U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 02:14 PM
ND? ND? started this thread

5 posts, read 20,567 times
Default logging jobs in alaska?

I've been a logger down in georgia for a little over a year now and i'm just gettin tired of living here. I always wanted to go out west and i tried farming in north dakota for a while but that just wasn't for me. I want a job where i can work outdoors and hopefully make a decent living. I don't want to get rich but logging down here is really a struggle - not much good timber left.

A buddy of mine went out to Alaska and said there was a lot of logging going on out there. he said I should try headin up there and looking in the SE part of the state. Is he right about how much logging there is in SE Alaska? Is it easy to get a job if you have the experience? I have been around logging my whole life and have a license in Georgia is anything required to be a logger in Alaska?

I know times are tough right now but are there any other industries hiring? I've heard fishing jobs are hard to get, how about oil jobs? Mostly I just want anything where I can work with my hands. Being somewhere with plenty of places to go camping or hunting is also a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 04:45 PM

5,320 posts, read 6,958,576 times
If he was in southeast Alaska 20 years ago he might have been doing some logging. If you want a logging job there now get in line behind the other thousand out-of-work loggers also looking for a job. Slim pickens. They aren't going to hire you unless your already there.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:03 PM

15,940 posts, read 15,500,663 times
Yeah, what stiff said, for the most part.

I'm not a fan of what the logging industry has done to my island, but you're just a guy looking for work so try these people...no wait. I'll DM you the info instead of putting it on the board for any idjit to see.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:19 PM

6,272 posts, read 7,757,961 times
Man, where were you this summer... I had to have some logs removed from my runway's final approach and nobody wanted to work for a good days pay while I was gone at work...

So I got down on my knees and prayed to the Lord on what to do... and you know that part of "Ask and yea shall receive", well I didn't get the new EDO 2000 floats I wanted, but God did send me a bunch of engineers to get it done for me and all for no charge! I got so excided when they showed up, I forgot to reset the date on the camera, but it was this fall! They even cut them up and hauled them off into the swamp! Took out about thirty trees!

Sorry, just couldn't help myself, had to show off my beavers....

Old 11-28-2009, 07:29 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,138,546 times
The logging industry is on-its-lips for a lotta good reasons...

Logging practices will have to change quite a lot before they will be back in the woods, but the logging industry isn't interested in change, they like it like it was, clear cut and leave the mess and all their trash behind...and basically get paid with taxpayer dollars for doing the logging by way of the roads they were putting in to gain access to the timber......what they are famous for

SE Alaska is a mess everywhere ya look due to friggen loggers....

For the most part the timber, what remains in SE, is nothing but pulpwood anyway....the friggen resource rapists got the good stuff years ago and it went overseas

Hopefully they will never be back.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:32 PM

And....don't listen to S9...he's fulla crappolla.....

Old 11-28-2009, 07:36 PM

What is amazing when we take a ship from Dutch Harbor to Ballard, WA, as you pass Neah Bay in the Straights, almost all the timber is gone on both the Canada and American sides. When we shipped through there in the 70's, you saw very little of clear cutting it.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:36 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,538,634 times
At one time the timber industry in South East supported 4000 direct jobs (including mine...). Today it's only 400. Your best bet is to contact the Alaska Forestry Association in Ketchikan. You can find them with a Google search.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
And....don't listen to S9...he's fulla crappolla.....
Still no EDO 2000's eh?

Old 11-28-2009, 10:24 PM

check the other thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska