Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 10:57 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyta View Post
here in the piedmont (raleigh) it's milk and bread that get bought out when all we normally get is a dusting of snow 1/2". in 2007 we had I40 stalled out for hours from what they called Ice but the roads were dry. I just don't get the people here really.
Hmmm, now that you say that, I suppose Raleigh is in the piedmont. I always kinda thought of it as being part of the coastal plain, but you're right. But according to Wikipedia, Raleigh averages 6-8 inches of snow per year. My girlfriend is from Raleigh, and I gotta say, I prefer my mountains. Way too damn hot out there in the RTP. At least here in the mountains we get a couple feet of snow each year, and while the summers are quite hot, they're nothing compared to the piedmont or especially my native Alabama. Hopefully sooner rather than later, I will be living somewhere (hopefully Alaska) that gets all the snow my shoveling heart desires (and then some!). It is hilarious the way Southerners react to snow, though; I never did understand why a snowfall warrants buying lots of milk and bread. I buy beer, cigarettes, and hot tea hahahaha. You know, the necessities. And maybe some sandwich material too, if I'm going to be snowed in (which I never have during a Southern snowstorm).

Gusting 85 kts, huh? Damn, that's some pretty solid wind right there. We've been having wind advisories here in the mountains for the past week or so, with 25-30 mph winds gusting up to 60 mph. Certainly not 85 (can't remember the exact conversion of knots to mph right now), but still nice and windy. I love sitting in my living room, or even better, on my porch, and just listening to the wind blow. It's such a nice, comforting sound, that whistling, blowing, peaceful yet powerful noise. Ahhhhh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 05:42 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Is it Fort Yukon? I seem to remember that from my climate research of Alaska.

Doesn't it also hold the state's record high?
Nope, it's Prospect Creek. Got to -80 degrees. No wind chill factor, just a mind-numbing -80 degrees.

At that temperature you'll probably need to plug in your sled dogs to an electric bush.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,019,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
What settlement in Alaska holds the record low US temperature? What was that temperature? It consistently has the lowest temps in the state/country.

Its about 200 miles north of Fairbanks. No fair googling the answer. I found out watching a program about winter.
Quote:
Nope, it's Prospect Creek. Got to -80 degrees. No wind chill factor, just a mind-numbing -80 degrees.

At that temperature you'll probably need to plug in your sled dogs to an electric bush.
I'm curious as to exactly where at Prospect that temperature was "officially" recorded. I don't know if I'd call Prospect Creek a "settlement". It was one of the old TAPS construction camps. Nothing there now but an old sign and a dirt road over to the overgrown campsite. Of course the Airstrip & Pumpstation 5 and the Jim River DOT Maintenance Station are right there. I guess that qualifies - both of those have been continuously inhabited for decades now, but weren't there in 1971 either.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
I'm curious as to exactly where at Prospect that temperature was "officially" recorded. I don't know if I'd call Prospect Creek a "settlement". It was one of the old TAPS construction camps. Nothing there now but an old sign and a dirt road over to the overgrown campsite. Of course the Airstrip & Pumpstation 5 and the Jim River DOT Maintenance Station are right there. I guess that qualifies - both of those have been continuously inhabited for decades now, but weren't there in 1971 either.
It was in 1971 when the -80 was recorded The Coldest Place in North America, Alaska Science Forum

I learned of it watching this Science of Winter | National Geographic Channel (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/science-of-winter-2818/Overview - broken link)

Old 02-28-2011, 06:51 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,019,420 times
Quote:
It was in 1971 when the -80 was recorded The Coldest Place in North America, Alaska Science Forum

I learned of it watching this Science of Winter | National Geographic Channel (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/science-of-winter-2818/Overview - broken link)
That's what I'm asking. There was no Pipeline in 1971. It wasn't authorised until 1973, and the Dalton Hwy wasn't even built until 1974. So who took the readings? Were they hanging out in the middle of nowhere (in the dead of winter) just for fun?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
That's what I'm asking. There was no Pipeline in 1971. It wasn't authorised until 1973, and the Dalton Hwy wasn't even built until 1974. So who took the readings? Were they hanging out in the middle of nowhere (in the dead of winter) just for fun?
I have no idea who took the reading, but you can find the -80 reading on all the internets.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,095,198 times
Moose. That temperature reading was beamed down by the original precursor of Pioneer V which was launched just South of my house in Eagle River....

Geesh! Did you not know?

Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,243,334 times
Warning Description: High Wind Watch

Warning Date: 4:53 am AKST on March 2, 2011

WarningSum:...High Wind Watch In Effect From Late Tonight Through Thursday
Morning...

Warning Message:The National Weather Service in Anchorage has issued a high wind
watch...which is in effect from late tonight through Thursday
morning.
An upper level disturbance will move across the Matanuska Valley
late tonight through Thursday morning. At the surface...the
pressure gradient will tighten and colder air will move in from
the Copper River basin. The combination of these factors creates
the potential for high winds in the Matanuska Valley.
Winds will increase this afternoon and evening and then peak late
tonight into Thursday morning as the upper level disturbance moves
through. Gusts up to 75 mph are possible during this period. Winds
are then expected to diminish Thursday afternoon and evening.
Precautionary/preparedness actions...
A high wind watch means there is the potential for a hazardous
high wind event. People are encouraged to closely monitor this
weather situation. Preparation for this potentially dangerous
weather event should begin now.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,243,334 times
Warning Description: High Wind Warning

Warning Date: 3:58 PM AKST on March 2, 2011

WarningSum:...High Wind Warning In Effect From 1 Am To 4 Pm Akst Thursday...

Warning Message:The National Weather Service in Anchorage has issued a High Wind
Warning...which is in effect from 1 am to 4 PM akst Thursday. The
high wind watch is no longer in effect.
An upper level disturbance will move across the Matanuska Valley
late tonight through Thursday afternoon. At the surface...the
pressure gradient will tighten and colder air will move in from
the Copper River basin. The combination of these factors will
cause high winds in the Matanuska Valley.
Winds will increase this evening and then peak late tonight
through Thursday afternoon as the upper level disturbance moves
through. Gusts up to 75 mph will occur during this period. Winds
are then expected to diminish Thursday night.
Precautionary/preparedness actions...
A High Wind Warning means a hazardous high wind event is expected
or occurring. People are urged to secure loose objects that could
be blown around or damaged by the wind.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:13 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,192 times
What an absolutely beautiful day in Homer today! Not a cloud to be seen! Man, if I could find work in that town, that might just be where I would move to. What a gorgeous place. Some of those areas in town are conspicuously snow-free though. Hmmm...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska