Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 06:32 PM

20,247 posts, read 36,935,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Yep -41 here in Fairbanks today. I was going to make a trash run but think I'll just stay home and cook some halibut instead.
My wife has to work until 6:00 PM, so I will stay home and cook for both of us and our dog. The dog is getting a Spanish style brown rice and chicken dinner, while my wife and I will have the following:

Garlic Chicken Fettuccine

-Fettuccine pasta (or any pasta you prefer)
-Heavy cream
-Mozzarella cheese
-Chardonnay wine
-Kosher salt
-Olive oil
-Paprika
-Parsley
-Garlic powder
-Onion
-Chicken pieces (cut into small squares)
-Zucchini (sliced)

Sauté the chicken, add some of the spices, and some olive oil to the pan. Start simmering the cream in a pot (don't burn, just simmer), and then add the pre-cooked chicken pieces, some mozzarella cheese, a little olive oil, and some of the spices. When simmering well enough and the taste of the ingredients in the pot taste good to you, mix-in about three tablespoons of whine, and have a taste to see if you like it, and add more wine a little at a time until it tastes just right (don't forget to salt to taste).

While the creamy ingredients simmer slowly, lightly fry the zucchini in olive oil. Add some of the spices to taste, and a little salt. Don't over-fry. The zucchini should be cooked, but a little crunchy. Meanwhile, boil the pasta for about ten minutes (don't overcook) with a little olive oil in the water. Drain the pasta, and place in the pan with the heavy cream/garlic/chicken mix and let it simmer a tad longer.

Spread the sliced zucchini on a serving tray, and sprinkle some parsley and paprika for looks and taste. Pour the creamy dish into a bowl or deep serving tray, and sprinkle some parsley and paprika over the top for looks and taste, and if you prefer more garlic taste, add some of this as well (the dish's taste is up to you)

By the way, if you like you can also serve this meal with some Italian bread that has been sliced, buttered, spiced to your liking, and put in the oven to heat for 25 minutes of so.
---------------------------
Now, back to the weather. I just looked out the window, and the thermometer is showing -40 degrees, but maybe it's either getting cloudy or foggy (?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 01:32 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,257,460 times
Bad up at the Pass today. Windy as heck, near zero visibility, that whole thing. Our friend who plows up there got called in on his day off this morning and may be spending the night. They're working hard to keep it open.

There is a push by the crew there to be more proactive in closing it instead of waiting for it to get so gnarly that people are getting stuck in drifts or going off the road. Something to keep in mind if you head down this way.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:23 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,646,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
My wife has to work until 6:00 PM, so I will stay home and cook for both of us and our dog. The dog is getting a Spanish style brown rice and chicken dinner, while my wife and I will have the following:

Garlic Chicken Fettuccine

-Fettuccine pasta (or any pasta you prefer)
-Heavy cream
-Mozzarella cheese
-Chardonnay wine
-Kosher salt
-Olive oil
-Paprika
-Parsley
-Garlic powder
-Onion
-Chicken pieces (cut into small squares)
-Zucchini (sliced)

Sauté the chicken, add some of the spices, and some olive oil to the pan. Start simmering the cream in a pot (don't burn, just simmer), and then add the pre-cooked chicken pieces, some mozzarella cheese, a little olive oil, and some of the spices. When simmering well enough and the taste of the ingredients in the pot taste good to you, mix-in about three tablespoons of whine, and have a taste to see if you like it, and add more wine a little at a time until it tastes just right (don't forget to salt to taste).

While the creamy ingredients simmer slowly, lightly fry the zucchini in olive oil. Add some of the spices to taste, and a little salt. Don't over-fry. The zucchini should be cooked, but a little crunchy. Meanwhile, boil the pasta for about ten minutes (don't overcook) with a little olive oil in the water. Drain the pasta, and place in the pan with the heavy cream/garlic/chicken mix and let it simmer a tad longer.

Spread the sliced zucchini on a serving tray, and sprinkle some parsley and paprika for looks and taste. Pour the creamy dish into a bowl or deep serving tray, and sprinkle some parsley and paprika over the top for looks and taste, and if you prefer more garlic taste, add some of this as well (the dish's taste is up to you)

By the way, if you like you can also serve this meal with some Italian bread that has been sliced, buttered, spiced to your liking, and put in the oven to heat for 25 minutes of so.
---------------------------
Now, back to the weather. I just looked out the window, and the thermometer is showing -40 degrees, but maybe it's either getting cloudy or foggy (?).
Ummm, I'm going to have to try that one. Italian is my favorite and that sounds delicious!

Old 01-02-2012, 01:09 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,942,379 times
Wind from the W (280 degrees) at 7 MPH (6 KT)
Visibility 10 mile(s)
Sky conditions clear
Temperature -27.0 F (-32.8 C)
Windchill -45 F (-43 C)
Dew Point -34.1 F (-36.7 C)
Relative Humidity 68%
Pressure (altimeter) 29.71 in. Hg (1006 hPa)

Old 01-03-2012, 02:50 AM

20,247 posts, read 36,935,109 times
Very cold tonight, already -42 by 10:00 PM.

From the NWS in Fairbanks:
Quote:
MIDDLE TANANA VALLEY-
INCLUDING...FAIRBANKS...FORT WAINWRIGHT...EIELSON AFB...ESTER...
NORTH POLE...MOOSE CREEK...TWO RIVERS...FOX...CHATANIKA...CHENA
HOT SPRINGS...SOURDOUGH CAMP
224 PM AKST MON JAN 2 2012

.TONIGHT...DECREASING CLOUDS. PATCHY ICE FOG.
LOWS 30 BELOW TO 45 BELOW...EXCEPT 20 BELOW TO 25 BELOW
IN THE HILLS. LIGHT WINDS.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:17 AM

Wind from the WNW (300 degrees) at 8 MPH (7 KT)
Visibility 10 mile(s)
Sky conditions clear
Temperature -26.0 F (-32.2 C)
Windchill -45 F (-43 C)
Dew Point -34.1 F (-36.7 C)
Relative Humidity 64%
Pressure (altimeter) 29.87 in. Hg (1011 hPa)

Old 01-03-2012, 06:23 PM

10 posts, read 18,383 times
My wife and I drove back from Chena Hot Springs Resort on the afternoon of Jan 1, and the outside thermometer on our rental car showed -38 or so almost the whole way back. Saw a bad accident just east of Nordale (there is a curve there where a car had left the road and landed upside down in the trees). Police and a wrecker were on the scene already so we did not stop.

Fountainhead Auto Museum was open so we spent a couple of hours there - one of the best auto museums I have ever been to. We also stopped briefly at the Pipeline Center up near Fox. We eventually wound up at Christmas in Ice around 4:30 PM and it was hella cold - could not stay outside more then 10-15 minutes at a time, even bundled up. The sculptures were beautiful though, and we pretty much had the whole place all to ourselves (go figure!).

So yes it was cold, but still plenty to keep us busy on a holiday weekend.

-Ax

Old 01-03-2012, 06:28 PM

What a gorgeous day. Ten degrees and not a cloud in the sky. I snowshoed out to the beach while the sun was out and felt a lot better than I have in a while.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:40 PM

Man, is it snowing out there. This is about the closest thing I've seen to a southern rainstorm here, except it's snow. Blowing all over the place; even the puppy didn't want to go outside. Looks like a good day to organize the garage.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:26 PM

It's cold!

Wind from the N (010 degrees) at 13 MPH (11 KT)
Visibility 10 mile(s)
Sky conditions partly cloudy
Temperature -32 F (-36 C)
Windchill -58 F (-50 C)
Pressure (altimeter) 29.55 in. Hg (1000 hPa)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska