to influence national policy in ways that we believe would be disastrous.

Too bad you have such a problem with anyone who speaks out against the former governor, but your finger wagging is more than just a bit pretentious.

Those of us who believe that Sarah Palin's political stances are dangerous ones will continue to say just that and we will do so out of the love of our country. If you don't care for that, I suggest you take your own advice and "tune it out".

Met, now read this slowly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
I think not. She is everywhere with this book stuff. No one has to search for her or go out of his way to be faced with the urge--driving urge--to say something about her. Because she is in our face and doesn't have the personal modesty to realize she is not educated enough, worldly enough, personable enough, smart enough (creationism?), or any of the other enoughs needed for leadership outside the confines of the great state of Alaska. John McCain did this to us--and Alaska--thanks guys.
So in other words, what you are saying is that she is not smart enough, etc. etc. etc. for leadership other then "in" Alaska. Strange comment.

Tama is saying that Palin can only lead in Alaska..somewhat of an insult to Alaska dont you think? That's what I was commenting on. And if people don't like Palin or anybody else they can turn the t.v. or whatever off.

Don't tell me I'm wrong! I'm no more wrong then you. Your problem is you get on here and trash Palin and you can't stand it when someone has an opposing view...well tough! That's what the forums are. You don't run them! Anytime someone disagrees with you the controlling buttercup comes out in you. So I suggest as I have told you before, if you don't like what I post then "tune it out!" Maybe you should carefully read what others post before you "try" to blast them!

Old 11-21-2009, 10:03 PM

2,519 posts, read 6,990,128 times
Welllllllll. I'll step back into the mix and say that if the election were held today between Obama and Palin I would vote for Palin.

I don't think that either one are really up to the job. In fact, when you think about it...is anyone up to the job of POTUS?

Reagan did as good a job as anyone and as I remember he was pretty much a 40 hour per week president. He made a few large decisions and let his cabinet handle the rest. Clinton was playboying around more than he was doing the job, but still, the job got done.

All the presidents that I remember were very flawed individuals like all the rest of us. But they make some very big decisions and Palin's decisions for supreme court nominees, attorneys, and long term bureaucrats would be more to my liking than are Obamas. It's just a different set of values.

Your opinion may vary... :-) ....but I just hope that next time more people are on my side than last time.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:05 PM

400 posts, read 463,121 times
When she was asked by Oprah and Barbara Walters whether or not she would be running for President in 2012, she replied she was going to leave it open. Is she fishing to see how much popularity she has by this book? If so, books sell on total contraversy, not necessarily popularity. I hope she doesn't get the 2 confused.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:08 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
Politics brings out the ugliness in everyone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska